• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet intake problem

amcnaughton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We were driving in the channel when suddenly it felt like we ran a ground. Immediately shift to neutral. We were in plenty of water but the starboard engine sounded funny. Got the boat out of the water and noticed this…trying to figure out what it could be that broke in the drive or intake? There’s no scratches or anything under the boat to indicate we ran anything over or collided with anything. All transducers are intact. Thoughts?

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
pictures are not clear at all and remember on a jet drive there is NO NEUTRAL you shut it off to prevent any damage if something is in the pump , other wise the pump is turning.

amcnaughton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It’s hard to get great photos. The first photo is looking into the starboard clean out port. There’s a black metal thing stuck and at the end of it you can see all kinds of frayed wires. I wasn’t sure what kind of components could be near that intake grate that had wires like that.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Go under the boat and remove the intake grate then pull out whatever you ran over and sucked into the pump then inspect the impeller for damage if it looks ok reseal and reinstall the intake grate

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pull your affected pump, very easy to do. You will be able to see the extent of any damage and fix the problem.

amcnaughton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Okay do you think the pump and other damage would be covered by warranty?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Okay do you think the pump and other damage would be covered by warranty?
Heck no you ran over something and it went in the pump , go under the intake and get it out and it is probably not a big deal.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your insurance may cover it if you need to file a claim.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m not sure if this video is relevant any more with newer boats. This is what I watched though when I had to remove the pump in my 2012. Hope it helps. My guess based on the pic is you sucked something with a fishing lure attached to it. Good luck.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
looks like you sucked up a ev battery, hover board or e-bike battery

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think you ran over and sucked up an electronic component of some kind and now it’s causing the cavitation you experienced. As Jeff stated, just remove it and you should be fine (unless it damaged / dinged the impeller, in which case you may still feel cavitation after the obstruction is removed).

FYI - I ran over a large piece of wood with my Waverunner once. It caused the engine mounts to fail, threw the engine and shaft out of alignment and the ski to take on water. My insurance company paid close to $2k for the repairs because the damage was caused by a collision. The last thing I would want it to have to bring my boat or ski in for repairs just before or during boating season, depending on how busy the shop is and the availability of replacement parts the season may be over before it begins.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
looks like you sucked up a ev battery, hover board or e-bike battery
Probably one from the electric surf boards people are riding no , I hope no one was on it " just kidding"

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just remember there is NO NEUTRAL if you ever have that happen or something similar shut off the engine.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m not sure if this video is relevant any more with newer boats. This is what I watched though when I had to remove the pump in my 2012. Hope it helps. My guess based on the pic is you sucked something with a fishing lure attached to it. Good luck.

Thats a good video, but it is not necessary to split the pump up that way on the newer boats. On the newer pumps there are 8 14mm headed bolts, it is only necessary to remove the inner most four, closest to the transom, as well as the 10mm headed bolt. Leave the directional nozzle attached to the pump. Be careful to pull the pump and shaft out straight back, do not let the pump drop or angle down while you pull it out.

Also, there is no need to remove the bolts and bushings on the reverse gate actuator, simply slide the attachment connector collar back and it lifts off of the ball. If you do not have finger nails, just use a flat blade screw driver.

If you do not have a service manual you should get one, step by step instructions on how to R&R the pumps, what materials you need as well as torque values for the fasteners. Find your service manual here; YAMAHA MANUAL STORE

Be sure and grease the splines of the shaft with molybdenum disulfide grease, and a thin coat of marine grease behind the splines past where the seals ride on the shaft when you reinstall the shaft / pump to keep from cutting the seals. Again, don’t let the pump drop down when you reinstall it, keep the shaft parallel with the bottom of the boat.

Last edited: