• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot's New Surf Tech, Thrust Vector Wake

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the heavy steering a pain or should there be concern about long term effects on steering components? I think that would be my biggest concern.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is the heavy steering a pain or should there be concern about long term effects on steering components? I think that would be my biggest concern.
That's a great question.. not sure anyone can answer yet. How many hours do people have on them so far? Most are weekenders.

Does it wear down equipment quicker on an older boat that is closer to have cables replaced then a brand new boat..

Not sure anyone can answer the long term effect yet.

I havent decided if I will remove for my trip this next week. Aprox 400miles already planned of travel in boat next week while we are on vacation

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have always held this philosophy, "less stress is best". With that said we knew going into this that there was some added weight in the wheel but not more than we felt the system could handle. I feel that for now there is no real danger but obviously less is better. We're hoping to have a simple workaround soon.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
We have always held this philosophy, "less stress is best". With that said we knew going into this that there was some added weight in the wheel but not more than we felt the system could handle. I feel that for now there is no real danger but obviously less is better. We're hoping to have a simple workaround soon.
Is this also your feeling if we are using the L13 cone?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a great question.. not sure anyone can answer yet.
Seriously...

LOL, if there is one think that JBP and CObra would agree on it would be this. Excessive heavy steering is detrimental to the linkages.

As an aside, and a possible hijack (OMG!), that is the primary reason I like Cobra's secondary rod (for 2015 MY - AK twin boats) as it takes some of the force off of the cables on the pump with the factory (only) rod (STRBD?).

--

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm not very familiar with the L13 cone but if there is added flow or pump pressure one could reason that the forces would be greater. Our new deflector design which we begin testing today or tomorrow will produce less lift on the part and will reduce stress on the system by my estimate 66%. The question is how does it perform from a dry ride perspective.

The reason that this test is possible now is due to the addition of the secondary deflector and the jet wash deflector. Without those two pieces being in existence during early and middle testing, some of the geometry we decided upon with the main deflector had to be more restrictive in regards to inboard jet wash deflection. Now that we have two other features handling some of the deflection we believe we can reduce some of that restrictive geometry and still produce a clean tube ride and surf wave.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh God... increasing your pump efficiency and thrust is detrimental to your steering...
I have to stop reading, this just makes my head spin.

For anyone reading this and planning any longer trips, for example a trip to Bimini, here is a thought: personally, I would not want to have excessively heavy steering on that trip, or have steering components epoxied to my pump for that matter. IMHO.

Here, I said my piece. YMMV, of course.

Over and out!

--

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
FYI if you remove the Thrust Vector Wake while you're waiting for replacement parts from JBP, the up stops can remain installed as they do not interfere with the reverse gate or steering linkage. You can basically go back to stock setup while you're waiting for new parts.

Also it is not possible to add the Thrust Vector XV or XL back to the boat if the up-stops are installed. If you're looking to add your old Thrust Vector system back to the boat while awaiting new parts, be advised that the fins will not function properly due to the up stops obstructing the movement of the older fins.

mrtrav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
FYI if you remove the Thrust Vector Wake while you're waiting for replacement parts from JBP, the up stops can remain installed as they do not interfere with the reverse gate or steering linkage. You can basically go back to stock setup while you're waiting for new parts.

Also it is not possible to add the Thrust Vector XV or XL back to the boat if the up-stops are installed. If you're looking to add your old Thrust Vector system back to the boat while awaiting new parts, be advised that the fins will not function properly due to the up stops obstructing the movement of the older fins.
How difficult would it be to remove the upstops once installed?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
if you are waiting on replacement parts, you don't. You leave them on while boating finless. I have been finless for 3 weeks now.

If you don't plan on re-installing, then get ready to knock them off with a BFH, as Epoxy is fairly permanent. Keeping in mind, blunt force from the side should knock them off, as they are designed for more rotational force than any sort of side force.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not too bad but youve got to remove the nozzle from the boat and get the up stop clamped into a vice to get them off without running risk of scratching or damaging the nozzle.

Let me know if you need more details. Also if you could bear with us on this, we may have a solution pretty quick here. Testing as I type this.

mrtrav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Not too bad but youve got to remove the nozzle from the boat and get the up stop clamped into a vice to get them off without running risk of scratching or damaging the nozzle.

Let me know if you need more details. Also if you could bear with us on this, we may have a solution pretty quick here. Testing as I type this.
They are staying on for the time being, doing more testing this weekend to get a final verdict on how the current setup fares. Do you have a ballpark on when you think the replacement parts may be available?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Also if you could bear with us on this, we may have a solution pretty quick here. Testing as I type this.
Why do I have an image of McGruber sitting in a cell with a timebomb and a paperclip yelling into a cellphone while typing on his computer. "Just another day, we almost have it"

Good luck buddy. Nobody is going to die in the meantime!

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Lucky 13 cone is not compatible with the original TVW setup. The increased thrust caused the bolts to bend and even caused the reverse gate to catch. F0C235B2-056A-4932-A98A-D89E3CD8EB12.jpeg74749F37-73B6-4174-87EE-7D5F4FCBA9C3.jpeg2582B7F9-9857-434F-A596-F85D25C5C01F.jpeg

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yikes. Confirmed that's a result of the cone and not an installation or material issue?

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yikes. Confirmed that's a result of the cone and not an installation or material issue?
I believe it's a result of two things:

#1 For the original shipment the included gauge which placed the deflector to low for the 195's

#2 The increased thrust of the 160mm pump on the 195's along with the Lucky 13 cone resulted in the issue.

I would be very hesitant to install the TVW on any boat with any after market performance products until further testing has been done.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would be very hesitant to install the TVW on any boat with any after market performance products until further testing has been done.
Did that damage happen the first time out?

And if those bolts broke at high speed what would be the effect on steering?

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did that damage happen the first time out?

And if those bolts broke at high speed what would be the effect on steering?
1st Trip out I noticed the heavy steering and ran at WOT for a few miles, however I had a boat full with 4 Adults and 5 small kids.

2nd Trip out 2 adults with 2 small kids, similar situation ran WOT for a few mile, then once I got to the dock I felt the throttle sticking and that's when I knew the reverse gate was catching. It was not till I took the TVW off did I realize the bolts were bent.

Note: both day's no ballast was used.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We ran our 195 for an hour at wide open throttle And did not experience this so I can only imagine that the deflection angle was a bit low or that the added pump pressure caused it or both.

In order to make the part extra durable we are working on a solution which involves decreasing the up force on the deflector. This way no matter what the modification the part will still work as designed.

Last edited:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They are staying on for the time being, doing more testing this weekend to get a final verdict on how the current setup fares. Do you have a ballpark on when you think the replacement parts may be available?
Looking to get knocked out in a couple of weeks.