• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How old is too old??

Lth101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would it be a bad idea for me to buy a 2006 AR230 that’s seems like it’s in decent shape? Is that too old?

This is what the ad says:

Boat is in pristine condition asking: $28,000

-new interior

-new teak yamaha mats

-new mooring covers

-jet boat pilot Lateral thrusters for reverse steering

-jet bot pilot thrust vectors for low speed steering

-jet boat pilot locking clean out plugs

-jet boat pilot throttle sync

-Led light bar

Led Cockpit lights

-wake tower

-Bimini Top

-Full sound system with amp

-Garmin gps chart plotter

comes with trailer it's turn key. See See less

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Holy cow that boat looks in great shape. I’d find out how hours are on the engines and take it for good water test. And probably have a mechanic you trust look it.

I’d also ask about the maintenance, any repairs and records if they have them.

The other obvious questions are why is the owner selling it and how much are they asking?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a 230.

There's a chance you will need major repairs in 3-15 years. To the tune of $1k to $10k.

Are you OK with that? Most boats of any age are ticking time bombs that will eventually need repairs, but they are such fun we buy them anyway. As long as you go knowing, do what you need to do.

Lth101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Holy cow that boat looks in great shape. I’d find out how hours are on the engines and take it for good water test. And probably have a mechanic you trust look it.

I’d also ask about the maintenance, any repairs and records if they have them.

The other obvious questions are why is the owner selling it and how much are they asking?
This guys asking 28k for it which is definitely higher in regards to similar year boats

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2006 AR240? AR230.

Lth101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a 230.

There's a chance you will need major repairs in 3-15 years. To the tune of $1k to $10k.

Are you OK with that? Most boats of any age are ticking time bombs that will eventually need repairs, but they are such fun we buy them anyway. As long as you go knowing, do what you need to do.
What major repairs? Engine repairs?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is a very nice boat but the price seems high for the age no matter how many hours are on it. From what I’ve seen, a boat of that age and in that shape usually goes in the low 20’s if not lower.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok? That really doesn’t answer my question
MR-1 engines cannot be easily worked on, without removing them from the boat.
After that, if you do not mind turning a wrench and following detailed instructions, that is good. If all sensors are working, and if the engines run on the hose for 10 minutes in no-wake mode-without overheating-that is, also, good.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A 2006 AR230 with HO engines and some nice upgrades.

I have taken my 2007 SX230 with HO engines which has a later, larger, hull design to Bimini, Bahamas five times and make 30 to 40 mile lake trips most summer weeks.

My greatest concern on that model of boat would be water getting into the ECU boxes behind the engine. Those boxes are $600+ each and will stick an ejector open possibly leading to engine damage if water gets in.

I would water test the boat for top speed using a GPS app on a phone. The speedo is not even close to accurate.

Assuming the engines peak around 10,200 RPM and the top speed is 45+ the engines and jet pumps should be in good condition.

$28K is $12K higher than pre-pandemic pricing.

I bet you can get a 2010 to 2014 AR240 for that this winter but not in as good of shape as this one. My opinion is that the 2009 232LS was the peak of Yamaha boats. The 2007 to 2009 230/232 series has a good combination of solid engines, a thicker hull than the later models and more freeboard than the earlier models.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, might need engine repairs eventually. It's almost 20 years old.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
^Not necessarily true, if the boat was well cared for, I'd buy it. Just not at 28k that is pandemic pricing when folks were desperate for a boat and would pay almost anything. This one is book priced at 22-25K. Use this only as a guide. But these boats, if cared for, are not ticking time bombs unless they have over 600 hours on them - then maybe, a big maybe. The engines on these older Yamahas are designed to outlive the hull, believe it or not. Plus, the older models don't have the electronics on them which are potentially a big problem. I have a 2008 SX230 which sat for 3 years until purchased brand new in 2011. So really, only 12 years old. It has been flawless and I expect it to be flawless for years to come. So long as one takes care of it which I have. In fact, I rarely use it now that the kids are gone and always have an itch to just sell it. But the boss says no. 2 years ago I would have obtained 30K for the boat, easy as I had inquiries and offers. Today? If I were to sell it, I wouldn't go less than 22K and I'd get it and someone would get a great deal. Why? Fair price (low book) but there is a documented history of dealer care on the boat. Drop boat in water. Turn key. Go. If the AR was cared for? Give him 20k and be happy. If he says no? Walk. But at 28K? Sorry, the pandemic is over.

Poor baby just waiting to go ripping down the river again this summer. Well, Labor Day coming up and a kid coming home for a wedding? Won't be long now!

!20230827_161506.jpg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's almost 20 years old. I want to set reasonable expectations. There is a chance you go another 10 years and it needs nothing. I think the chance diminishes as time passes. I bought mine with 100 hours and put 300+ on the next 6 years, and ended up needing repairs due to some corrosion on my manifold busting both hesds. It's a rare case but not unheard of. Generally if you consider long term, 10% of the boat value every year for maintenance and repairs, you are within ball park for anything that comes, and hopefully well under.

It is a true statement it might be flawless. I don't want to seem alarming or negative, just getting the juices flowing to get you to consider all possibilities.

For the size and shape, it's an awesome boat model. That and and 2007+ have slightly different shape where the 07+ is a little taller but a little slower is like lobster or steak. You can't go wrong with either.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce Said everything I was going to say. ECU's were my first thought. Price is too high.

Edit: But after all it is a B.O.A.T. , things break, I just had to replace a $460 Raymarine instrument. I could still use the boat...without auto pilot.
And I must say I have a thing for older boats as seen in my signature,.

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce Said everything I was going to say. ECU's were my first thought. Price is too high.

Edit: But after all it is a B.O.A.T. , things break, I just had to replace a $460 Raymarine instrument. I could still use the boat...without auto pilot.
And I must say I have a thing for older boats as seen in my signature,.
Sometimes it’s not even the boat that you’re spending $$ on. I just spent $300+ on brake parts for the trailer so I would also inspect the trailer. Look at the bunk boards to make sure they’re not rotten, date code of the tires, all lights work, winch works, leaf springs are not broke and that the disk brakes are working (discs should be shiny). I don’t see a spare tire on the trailer either.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve owned four boats (not counting pwcs), all of them jet boats. The 2006 SX 230 ho I had was the best of the bunch. Not one problem in the three seasons I had it and I drove it hard. Sold it with about 300 hours on the engines 10 or so years ago and the guy who bought it posted that it is still running strong just a few weeks ago. Like others have said , check the performance if you can (maxes at about 10k/10.2k rpm and 50 mph). Take it to a dealer or pwc shop to have the engines and other stats read, once upon a time my local dealer charged me $38 per eninge, now who knows. Also check the trailer / tires out throughly.

still at $28k, I think it is over priced but check for comps and nada.com . For that kind of money I’d expect a 2008 or 2009 232 limited s (last year of the 160 hp mr1 engines and last year of the 230 series).

food for thought: a new interior is about $6k installed, $3k for the skins and another $3k for labor, full sea deck cockpit another $1k, and $500 more for the thrust vectors and diverters, canvas mooring covers another $500, used. Light bar $400. Throttle sync, $200 if you can find one.

Last edited:

Fishwater2002

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think it also depends on the OP’s location, certain parts of the country like mine in the North East are more expensive vs a place like Florida where there is a ton of inventory. I see similar vintage boats selling for $26k around my way so it isn’t that far off on asking.

What I really want to know is what does someone get with a newer boat as far as refinements or ergonomics. I know when I first put my 04 SX230 in the water I was shocked at how loud it really was, I had heard that it was but I wasn’t prepared how loud it is in actual use. Or how the steering & throttles are a little stiff vs a typical IO, again I realize that there‘s 140hp of water shooting out of each nozzle so it will steer a little stiffer but still. So I wonder are the newer boats that much more refined to cover the increased cost? Because if not this boat at $28k looks pretty nice vs paying over $75k IMO.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sometimes it’s not even the boat that you’re spending $$ on. I just spent $300+ on brake parts for the trailer so I would also inspect the trailer. Look at the bunk boards to make sure they’re not rotten, date code of the tires, all lights work, winch works, leaf springs are not broke and that the disk brakes are working (discs should be shiny). I don’t see a spare tire on the trailer either.
+1 on everything in this quote.

Some folks offer neglect to do maintenance on their trailers. It’s very important to make sure the trailer is roadworthy, especially if hauling it a distance. Ask when the bearings were last repacked or replaced. I just bought a sailboat from an estate. Ended up putting two new pre-greased hub sets (milky grease on one) and two new tires/wheels (as there was no spare) on the trailer, before I even left the sellers place.

Jim

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That would be a hard no squirrelly Dan!

Salt water or fresh water ?
no engine hours listed?
Are parts still available for that boat? Like steering cables ?
What does the bilge look like? And under other hatches?
The fuel lines and such are beyond the replacement age.

Way too much money for that boat! Used boat prices are falling fast and the market for used boats is fast becoming a buyers one.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The good thing is there are so many MR-1s out there and the cables and steering are simple and standard, there are multiple sources of some critical parts, and plenty of used ones being parted out on eBay. Parts availability will not keep this boat on the hard of you are willing to be flexible. But for the money, unless you are in love with the 230 series as am I, perhaps a 2010 or 2011 240 series will be even more future proof? Best of luck whatever you decide.