• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet Boil Stove

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My JBN friend @fatboyroy and I have chatted about making hot meals / coffee on board our boats and I sent him the pm below this morning.. thought I would share my test results with all the members with the hopes that some may find my experience useful.

Hi Roy!

So I bought a Jet Boil Flash the other day and have done a bit of testing. One thing that is a bit deceiving is that the safe boil level is 2 cups, or one 16.9floz bottle of water, or roughly half of the cup, which is kind of advantageous in and of itself. I also looked at the Jet Boil Stash which looks more like a traditional stove and little pot. Both of these models will hold the burner itself inside the cup / pot and a 100 gram fuel canister. I bought the 230 gram fuel canisters, those will not fit inside the cup / pot. The included three legged base holds the 100g or the 230g fuel canister.

The Flash does indeed boil that water in 100 seconds at 4000’, there is a flame like symbol on the side of the cup that changes color from the bottom to top as it is heating, from clear to orange that lets you know it is done. That and the fact that the cup is kind of moving around from the water boiling! Be sure to light the burner first, then place the cup on the burner and then turn it up to full blast. The Jet Boil Flash has a built in push button starter which is very convenient.

I also bought the coffee press attachment and seems to work pretty good, I’ve not used a press but one other time in my life so I’m having to adjust the amount of grounds to get the preferred taste, this mornings brew was better with a tad more grounds. Both the Flash and the Stash system have the same type of lid, a flexible type of plastic lid with a sippy slot and perforated vent and a hole in the center of the lid for the coffee press shaft. So the water boils in roughly a minute and a half, dump in the grounds and stir, put the press in push down to just where the water is starting to come through the screen to hold the grounds in the water, wait 3-5 mins, push the press down slowly and you have two cups of coffee. About the same amount of time it takes to make 5 cups in my small Mr. Coffee.

The bottom of the cup stays kind of hot after boiling the water, so you have to be careful where you set it down. But the base cools down rather quickly, even faster if you dump the hot water out.

I also picked up two freeze dried breakfast skillet meals to test out, one by Peak, and the other by Mountain house. I tried the Peak meal yesterday and it was pretty darn tasty! I‘d definitely recommend that one, I’ll try the Mountain House one today. You add the boiling water to the meal pouch, resealable on both the Peak and the Mountain house, stir and let stand 15 mins on the Peak, shorter on the MH. The Peak is a bigger meal with 680 calories compared to the MH 450. I have a big appetite so the Peak skillet breakfast may turn out to the be one I keep around for breakfast. The cost of the Peak was I believe $12, and the MH was around $10. And the Peak meal looks like the picture when it is done reconstituting after 15 mins.

Conclusion: You may have to hold onto the unit while the water is heating up if you have some wave action on the boat but it won’t take long. The unit is small and lightweight. On the side of the 230g fuel canister it shows that will heat the two cups of water to boiling 55 times… pretty amazing really. I think this system would be great on our boats as it boils water quickly and efficiently. So far, the freeze dried meals are tasty, filling and satisfying and seem to be rib sticking. While the meals do cost a bit, the fact you can put the boiling water in the pouch, then eat out of the pouch then put it in the trash means you have a spoon to clean and that is it if you are using a non disposable spoon.

View attachment 161784View attachment 161785

I have been using them for years. A bit expensive but I get a lot of use out them

Whenever I am doing an overnight I pack one for a quick hot chocolate or instant coffee in the morning while I am setting up the grill

After boating/hiking season they (I have two) get packed in my vehicles as part of our winter emergency kit (you see I live in Buffalo NY…)

I got one several years ago for my trailerable sailboat. Works well.

Jim

Update:

The Peak skillet breakfast was a lot better than the Mountain House one.

Great stove. I used one for 30 days on a solo motorcycle trip from Maryland to the Arctic Ocean and back. 12,900 miles 2800 off road. Camped 21 daysView attachment 161926

Man, you must love to ride! That is a lot of miles in a short time!

Bet that was an epic trip.

Jim

Nice VStrom! We use Jet boil stoves on our remote Kayak trips, awesome little heaters.

I saw the beak and thought it was a V ;-)

Back