• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to run Haulover inlet.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’ve seen my model boat run Haulover on a moderate day, I think it would be a hoot to run it at least once!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve seen my model boat run Haulover on a moderate day, I think it would be a hoot to run it at least once!
It's on my list as well. I've seen a 190 go through there before, so I know it can be done.

I want to know how to keep from stuffing the bow on the way out. I think I can see the timing and "surfing" to get back in. How the hell do you learn how to do this without risking life and limb to "learn on the job?"

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It's on my list as well. I've seen a 190 go through there before, so I know it can be done.

I want to know how to keep from stuffing the bow on the way out. I think I can see the timing and "surfing" to get back in. How the hell do you learn how to do this without risking life and limb to "learn on the job?"
You gotta keep the shield up, aka bow, like the 210 FSH Sport in the pic below. All that matters is the boats speed in the water, not how fast its going over ground. The outflow can be close to 10 mph, so in theory, in my boat, I’d need to be going 14 mph in the water and 24 mph over ground at max outflow, I do not think I want to attempt that As that would be a huge day at Haulover. Somewhere I have a link saved of a 210 FSH sport going out of Haulover on a decent day with 7 people on board, only one in the bow, one on the forward CC seat and the rest around the helm or in the rear jump seats, it could be 8 people if another is in the port jump seat.

5FEB72D5-53AF-4DC6-B1C7-F680F6D9A737.jpeg

Found it!

210 FSH Sport fail at 34 seconds. There was a fair amount of discussion here about this mooseknuckle having all those people up front. At least the little boy has a life jacket on.

210 FSH Sport Win at 3:14…. Riding the hump, most of the weight is centered.. they could have put big boy who’s riding in the bow in the port jump seat for the trip through the inlet but the pilot looks like a boss coming through there and no one spills their drink. There is only 7 in the boat. Just goes to show what you can do if you know your boat and its limitations.

Gotta practice on those crappy windy days at the home lake, and use some good logic. It’s still going to be scary as hell, read terrifying, the first time you do it if you are not used to going through big water.. I went through some 6’ waves on the Missouri river to get back to the boat ramp, they were very close together and I was going down stream and the wind was blowing up to 50mph coming up stream, as I’d go over one wave I’d hear the jets suck air and engines would hit the limiters.. didn’t stuff the bow but the bow splash hard, and the splashed water was caught by the wind and thrown up and over the side towards the helm, it was like standing in the wind and having someone throw a 5 gallon bucket of water on you from 5 feet away!

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the Vid upload. I plan on returning to the 48 and probably making FLA the new base camp so I'm keen on learning the ins-outs of all the ramps, marinas, etc. and Haulover is something I've had my eye on.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I enjoy the Haulover videos, but RARELY see any videos from INSIDE the boats. I've only found one (besides the video you posted)

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I would run it in our 19' with the right conditions, but there is no way the misses would come with me.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would try it just to see if I can. I didn't see anything in video of real use IMO. Manage speed to keep bow up accordingly. I find making quick micro adjustments using cruise assist extremely helpful in conditions like Haulover.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
210 FSH Sport fail at 34 seconds. There was a fair amount of discussion here about this mooseknuckle having all those people up front. At least the little boy has a life jacket on.

210 FSH Sport Win at 3:14…. Riding the hump, most of the weight is centered.. they could have put big boy who’s riding in the bow in the port jump seat for the trip through the inlet but the pilot looks like a boss coming through there and no one spills their drink. There is only 7 in the boat. Just goes to show what you can do if you know your boat and its limitations.
Best I can tell, the only real difference between fail guy and win guy here (aside from the bikini count) was the speed. Win guy kept a slightly faster speed and didn't let the bow drop. Fail guy all but stopped when he took the first one over the front.

Only way to keep the bow up is to stay at a relatively slow speed right? 10-14mph or so. Anything less and I'm just plowing water, anything more and I'm on plane and bow comes back down. Is it really just that simple as keeping the speed acceptable and the bow pointed up?

Also.....What the hell is out there that people keep going out for? I get the fishing, but seems like a lot of party-er's heading out. Big social location outside the ICW?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would try it just to see if I can. I didn't see anything in video of real use IMO.
Agreed, other than the local navigation tips like hanging a right when coming back under the bridge, this is just standard inlet strategy.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Best I can tell, the only real difference between fail guy and win guy here (aside from the bikini count) was the speed. Win guy kept a slightly faster speed and didn't let the bow drop. Fail guy all but stopped when he took the first one over the front.

Only way to keep the bow up is to stay at a relatively slow speed right? 10-14mph or so. Anything less and I'm just plowing water, anything more and I'm on plane and bow comes back down. Is it really just that simple as keeping the speed acceptable and the bow pointed up?

Also.....What the hell is out there that people keep going out for? I get the fishing, but seems like a lot of party-er's heading out. Big social location outside the ICW?
There are two factors and they both appear important. Weight distribution and speed, while the speed is very important, if too much weight bias is forward the bow will be hard to keep up, so win guy had the majority of the weight bias at the helm or slightly aft. Fail guy had too much weight forward and was going way too slow, perhaps on purpose? (As a side my dentist office has two TV screens in each room, one in front of you and the other on the ceiling. So while getting my teeth cleaned yesterday I started out with a world cat test on you tube that turned into Wavy Boats live from Haulover, man that looked nice and it was a relatively calm day, saw one 210 FSH cruise by)

Yes and yes, you are correct, keep the speed so you are riding the hump just before coming on plane. That gives the max thrust / control authority, with the highest bow position. I’ve used this quite a few times in 3-4’ high frequency wind driven waves on the lakes I have around here, other than the wind grabbing the bow splashes and throwing it back on you, the ride is quite smooth. This is where the cruise assist is really useful, makes it easy to make finer corrections to the cruise speed without the motion of the boat causing too great of throttle adjustments, although sometimes you do have to go full throttle to keep the bow from dipping too much, pretty fun stuff. Just like low speed maneuvering it just takes practice.

I think folks head out to go fishing or hang out at sand bars or just float, my guess is in the ICW somewhere. A lot of boats I see have those floating mats on the stern. Could be folks just like to get out on the open ocean and float around away from folks as well.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
[QUOTE="2kwik4u, post: 644486, member: 7138"

[/QUOTE]

Probably just saving time (or trying). If coming from Ft. Lauderdale it's either that or I would imagine a very long ride at 6mph through the ICW. Same idea to the South.

Matt_D

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the Vid upload. I plan on returning to the 48 and probably making FLA the new base camp so I'm keen on learning the ins-outs of all the ramps, marinas, etc. and Haulover is something I've had my eye on.
No more Hawaii Jetboat Videos? Oh no!

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's aweseome! I tried to subscribe to your channel but said it had no content. Did you change channels?
I use Youtube to upload but not necessarily a channel

Appreciate all the comments. Ill try to find old videos I have on ski.