• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I know some of you enjoy cigars - share!

Wrigman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m retired, but try to stay active around the house with chores and projects. Everyday around 15:00 I reward myself with a cigar and two fingers of bourbon. For cigars I usually have a Cain 550 Maduro and a Buffalo Trace. I’m a fan of CAO, Perdomo sun grown, Partagas my favorite but rarely have cigars are LFD, Diamond Crown and AF Opus X. As far as rarely bought bourbons, Blanton’s, Woodford reserve, Eagle Rare, Jefferson reserve and Pappy’s. Not Pappy Van winkle or Van winkle…. Too rich on my Pension budget.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don’t know if it’s good or bad but I’m about to enjoy. Picked it up at the “smoke shop” by me that seems to specialize in a different kind of smoke.

View attachment 173509
I like those a ton! I wouldn't smoke it on an empty stomach again, it's one of those I've moved to an after-dinner smoke. Burn was kinda crappy on mine, IIRC, but it still was a hell of a good smoke!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got some remodeling to do at the lake house, and @AZMark twisted my arm with his post, so I get to have a cigar without freezing my butt off. I am also testing out two Oreck air purifiers that I inherited, as well.

I picked up several whiskeys at Total Wine, and took a peek at their cigars, and came away with today's smoke, a Perdomo 10th Anniversary Maduro. I also grabbed a La Flor Dominicana double ligero for tomorrow or Saturday. The LFD gets better with age, but I can't manage to get more than a month before it's gone, but that's another story.

Anyway, on the Perdomo, I've had the 10th Champagne a number of times, so when I saw the maduro, I was looking forward to seeing how it compares. I also want to try the Sun Grown as well, as I've heard really good things about that one.

IMG_20220318_003054173.jpg

Not a fan of the Maduro - At. All. Plenty of promise pre-light, I was hoping all the great smells would translate into a great smoke. I haven't had a bad Perdomo ever, until this Maduro, and as a matter of fact, the Lot 23 is one of my favorite cigars ever. This Maduro was nothing spectacular after the light, and any flavors were fleeting, and completely destroyed by the peppery finish of every puff. If you're a fan of of spice bombs, you may like this, but this was a disappointment for me. I almost picked up the RP Sun Grown posted by AZ Mark, but this one caught my eye and I passed this time. Bad choice on my part 😕

It smoked very fast as well, which turned out to be the best thing about it, as I put it to rest halfway through, as the pepper was just killing me. Can't recommend this one, but if you see the Champagne, and are on the fence, it's nothing like the Maduro, proceed with confidence with THAT one. If anyone has had the Sun Grown, I'd be interested in your experience with it, as I'm looking to try that soon, as Perdomo's seem to do well with some time in the humidor.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the Oreck air purifiers, two huge thumbs up! I have no idea how old these are, other than a guess. I inherited them after my parents passed, and 2014 is the absolute newest these could be.

There's some fragrance cartridge thing that I removed, and I had them both set to medium, and on the ionizer setting. Left the porch to get a beer (to get that Maduro taste out of my mouth). Came back out thinking it would at least have a reasonably strong cigar smell at this point, but to my surprise, hardly anything! I'll know by tomorrow if the wife comments on it, but I will run it on high overnight, and I expect it to be unnoticed by morning.

At this point, it smells like it does after I run the window fan on high, exhausting everything out the open window. I have no windows open at all, with stellar results. I was talking to the wife about buying a RabbitAir air purifier and she reminded me about the two Oreck's. I figured if they didn't work (which is what I expected to happen), I'd grab the RabbitAir, so it wouldn't be freezing in the morning, when she likes to sit on the porch and have coffee and watch the birds. I think I may still grab one for home, but I will be testing a single Oreck over the weekend, to see if that's adequate, and test the other one at home, and use the $500 on a box (or two!) of LFD's instead.

If you guys have a porch or enclosed room that you can smoke in over winter, but the wife complains about the smell, I can wholeheartedly recommend the RabbitAir as well. A buddy has 3, and we have several guys smoking for card games, and his wife was the one to recommend it to us when my wife was talking to her.

I'll try to report back about the results tomorrow, for the Oreck XL I have. I'm willing to bet you can find these much cheaper now, and if it gets the wife to simmer down about the smell, I accept thank-you gifts in the form of cigars OR whiskey! 😁

IMG_20220318_015755605.jpg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMG_20220528_190217618_HDR.jpg

Nice fish fry courtesy of my son and his friend, they brought a buttload of crappie. Now it's time for a nice after dinner dessert. Nub Plus Habano 560. Haven't had one yet that didn't need to have a draw adjustment, but it's a really nice spicy treat

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just finished a Fuente Short Story, but like their Best Seller, Punch Bully along with Romeo Y Julieta and Partagas robustos. It just depends on how much time I have. Humidor is always full at my house!
My son and his wife just bought a house. The only thing that he has asked for help on is to make him a large humidor. I believe that I have taught him well!,,,,

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My son and his wife just bought a house. The only thing that he has asked for help on is to make him a large humidor. I believe that I have taught him well!,,,,
Good job! A great father/son project too. Post pics when you’re finished.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Spanish cedar seems like it's going to be pretty pricey right now, but depending on the size of the humidor, you can get away with Phillipine mahogany for some larger panels. I don't know if it's still this way with the lumber industry and the shortages, but luan plywood was made from this, and I've used it in an old wineador for shelving with great success. Drilled for airflow, it worked comparably to Spanish cedar for humidity regulation.

I couldn't find the cedar in thickness and sizes large enough for my purposes, which is how I discovered this on two different cigar forums. Lined the sides with Spanish cedar, and luan for the shelves. Served me quite well at the time, until I upgraded and went a different route for larger storage.

I would recommend looking for old non-working wine fridges for something awesome he can grow into. You'd be surprised how quickly you can fill one of those up! Here's the upgrade - and I may be putting the wineador back in service soon!

IMG_20220513_205124282.jpg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was coming here to post up tonight's treat. Stopped at Total Wine for some booze, and picked up a Perdomo sampler. I had the Lot 23 Sun Grown for the first time, and I now have a box on the way so I can let it dry out. This was one of the most over-humidified smokes I've ever had, but still one of the nicest smokes I've had. A little spice, but nothing terrible, and it quickly faded into the background. I had a rather large plug that had to be removed, but once I got the draw dialed in after removing the plug, it was just a gorgeous smoke and the experience was outstanding

The second pic shows the plug, it's biggeer than the cap I clipped off!

IMG_20220603_212826939.jpg

IMG_20220603_214320577.jpg

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We
I was coming here to post up tonight's treat. Stopped at Total Wine for some booze, and picked up a Perdomo sampler. I had the Lot 23 Sun Grown for the first time, and I now have a box on the way so I can let it dry out. This was one of the most over-humidified smokes I've ever had, but still one of the nicest smokes I've had. A little spice, but nothing terrible, and it quickly faded into the background. I had a rather large plug that had to be removed, but once I got the draw dialed in after removing the plug, it was just a gorgeous smoke and the experience was outstanding

The second pic shows the plug, it's biggeer than the cap I clipped off!

View attachment 179566

View attachment 179567

I noticed your cutter as well as the comment on the plug. Over the years I have experimented with numerous types of cutters, attached is my favorite, a simple very well sharpened long golf tee. I have a tendency to bite done on the cigar and plug it, with this you can re insert if it gets plugged up. Just my opinion!!!

Attachments

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We

I noticed your cutter as well as the comment on the plug. Over the years I have experimented with numerous types of cutters, attached is my favorite, a simple very well sharpened long golf tee. I have a tendency to bite done on the cigar and plug it, with this you can re insert if it gets plugged up. Just my opinion!!!
Nice idea!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been a loooong few weeks, busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest, and I have reached the point where I can do no more work until things dry and cure, so it's time for a smoky treat.

Nub Nuance Triple Roast. I like the Nuance line because it is just sweet enough and flavored lightly enough that it isn't cloying or simply too much to deal with, and the tobacco flavor is still present. They might be just a tad too sweet, but I like the balance they were able to achieve.

IMG_20220702_213843250.jpg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The wife wanted to have a smoke with me after coming home from the bar. Nub Nuance single roast for her (a favorite for her), and a Rocky Patel Sun Grown for me (a great selection I am a fan of).

IMG_20220709_024308561.jpg

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The wife wanted to have a smoke with me after coming home from the bar. Nub Nuance single roast for her (a favorite for her), and a Rocky Patel Sun Grown for me (a great selection I am a fan of).

View attachment 182249
That’s interesting. How many wives out there like an occasional cigar? Mine liked a Royal Jamaican, English robusto. They discontinued producing them and I the only one I have found that she likes since then is a Habana Punch, Punch and well, they are kinda hard to come by!

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My wife doesn’t smoke but I did a good job teaching my daughter and son. When I was teaching my daughter on flavors, I told her to see if she could taste hay, leather or coffee, or whatever. She said she tastes a table leg. Ha!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Stopped to get my tires balanced in a different part of town. Wait was an hour so I left, then noticed the cigar shop/bar across the parking lot and took a mulligan on the tires. I bet this place lives on this situation. Humidor was looking pretty bare but they have my favorite beer on tap.
Nice way to get some “work” accomplished on a Saturday afternoon.

C5E6BA75-7492-470D-A752-83DC0FA42D3A.jpeg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife doesn’t smoke but I did a good job teaching my daughter and son. When I was teaching my daughter on flavors, I told her to see if she could taste hay, leather or coffee, or whatever. She said she tastes a table leg. Ha!
Now for a retrohale lesson! 😄

I remember when I first tried it, and I never considered that I had a slight pepper bomb. Pushing it out through the nose felt like I just snorted a habanero pepper! No shame in saying I was crying! LOL

That’s interesting. How many wives out there like an occasional cigar? Mine liked a Royal Jamaican, English robusto. They discontinued producing them and I the only one I have found that she likes since then is a Habana Punch, Punch and well, they are kinda hard to come by!
My wife has one friend who tried a cigar, after getting over her shock at my wife. Her comment afterwards was "that was a lot nicer than I thought it was going to be". She had asked me for a "regular" one, not a flavored one, so I gave her a Nub Connecticut. They always used to put their smallest size in the samplers and I didn't like them as much as the larger rings, and I knew it would be super mild and not overwhelm her.

My neighbor has a buddy whose wife smokes on the regular, and some nice smokes too, and I follow a woman on Twitter who's an aficionado.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Now for a retrohale lesson! 😄

I remember when I first tried it, and I never considered that I had a slight pepper bomb. Pushing it out through the nose felt like I just snorted a habanero pepper! No shame in saying I was crying! LOL

My wife has one friend who tried a cigar, after getting over her shock at my wife. Her comment afterwards was "that was a lot nicer than I thought it was going to be". She had asked me for a "regular" one, not a flavored one, so I gave her a Nub Connecticut. They always used to put their smallest size in the samplers and I didn't like them as much as the larger rings, and I knew it would be super mild and not overwhelm her.

My neighbor has a buddy whose wife smokes on the regular, and some nice smokes too, and I follow a woman on Twitter who's an aficionado.
That’s good to know. I don’t think I’ve ever retrohaled on a spice bomb. Good advice!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A little double post for tonight. Went with the neighbors, as they had planned on going up river, further than we've ever been. Dinner, and bar hopping on the way back home meeting up with family and friends.

9+ hours later, and this was the wrap up to the day 😅. Diesel Unlimited barber pole, and I finished off the sampler bottle of Macallan's 12 I had. Two thumbs WAY up for both. I never had a barber pole before these, and this was the second from the Diesel sampler I got. Looking for an Asylum Ogre to try after this, and also hoping to score the Alec Bradley Filthy Hooligan Shamrock as well.

IMG_20220909_215310959.jpg