• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

K&N Oil Filter sprang a leak.....rather a hole.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does anyone have a part number for the Fram or motor craft or K&N they use?

scot71

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's ironically funny that you had this problem. I discovered a leak around the filter on my starboard engine a few weeks ago. It's not gushing so I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, but I already have a new filter ready to throw on. I usually use Purolator filters and have never had a problem in the past.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The k&n filter for 1.8l engines is hp 1002, for the 1l engines it’s 303.
I can’t recall what the frame part numbers are.

I’ve never used the nut on the k&n filters to tighten the filter just to remove it. All the shade tree mechanics and mechanics I’ve talked to about this have told me hand tight is fine, the nut on the end of the k&n filters gives me the option of using a box or ratchet wrench over a traditional oil filter wrench which are sometimes a pita to use especially in small spaces like a pwc engine compartment.

I prefer the mobile one filters when I can find them because they are a little larger, they also tend to be more expensive but no where near the Yamaha filter price.

If price is a concern someone posted here once that Mazda offers rebranded Yamaha filters for $3 or $4 each.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is what I have for mine (which are 1.8L, right?): Yamaha 69j-13440-01-00, Fram PH3614, Wix 51348, Mobil M1-102, K&N HP-1001, Motorcraft FL910S

JWExperience

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think someone posted recently that the motorcraft fl-400-s gave a little more capacity being taller. They’re $7.50 or a fleet pack for $60 with 12 filters on eBay. The 910’s are around $5 on eBay.

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since @OperationROL experrience with the KN-303 filter leaking I have read several reviews on these filters. There have been more complaints about the same issue with leaking around the removal nut. One complaint mentioned these filters are now produced in China. Further reading indicated made in Taiwan and Mexico. Looks like the company may have spread out their manufacturing.

I'm thinking about going to a different brand, possibly Mobil 1. Would like to hear from members to see what make & model filter you use in the older MR-1 motors. I have a 2006 SX230 HO.

Agent Ezzard

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Never ever ever use a K&N Oil filter. There are some race tracks that will not allow them on their tracks due to leaks coming from the welded nut. My GTR has one of these filters fail and caused a major headache but luckily I caught it before any internal damage was done.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Never ever ever use a K&N Oil filter. There are some race tracks that will not allow them on their tracks due to leaks coming from the welded nut. My GTR has one of these filters fail and caused a major headache but luckily I caught it before any internal damage was done.
I've used them for 8 seasons now on my twin. That's 16 filters with no issues. Reading some recent reviews and info on manufacturing leads me to believe they are now having QC problems. I hate to move on to something that has been very reliable in the past but I can't ignore what I'm reading.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The guy at Advanced Auto says he gets reports of defective K&N filters all the time and hates them. He says it is always a leak at the bolt weld. I did some research and ended up with the Puralator Boss. I hand tightened them. So far, so good. Time will tell.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For what it is worth, I used K&N filters on my 2008 MR-1 engines for years with no issues. I always hand tightened + a gentle snug (maybe a quarter turn). Used nut to get them off when changing oil every fall. I had zero problems and was very happy with their performance. Note, I sold it in 2017, so if K&N has moved/otherwise changed manufacturing locations since 2016, they may well have much different quality problem levels.

Also worth mentioning, I have been in manufacturing since the mid 90s and have been in plants in the US, Canada, Mexico, UK, France, Germany, Australia, Japan, China and had significant suppliers sending product to my US company for either use in USA assembled products or off-the-shelf direct sale to my customers from India, Thailand, Taiwan, Brazil, Portugal, Spain, and many other countries I don't immediately recall or never knew.

The major point being there are excellent manufacturing plants putting out high quality product in many, many countries these days (even ones with checkered reputations like China - nobody complains about iPhones' build quality, for one example). And, there are many, many examples of high reputation manufacturing countries with individual plants that have much worse than normal output quality. Not going to name names on this, but have seen it from US, Canada, Germany, Japan, etc. So, file it in the FWIW drawer: label country of manufacture is not a reliable indicator of product quality.

And don't even get me started on country of origin labelling practices, laws, etc! /rant 😎🤣

adeptds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't know about these, but K&N had a recall on their KN-204 filters (used on pretty much every Yamaha motorcycle). Same issue. Apparently it was some manufacturing defect.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This is what I have for mine (which are 1.8L, right?): Yamaha 69j-13440-01-00, Fram PH3614, Wix 51348, Mobil M1-102, K&N HP-1001, Motorcraft FL910S
I was researching an oil change kit for one of our members here this morning and used @tdonoughue info above when I called Amsoil to find the correct filter and this post from another thread.

7827744D-287B-4B59-8EB5-BD4CC2A70F0D.jpeg

The EA15K51 is the correct Amsoil filter for the 1.8L engines, and I cross referenced the Fram, Motorcraft, and WIX filter numbers against each other and those all cross reference with the Amsoil part number. However, the Amsoil tech was able to cross reference the oem Yamaha filter to WIX and the WIX equivalent is different from the WIX part number listed in @tdonoughue post as it has a corrosion resistant coating and is 1 CM shorter than the OEM filter. I apologize that I did not write down the direct WIX cross reference with the OEM Yamaha filter.

Shout out to @bucks448 @tdonoughue and @Ronnie for these posts that helped me to find what I was looking for.

That being said I got an Amsoil oil change kit on its way to one of our members for his single 1.8L engine boat.