• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Let's talk WETSOUNDS

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Personally I'd do the cabin and subs first.... then worry about the tower. Maybe a syn dx6 with 4 channels doing the in boats and channels 5/6 bridged to a sub?

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Personally I'd do the cabin and subs first.... then worry about the tower. Maybe a syn dx6 with 4 channels doing the in boats and channels 5/6 bridged to a sub?
I like your style. It'll all be done at the same time honestly. I just need to know whether I'm going 10 or 12 for the sub, and where. I'm thinking under passenger dash compartment so it's out the way, and I don't need to cut into boat. Build a ported enclosure and stuff it in there. Should be enough to get started with.

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You'll get lots of different opinions about what combos to run on the tower (and everywhere else). I mated some Rev 8's to an existing Stealth Core 10 sound bar, with plenty of amplification to each. IMG_20190719_152143.jpg

That combination PROJECTS. The sound bar does a great job punching through the mids and highs. It neither overpowers the Rev 8's, nor is it overpowered by them.

Now, if my boat didn't already have the sound bar from the factory, would I have still added it? Probably so, but perhaps as much for how it sits on the tower (completely out of the way of everyone and everything) as how it sounds. The Rev 8's are placed right above the seats, and it's virtually impossible for someone to hit their head on them. The sound bar, of course, is right in the middle, and at virtually the same level as the tower. So no one hits that either. If I had put a 410 (or another pair of Rev 8's) there, or even mounted it on the forward tube of the tower, I'm not sure it wouldn't get in the way on regular basis.

Jeff

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You'll get lots of different opinions about what combos to run on the tower (and everywhere else). I mated some Rev 8's to an existing Stealth Core 10 sound bar, with plenty of amplification to each. View attachment 103933

That combination PROJECTS. The sound bar does a great job punching through the mids and highs. It neither overpowers the Rev 8's, nor is it overpowered by them.

Now, if my boat didn't already have the sound bar from the factory, would I have still added it? Probably so, but perhaps as much for how it sits on the tower (completely out of the way of everyone and everything) as how it sounds. The Rev 8's are placed right above the seats, and it's virtually impossible for someone to hit their head on them. The sound bar, of course, is right in the middle, and at virtually the same level as the tower. So no one hits that either. If I had put a 410 (or another pair of Rev 8's) there, or even mounted it on the forward tube of the tower, I'm not sure it wouldn't get in the way on regular basis.

Jeff
That's my biggest worry with the 410 in the center is hitting our heads. Exactly why I thought about the bar because it looks great on the X series boats.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Head room was a huge consideration when I did mine. That's why I went with swivel clamps and mounted mine off to the sides. First and foremost....these are family boats for a lot of us and having to worry about things like people bumping their heads is not practical. Properly power a set of REV 10's.....then decide if you still think you need the bar. Trust me...you wont.FB_IMG_1563154137511.jpg

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Head room was a huge consideration when I did mine. That's why I went with swivel clamps and mounted mine off to the sides. First and foremost....these are family boats for a lot of us and having to worry about things like people bumping their heads is not practical. Properly power a set of REV 10's.....then decide if you still think you need the bar. Trust me...you wont.View attachment 103937
Absolutely same with us. Our kids are older, but that just means taller as well. That look is gorgeous with 4. Ugghhh I might be spending more. Sorry wifey

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
#1 setup
-Factory cabin speakers ran 4ohm to 4 channels of htx6 (about 100 watts each)
You'll need to confirm the model of WetSounds speakers in the new 195s boat before you pump too much into them. WS makes 5" coaxial speakers rated 50w, 6.5" rated 60 to 100w. Although it's better to have more amp than speaker (like 65w amp driving 50w speakers so they don't clip causing distortion), it is possible to overdrive lower powered speakers and have the voice coils bottom out causing permanent damage to the coils and diaphragm.

A good amp rated 50w RMS will actually deliver a solid 50w at all freqs to drive good bass response, whereas a cheap amp rated 50w is usually maxed out at 1kHz with noticeable distortion and you're really only getting 5-10w of clean power - you generally get what you pay for in amplifiers. Having said that, WS amps are good and as long as you don't overdrive the speakers, 100w of clean sound generally won't hurt 50w or 60w speakers, especially if you use a subwoofer and filter out the deep bass from the 5 or 6.5" speakers. Just be cautious if the speakers are lower rated models.
:winkingthumbsup"

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Compatico is spot on. I'm getting ready to pick up my new 2019 242 LSE in the coming weeks and it comes with the Wetsounds system. I spoke to Wet Sounds directly yesterday regarding this very question. Yamaha does in fact use the less expensive RECON series in their OEM packages. 60w rms/100w max. In my case, the IB subwoofer is in fact a REVO sub.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You'll need to confirm the model of WetSounds speakers in the new 195s boat before you pump too much into them. WS makes 5" coaxial speakers rated 50w, 6.5" rated 60 to 100w. Although it's better to have more amp than speaker (like 65w amp driving 50w speakers so they don't clip causing distortion), it is possible to overdrive lower powered speakers and have the voice coils bottom out causing permanent damage to the coils and diaphragm.

A good amp rated 50w RMS will actually deliver a solid 50w at all freqs to drive good bass response, whereas a cheap amp rated 50w is usually maxed out at 1kHz with noticeable distortion and you're really only getting 5-10w of clean power - you generally get what you pay for in amplifiers. Having said that, WS amps are good and as long as you don't overdrive the speakers, 100w of clean sound generally won't hurt 50w or 60w speakers, especially if you use a subwoofer and filter out the deep bass from the 5 or 6.5" speakers. Just be cautious if the speakers are lower rated models.
:winkingthumbsup"
This is one of the unknowns with the new boat. Yamaha is very shady with the details. Gotta wait and see there. You right though as I said before.... You can always turn the power down if you got too much, but you can't turn it up if you don't have enough

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Compatico is spot on. I'm getting ready to pick up my new 2019 242 LSE in the coming weeks and it comes with the Wetsounds system. I spoke to Wet Sounds directly yesterday regarding this very question. Yamaha does in fact use the less expensive RECON series in their OEM packages. 60w rms/100w max. In my case, the IB subwoofer is in fact a REVO sub.

Those 242 lse come with amps and all. Lucky dog. Us 19' baby boat guys don't get that. I'm getting the feeling my sound system list is going to grow

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Everyone talks about head clearance but I have yet or anyone yet to catch one of these.

View attachment 103955
How tall are you and your passengers? What's the distance from bottom of center speaker to the floor? The ones on the side are fine but the center speaker could cause a headache.

Meetball

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am 6'3,103959 the way the back walk through is its right in face so you have to duck. when on deck I have head clearance.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Propless

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Head room was a huge consideration when I did mine. That's why I went with swivel clamps and mounted mine off to the sides. First and foremost....these are family boats for a lot of us and having to worry about things like people bumping their heads is not practical. Properly power a set of REV 10's.....then decide if you still think you need the bar. Trust me...you wont.View attachment 103937
Do you have photos of your 420BT and amp locations?

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Tango6455

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That was a great read. Thanks for that link
??? SO IF I JUST ADD TWO REVO 8S TO MY TOWER ON MY 2018 212X DO I NEED TO ADD A SECOND AMP TO RUN THEM OR WILL THE STOCK WET SOUND AMP IN MY BOAT BE FINE?

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
??? SO IF I JUST ADD TWO REVO 8S TO MY TOWER ON MY 2018 212X DO I NEED TO ADD A SECOND AMP TO RUN THEM OR WILL THE STOCK WET SOUND AMP IN MY BOAT BE FINE?
I'm not familiar with the stock wetsounds amp yamaha uses, but from reading threads in this forum I'd say you'll need a new amp. Seems that even though yamaha uses wetsounds equipment in their "top of the line" boats. They are the bottom end of the Wetsounds line. Example: instead of Revo 6.5s yamaha uses Recon 5s. Which can't handle power, and are the low grade. So I'm assuming they do the same with the amplifier.

With our boat (still awaiting delivery of our 2020 195s) yamaha claims wetsounds speakers. Turns out I think they are going to be Recon 5s. So not really a seller for me. I'll be switching them to Revo 6.5s almost sure. I plan to run :

4- Revo 6.5s in stock locations
1-Htx6 amp to power them
2-Rev 10 Tower speakers
1-Syn6 amp to power them
This will leave me 2 open channels on both apps if I future add more speakers.
Subwoofer as well will be added with amp, but currently researching that. I think it's gonna be XXX 12" ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ

From what I've read in this forum you'll want 300+ watts to each rev10. Now the rev8 are a little less powered, but not too too much. So I'd say add a syn4 amp to push your rev8 tower speakers. That'll be plenty.