• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How old is too old?

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
OK I just realized i have 30 gallon gas in my RV auxilliary tank, left over from when I took a coast to coast trip 2019 plus 15 gallon diesel in 3 5 gallon container. Is this fuel still usable even for lawn equipment lol.5BA7D82B-AABE-46B3-8900-44A1D8D771EE.jpeg

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
No answer, but following alone as I have old gas in my three Polaris UTV's. Engines still turn over and I was able to load them on my trailer a couple of months ago. Not sure I want to take the old gas out on the trails however. What does one do with old gas?

Jim

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure about the Diesel but the gas is junk. Maybe if it was stabilized heavy buy i wouldn't risk it considering how finicky small engine carbs are. Gas with ethanol has a 3 month life before it starts to break down pre ethanol it was a year before it did.
Some stabilizers will say on the bottle that with 10% ethanol it is only guaranteed to work for 1 year

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As far as disposal i would check with your town as to what can be done with it.
I go through 5 gallons of gas in my lawn equipment every month, so if never sits too long. But i do stabilize it in the winter when mowing stops just to be safe

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
As far as disposal i would check with your town as to what can be done with it.
I go through 5 gallons of gas in my lawn equipment every month, so if never sits too long. But i do stabilize it in the winter when mowing stops just to be safe
Yea my lawn equipment and boat I use non-ethanol, I just ask if i can try for lawn equipment cause i wont dare on my car or boat lol. This leftover gas is used for rv generator, I will just dump it 5 gallon at a time, we have disposal for oil and I will ask if they take old gas.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
treat it with some SeaFoam and send it. I have non-ethanol gas from 2015 that was properly treated that I burn in my small engines.
I have an old weedwhacker, I will try it

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What does the gas smell like? Smell normal or varnish? If it smells normal I'd mix it with fresh and find something to use it in.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A suggestion for the future… I’m assuming you have a generator on your coach, it is really a good idea to run the generator at least once a month for one hour and at least at 50% load.

If you are just looking to get rid of the gas then perhaps if it smells good, and doesn’t have water in it and it runs okay in your line trimmer, just run the generator with the AC(‘s) on, the fridge on electric, and the water heater on the electric side if so equipped. Basically turn everything on and run the generator for a few hours, this will consume several gallons especially if it is hot and the AC’s are running hard.

I’ve stored treated gas, ethanol gas to boot, in my toy hauler generator tank for years and it still runs fine. In your situation with the tank being full, and a non shall we say exhaling gas cap / vent the tank has not been breathing in and out and the fuel should be in good shape, especially if that tank is steel.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have an old weedwhacker, I will try it
I have had very good results with Opti-2 synthetic 2-cycle oil. It has a fuel stabilizer and no more 25:1, 32:1, 50:1 mix cans. Opti-2 is one mix for all of them and comes in handy plastic pouches, one pouch per gallon. I am finicky about what goes in my small engines and always keep a 1 gallon can in the SxS’s to run saws or weed whackers … one that I pulled out this spring had the last fill in 2019 and it smelled and ran fine in one of my saws.

Not really a solution for all of your gas but if you are going to make 2-cycle out of some of it, you can skip the sea foam and just go with this.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't answer, but I can tell you that I had my new Honda mower's engine crap out just after warranty expired. My 13 year old honda mower had been sitting outside for 3 years. When the new mower crapped out I went to the old Honda mower to start it and finish the yard. I had no idea what would happen. It started on the first pull with the gas that had been sitting for 3 years. I finished my yard with it and it ran like a champ.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I can't answer, but I can tell you that I had my new Honda mower's engine crap out just after warranty expired. My 13 year old honda mower had been sitting outside for 3 years. When the new mower crapped out I went to the old Honda mower to start it and finish the yard. I had no idea what would happen. It started on the first pull with the gas that had been sitting for 3 years. I finished my yard with it and it ran like a champ.
ya and worst case I just need to clean carb

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A suggestion for the future… I’m assuming you have a generator on your coach, it is really a good idea to run the generator at least once a month for one hour and at least at 50% load.

If you are just looking to get rid of the gas then perhaps if it smells good, and doesn’t have water in it and it runs okay in your line trimmer, just run the generator with the AC(‘s) on, the fridge on electric, and the water heater on the electric side if so equipped. Basically turn everything on and run the generator for a few hours, this will consume several gallons especially if it is hot and the AC’s are running hard.

I’ve stored treated gas, ethanol gas to boot, in my toy hauler generator tank for years and it still runs fine. In your situation with the tank being full, and a non shall we say exhaling gas cap / vent the tank has not been breathing in and out and the fuel should be in good shape, especially if that tank is steel.
After i test in weedwhacker I might go camping off grid to burn the gas

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
After i test in weedwhacker I might go camping off grid to burn the gas
That gas in that tank was probably what? Like $2.50 per gallon?? Seems a shame to waste it if it will work in your lawn and garden equipment and the generator….

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That gas in that tank was probably what? Like $2.50 per gallon?? Seems a shame to waste it if it will work in your lawn and garden equipment and the generator….
Last I remember i filled the auxilliary tank in New Mexico and all the stop from there to ATL (where i live then) is with electric hook up. I dont remember the price of the gas but it was pretty cheap then.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it's going to be diluted with new fuel, I'd run it. Yeah it may have some water content and be a little gunky, but the more fresh fuel it gets mixed with, the less of an issue that becomes.