• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

K&N air filter test

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thought some of you may find this test interesting.

K&N filters today are not the same as they were years ago.. and today’s K&N filters, well…. Well read the test for yourself.

What I like about this test is that it was done in a lab, using ISO 5011 test procedures under tightly controlled parameters to test each air filter the same as the next.

I had a K&N filter on my last diesel truck, and was using used oil analysis at the same time. I found this test after getting some high sodium readings in my oil but did not have coolant in the oil which is typically where the sodium would come from. After reading that test I thoroughly investigated the down stream ducting from the K&N and found fine grit that was passing through the K&N filter. The only company that I know of that tests each of their oiled filters is S&B filters.. as you will see in the test article K&N does not test their filters and got pretty hot under the collar when their filters were actually tested against their claims.

I see I never explained the high sodium levels in the UOA. The high sodium levels came from road salt from a trip I had gone on in Idaho.

If AC Delco is OEM, then it appears OEM wins if engine longevity is the goal.
Indeed!

As the author states …any more than necessary is too much

CB6A08E1-D55F-452C-B94D-BC0533C934C0.jpeg

In the case of the RIVA filters I put in I saw a 2.5% increase ( 200 rpm at WOT ) in rpm’s, what that equates to in terms of HP I have no idea, but there is very little if any dust / grit on the lake.

Last edited:
Indeed!

View attachment 226042

In the case of the RIVA filters I put in I saw a 2.5% increase ( 200 rpm at WOT ) in rpm’s, what that equates to in terms of HP I have no idea, but there is very little if any dust / grit on the lake.
So...would you recommend a RIVA filter for my 2023 AR195 with the SVHO engine? If I picked up 200 rpm's then it would be worth the $120 to me, but I've seen other comments here that stated absolutely no difference was noticed when switching.

So...would you recommend a RIVA filter for my 2023 AR195 with the SVHO engine? If I picked up 200 rpm's then it would be worth the $120 to me, but I've seen other comments here that stated absolutely no difference was noticed when switching.
Yes. Especially if your engine is not reaching rated rpm. An easy way to test this is the next time you are on the water make back to back runs and check your rpm’s and speed. Next, after making sure the air box is clean, remove the oem filter and repeat the back to back runs. If you picked up rpm and or speed with no air filter (Replace the oem air filter once you’ve completed your test) then the RIVA will duplicate the no paper filter element test. If you did not experience any gains by removing the oem air filter then the RIVA filter would not be worth the investment, spend that money on fuel instead.

Last edited:
Indeed!

View attachment 226042

What was your max RPM before, and what was it after? Did you do the test on the same day? Or keep the OEN filter on one engine and the RIVA on the other during the test? For us with twin engines that would be a pretty undeniable proof since it’s the same run, wind, current, etc.

What was your max RPM before, and what was it after? Did you do the test on the same day? Or keep the OEN filter on one engine and the RIVA on the other during the test? For us with twin engines that would be a pretty undeniable proof since it’s the same run, wind, current, etc.

Initially I made the runs with and without the stock air cleaners to see if there was a difference and there was.

When I got the RIVA air filters I made back to back runs on the same day with the same conditions. I checked rpm’s with the stock air cleaners with run into the wind and then down wind. Took the stock air cleaners out and made the same runs, basically 200 rpm gain. Put the rivas in made the same runs and got the same 200’rpm gain. Put the stock filters back in and made the same runs 200 rpm loss. Reinstalled the Rivas made the same runs again 200 rpm gain.

If memory serves I had 7500 rpm’s with stock air cleaners and with no filters or the Rivas I was at 7700 rpm.

As I said previously just go out and make some runs with and without your stock air filters. If there is a gain without the stock air cleaners in place you’ll see the same gain with the RIVA air filters.

You might check out this thread wherein @Corsair21111 saw gains after removing the ribbon AND the air cleaners. Pretty sure he is running the RIVA air filters now as well.

I have a 2023 255xd. It has ribbon deletes, crankcase breathers and the riva filters. I saw a max top speed of 57 on the Speedo and I believe 7700-7800 rpm’s. Going to flash it with Riva tunes this weekend. Will report back.

I have a 2023 255xd. It has ribbon deletes, crankcase breathers and the riva filters. I saw a max top speed of 57 on the Speedo and I believe 7700-7800 rpm’s. Going to flash it with Riva tunes this weekend. Will report back.
What were those stats stock?

I understand, I’m curious how the boat performed totally stock as delivered from the factory.

Sorry. Misunderstood your question. 7600 at 53-54 mph stock

Sorry. Misunderstood your question. 7600 at 53-54 mph stock
No worries! Were the conditions the same on the days of the totally stock runs and the modified runs? Fuel load, people/cargo, temperature and wind.

No worries! Were the conditions the same on the days of the totally stock runs and the modified runs? Fuel load, people/cargo, temperature and wind.
The runs were informal but more or less, same conditions. Last weekend, I had my wife and three kids and 3/4 tank of gas and saw 54 on Speedo

The runs were informal but more or less, same conditions. Last weekend, I had my wife and three kids and 3/4 tank of gas and saw 54 on Speedo
Cool thanks for the information. I’m curious about your results. My boat is a lot different than yours and I’ve seen altitude/ temp/ humidity =density altitude, (here’s a handy density altitude calculator if you have not seen it in one of my other posts density altitude calculator) fuel load and cargo and people play a big role in engine performance and speed. I’m especially curious about how density altitude affects your super charged engine.

Great post and stats guys. As an old gearhead, nothing like speeding a bunch of money to get 3 mph...:) That's what we do !

lol. Had this exact conversation this morning with my buddy haha

Back