• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Joined the Pellet Smoker Club

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The pellet smokers are too complicated for me. I got a weber Smokey mountain charcoal smoker. I've done overnight smokes with no issues or attendence. No moving parts. There are 2 turkeys under all this meat.
20171111_114339.jpg

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's what I thought until we had the opportunity to use a Traeger in the home we rented in Scottsdale over Easter. It literally was as simple as running a gas grill with the benefits of a charcoal grill. My wife was sold.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For those who are looking and want one made in completely made in America look at the MAK grills. I have had one now going on five years. I have it on my back deck sometimes covered and other times not. I use it year round in the snow rain or heat. Here are two photos before and after cleaning which I did on Sunday

Attachments

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's what I thought until we had the opportunity to use a Traeger in the home we rented in Scottsdale over Easter. It literally was as simple as running a gas grill with the benefits of a charcoal grill. My wife was sold.
Until the screw motor breaks, or get burn back, or the hopper clogs, or the thermostat goes out... I was set on a trager until i read the reviews. With the wsm i light the charcoal, fill the water, add food and is good for 12-18hr.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All I can say, is walking through the Costco meat department has a whole new meaning now.

I bought these two gems last night, and they are going on at 5am tomorrow. I hope to have them ready for guests around happy hour!! I also attempted a firmware update on the new controller. It seems to be up to date for now as it held.
That's funny, I just stopped yesterday and picked up a pork belly to make some bacon, and we decided to get a pork shoulder too. Gonna split it up and try a few different recipes for carnitas! Happy meating!

I had a Weber smoker. Nothing wrong with it, just different. I prefer my Traeger. Much like learning to cook on the Weber, once you have a setup that you like and that you're familiar with how to deal with, it's "foolproof" once you've got it dialed in. The Weber is the same, and there's plenty of folks who've had problems or frustration learning how to use it, and have completely opposite experiences.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Until the screw motor breaks, or get burn back, or the hopper clogs, or the thermostat goes out... I was set on a trager until i read the reviews. With the wsm i light the charcoal, fill the water, add food and is good for 12-18hr.

I’m glad you and I read the same horror stories about the first generation Chinese Traegers. I’m sure glad I held out for this second gen Pro series which addresses those issues with the updated controller, current firmware and brushless motor on the auger. I even avoided those shitty pellets and am using only Lumberjack pellets for the low amount of dust. And the app will warm me if the hopper/auger clogs before an issue comes up.

Thanks for looking out for me and I will be sure to vacuum out the dust so I don’t have one of those burn backs like the idiots that don’t know how to maintain a pellet grill. What would I do without you looking out for me. I suppose I would have to take advantage of the three year warranty and get a new one. Ahh gee

Thank you! You are a true friend.

Was that sarcastic enough? Maybe I will pick up a Weber kettle off the curb as a backup. They do work well. I will give ya that

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Weeb

Not a plug, you need to pull out the old one, match the new wires up to the old one, and wire nut them together. I silicone'd the wire nut to make it a bit weather resistant. IIRC, they give you a wiring schematic, and there's 3-5 wires (can't remember exactly) to connect. Nothing difficult at all. It can be done in 15 minutes, and that's if you're a slow reader LOL
Thanks I’ll keep this in mind if the issue persists.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have had tons of smokers over the years. I even built my own, that I competed with, a backwoods clone. I currently own 3 smokers. My Yoder pellet pooper, my backwoods clone, and a WSM 22inch. On my clone and wsm, I use a BBQ guru - Digi Que. The absolute best briskets I have ever cooked, came off the WSM. That is a great smoker for not a lot of money. I love my pellet pooper, having had one for 20 years plus. You set the fire ring up on a WSM right with a guru and it will run perfect for the entire cook of a brisket. If you light the entire ring and not just one side, you will have to reload fuel. I find it hard to beat a water smoker in cooking. I typically will put a water pan in my Yoder when cooking brisket in it.

I just pull this pic from my build from the q joint forum
smokerfront1.jpg

Last edited:

Ismael Breton

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a brand new (still inside box) grill cover for the Traeger 780 Pro that I'd be willing to sell for $50, in the event anyone needs one.