• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Im such an idiot

Meach

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok didn't search this but wait till the end. Went fishing at Collins Lake in North Cali. Just me and the wife. Blasted across the lake in my 2012 sx190. Get to a fishing spot... no fish. I go to move and engine turns over great...just won't start. Got out the manual and if I wasn't so smart and experienced it told me what was wrong... So the alarm that goes off and stops wouldn't stop. Had to set batteries to off to get it to stop. RPM Guage says low battery voltage
How can the battery be low if the engine turns over great?? Houseboat about 100 yards from us paddled over asked for a tow to boat launch about 1/2 mile away. He says not ready to go in if your stranded later I'll tow you when my days over. Ok guess I'll sit here. I asked my wife to check the safety switch with the lanyard she didn't know where it is. I looked and when I put the paddle besides the Capt chair I must have knocked it off lmfao...put it back on runs like a dream.
Another story for the grandkids...

Welcome, it's a big club

Because of this, I will know to look if it happens to me. Thanks!

But you would think it's such a common occurrence there would be a separate circuit to beep or a light to warm the operator... Engine not starting is not the most awesome indication of disconnected lanyard. That club has too many members.

Ok didn't search this but wait till the end. Went fishing at Collins Lake in North Cali. Just me and the wife. Blasted across the lake in my 2012 sx190. Get to a fishing spot... no fish. I go to move and engine turns over great...just won't start. Got out the manual and if I wasn't so smart and experienced it told me what was wrong... So the alarm that goes off and stops wouldn't stop. Had to set batteries to off to get it to stop. RPM Guage says low battery voltage
How can the battery be low if the engine turns over great?? Houseboat about 100 yards from us paddled over asked for a tow to boat launch about 1/2 mile away. He says not ready to go in if your stranded later I'll tow you when my days over. Ok guess I'll sit here. I asked my wife to check the safety switch with the lanyard she didn't know where it is. I looked and when I put the paddle besides the Capt chair I must have knocked it off lmfao...put it back on runs like a dream.
The worst is when you've just turned the engines off, ask you son to make sure batteries are off. He does, you take off your PFD and enjoy a few hours of swimming and relaxing. Everyone gets ready to leave get the PFD back on and the engines wont turn over... you check everything, swipe the lanyard out of the way checking the battery terminals, swipe the lanyard away as you check clean out ports, sit back down in frustration only to realize its been attached to the PFD and you've been getting it out of your way for about 30-45 minutes.

Someday, when I have some time, I'm gonna put three little LED's on the dash: one will light up when the lanyard is pulled and one will light up when the throttles are not at neutral and one will light up when the wet storage hatch switches are open...

Someday, when I have some time, I'm gonna put three little LED's on the dash: one will light up when the lanyard is pulled and one will light up when the throttles are not at neutral and one will light up when the wet storage hatch switches are open...
include your step by step install and parts.....lol, I'm sure there are a ton of people who will follow your lead

I put my boat in once a year, and I take it out once a year. In my total sample size of two seasons, I'm batting 1.000 for pushing the boat off the trailer, jumping in, turning the key for each engine, and being STUMPED for 30 seconds about why they turn over so nice but won't start. Then I see the lanyard on the dash (where I won't forget it), and try to act cool while I reattach it and get things running.

So wait you went over to the houseboat asking for a tow and they said no?

So wait you went over to the houseboat asking for a tow and they said no?

They said no until later in the day… when they were ready to go in.

The best thing one can do when something like this happens is to take a step back, relax and go through things one at a time. Too many times we get in a hurry because an alarm is going off or something is not working correctly. I’ve had many times my boat won’t fire up and just start checking the basics. Throttles in N? Lanyard connected? Clean out hatch locked down? Any alarm lights on? Usually in my case the throttles are not in N.

Well, I see the guys point in not wanting to tow our member back at that time, but he was willing to tow him back later. And as it turned out, it made our member search a bit harder and he found the cause and had the rest of the day on the water. Had he gotten towed back who knows when he would have found it. So alls well that ends well. And the weather wasn’t bad either from what I gather.

Things happen for a reason a lot of the time. Funny how things work out sometimes.

If it was me, I would have tried to help the guy trouble shoot his problem, and towed him back in.

Back