• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

IMPELLER TORQUE SPEC

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Since service manuals are not available for the 2021's yet, I looked at the service manual for a 2019 195S and it says 243 ft. lb. Sound right anyone?
Thank you.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No!

On my boat it is around 50lbft of torque.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
No!

On my boat it is around 50lbft of torque.
What year is your boat? Twin engine? And where did you get that spec? I couldn’t break them loose, had to take them to a shop. If they were 50 ft. Lb. , I could break them loose.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What year is your boat? Twin engine? And where did you get that spec? I couldn’t break them loose, had to take them to a shop. If they were 50 ft. Lb. , I could break them loose.
2020 FSH 210 Sport, twin TR-1 engines.

Got the torque spec out of the service manual I bought from Yamaha.

The number you stated, 243ftlb is A LOT of torque. The only thing I’ve ever tightened remotely that tight were the wheel bearing lock nut on a Dana 60 front end.. I think that was only 180ftlb.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
2020 FSH 210 Sport, twin TR-1 engines.

Got the torque spec out of the service manual I bought from Yamaha.

The number you stated, 243ftlb is A LOT of torque. The only thing I’ve ever tightened remotely that tight were the wheel bearing lock nut on a Dana 60 front end.. I think that was only 180ftlb.
I agree....The threads are long, and very fine pitch. The shop had a hard time busting them loose. I've got another day to figure it out. Thank you!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I agree....The threads are long, and very fine pitch. The shop had a hard time busting them loose. I've got another day to figure it out. Thank you!
I torqued them down until the factory marks lined up and called it good. Probably around 100 ft lb

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Only owners manuals are available at this time. I check weekly
Does it tell you that after you try to check out? This is where I bought mine, and I just now added one to the cart and they appear available.

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Yes, I’m using the spec from the service manual I previously downloaded from you
I can’t take the credit for that. @NSpradley put in the work to convert it all. I just wish I would have seen his post before I bought the hard copy!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Does it tell you that after you try to check out? This is where I bought mine, and I just now added one to the cart and they appear available.
Going to recheck right now. Thank you!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Still shows SERVICE manual N/A for 2021 212SE

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well, I’m surprised at that high torque level on the impeller! I would have never thought it would be that high.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
The torque is very high on the impellers. They are reverse thread so the engine torque will tighten them if you dont. The problem is if you dont tighten them enough then when you nail the throttle, the engine will spin the prop up and will be way over torque and you may never get the prop off. Your better off overtightening than under tightening and allowing the motor to do it. Typically for me to break free the impeller on my ski i am using a 6’ cheater pipe and i am jumping on the end of it. Sometimes i feel like i will break the shaft but that has yet to happen.

Last edited:

NSpradley

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can’t take the credit for that. @NSpradley put in the work to convert it all. I just wish I would have seen his post before I bought the hard copy!
i actually bought a hard copy then lost it. Yamaha refused to even give me a discount on another one so I bought access to the ebook to decipher the url of all the page images and saved them all and converted it to PDFs. That’ll show em!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
The torque is very high on the impellers. They are reverse thread so the engine torque will tighten them if you dont. The problem is if you dont tighten them enough then when you nail the throttle, the engine will spin the prop up and will be way over torque and you may never get the prop off. Your better off overtightening by hand than under tightening and allowing the motor to do it. Typically for me to break free the impeller on my ski i am using a 6’ cheater pipe and i am jumping on the end of it. Sometimes i feel like i will break the shaft but that has yet to happen.
I used my my 1 1/16" torque adaptor with a 24" 1/2" drive torque wrench. I wasn't able to get the 243 ft. lb., because the shaft started to twist. However, I feel confident they are tight enough because the factory torque markers line up. I used a 1 1/16" long combo wrench on the spline tool and laid it flat on the ground. I had my wife stand on the wrench while I torqued the impeller. Worked great considering I don't have a very big bench vise. I feel confident they will not back off during deceleration. Some videos on Youtube show guys basically just tightening them by hand. That's risky.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Doesnt sound like the bearings were pressed all the way until they bottomed out. There has to be zero resistance to turn the shaft. It should spin freely.