• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is this to much bearing grease?

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I regularly grease my bearing buddies on the trailer and never had an over heat issue, but am I over greasing the bearings? Does this amount seem normal?
IMG_3421.jpegIMG_3422.jpeg

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Why so much grease around the zerk fitting. Did it leak out past the bearing buddy? Or did you apply that much on the outside? Do you have the blue indicator under there?

Last edited:

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I guess that answers some of my questions LOL.
I have always kept up with how I received the boat/trailer from the dealer. I always just pump grease into the fitting until I see the bearing buddy move out and they grease starts to flow around the bearing. I will then take a paper towel and wipe the excess off so its no so messy looking.
I assume more grease is better than less...

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You are good, the bra will keep it off the rim. I assume you applied it there and it did not squeeze past the BB.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This was one of mine that failed and lost a bra going down the road. Grease leaked past the bearing buddy piston. Caused by heat from a stuck caliper. I replaced this BB with a new one

67AA4663-3A42-4B3A-87FF-564D81CF413E.jpeg

Last edited:

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
This was one of mine needing grease, shown by the blue indicator that pushed a bra off going down the road. Grease leaked past the bearing buddy. Caused by heat from a stuck caliper.

View attachment 202371
I don’t think I have that. When I squeeze grease into the fitting, I can see the spring move out towards me and any water pushes out. I have the standard bearing buddies in the shorelandr trailer that comes with our Yamahas.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That is too much grease. All that grease on the outside like that means the grease has gotten hot, expanded and pushed the piston out to the stop, had nowhere else to go, then pushed past the seal of the diaphragm/ piston.

If memory serves, when the bearings are cold the floating diaphragm / piston should just be able to be wiggled by pushing on one side. If it is fully collapsed it will not wiggle when one side is pushed on and a little bit of grease needs to be added.

The late model trailers did not come with the blue indicator.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Blue indicator type instructions
A78C9D8E-C6F7-4AFE-A85B-91AFA0D6A415.png

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It’s easy to want to put in too much grease, I’ve done it several times. It just makes a mess under the bra when there is too much grease, and I would theorize that when over filled and the hub gets hot and the grease escapes around the piston it may release all the pressure and allow the piston to collapse to its seat before the piston seal re seats which could allow a vacuum to form when the hub is dunked and rapidly cooled.

The whole point of the BB is to keep a tiny bit of positive pressure on the grease inside the hub so a vacuum can‘t ever be formed inside the hub when it goes under water and pull water in, the piston floats in and out as the grease heats / expands and cools / contracts.

5DDBB505-E0EF-45F1-84CD-D04BEB931300.jpeg

I try to remember to pull the bras off and wipe out the little bit of water that gets pulled in there. A thought just occurred to me, when I put the bras on I push in on the center, wonder if I just used the outside if that would help to keep a vacuum from forming in that area and pulling water in 🤔.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
LOL only inspecting every 5 years?! You know how anxious some of us would get if that were the case?!🤣

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Less is more at this point in time. Next time I grab the bot I will wipe all the excess grease off and see “actually” where the spring is prior to adding my lube.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Going back to this thread. I had the new tires put on and when I got the boat home I wanted to ensure proper inflation and when I touched the right wheel, the rim was hot, but the left one wasn’t. I wiped all the grease (very dirty) from the hub and applied new grease (about 10 pumps) until the spring and zirc stopped moving then wiped the balance away. Should I be ok like this prior to putting the dust covers back on?
left wheel
IMG_3922.jpeg
right wheel
IMG_3923.jpeg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No, just let the pressure equalize, wipe off the excess and cap it.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
No, just let the pressure equalize, wipe off the excess and cap it.
Fantastic, thanks! BTW, new tires made a world of difference. No more fender vibrations and pulls so smoothly again.