• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Locking Ski Locker Latch

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am looking for a way to lock things in the boat. Especially when we have to dock a ways from the restaurant or boardwalk and are a decent distance from the boat. I was thinking about adding Latch lock to the ski locker. I know anything can be pried up but making it a bit harder is preferable.

I was looking at this this morning.

Deluxe Stainless Steel Locking Flush Latch (boatoutfitters.com)

Under the seats wouldn't work. The Port and Starboard Storage wouldn't be Ideal either since you just need to lift up one of the front seats. Maybe put one on the anchor locker, but then space would be limited. Would be nice to throw a purse in there. The Chartplotter, VHF Radio, my rod cases and tackle boxes.

Any ideas or has anyone done this or something similiar?

@zipper I like it. Wondering if I can make a slam latch work for the ski locker rather than a twist latch. Not sure.

I have not done this yet but it’s definitely on the list…. My storage pods have plastic lift / lock latches, the 5 gallon bucket locker in the deck has a turn and lift latch, and thought having locking ones would be great to “deter” theft.

As a fyi, at least on my boat GemLux makes all the latches and hinges.

I have not done this yet but it’s definitely on the list…. My storage pods have plastic lift / lock latches, the 5 gallon bucket locker in the deck has a turn and lift latch, and thought having locking ones would be great to “deter” theft.

As a fyi, at least on my boat GemLux makes all the latches and hinges.

Unfortunately the only two places that would work on my boat are the Anchor locker and the Ski Locker.

Also I would like a real key, not one of those fake skeleton keys some of the latches have.

I replaced my oem latches on the ski locker, clean out port hatch and anchor locker with locking latches years ago for about $30 each. I also added a cam lock to the helm and head compartment doors for under $10 each.

the problem with the locking latches is that unless you can find tighten them down a lot with the large plastic nut that holds them in place the whole mechanism spins such that the cam moves away from the liip Just as it does when the latch is unlocked and rotated to open. I will get into the boat and take a few pics for you soon.

So far the head compartment has been best place for us to stow valuables, even though that lock rotates the most easily. Under the helm compartment osnt bad either as it would take some time and effort to get to it though the now seat. I think the clean out compartment is the worst because it’s shallow and more prone to water intrusion but I put locks on it to protect the clean out plugs ($400 each and without them I will have a really expensive raft). The anchor locker is a good spot for small things as long as it’s plugged and dry but i only keep fenders and dock lines in it so rarely lock it.

Alternatively, I recall someone here or the other site installing a lock box / gun safe in one of the compartments. All that stated, we usually lock the head, helm and ski locker but take our smaller valuables with us when we leave the boat. I don’t like carrying the fish finder everywhere but would dislike having it stolen even more. For extra protection o buy angler coverage from boat u.s., basically $5k more in coverage for personal items, my standard policy only covers $1,500 (I lost more than that in vests and tubes when my wife of was stolen over a decade ago).

@Ronnie Thanks for the info. I have 10k in personal item insurance on the boat which covers rods, chartplotter, trolling motor, etc. My main concern is that here in Michigan, and with the kids busy schedule, we only have so many days on the water. It would suck for the day, or weekend trip or week road trip with the boat if someone stole things that I need for us to use. I know it can't be perfect. I will be able to replace the items but not the lost time.

We lock up purses but usually take cash and credit when we leave the boat. What else is stored in the Admirals and Girls purses I am not privy to :) as well as why a purse is needed on a boat is one of lifes mysteries for me.

My tackle boxes, rod cases, backpacks with shoes, goggles, glasses, knives, registration, etc. etc would be nice to put a bit more security on, to limit someone casual jumping in the boat and helping themselves as sometimes people/kids may do. While not foolproof it makes it a bit more inconvenient and I may be a bit less worried.

I thought about installing a lockbox, locking glove box etc. But they could hold a wallet and a small purse. I was hoping that I could do the ski locker so I can drop my fishing gear in it as well.

I agree the anchor locker isn't ideal, i do keep wet lines and fenders in there as well. My Port and Starboard storage compartments aren't closed off on my model, but it would of been nice if they were.

Do you have a link for what you used for the ski locker and clean out ports? I really like your clean out port lock, and now I feel the need to do the same for the exact same reason.

Unfortunately the only two places that would work on my boat are the Anchor locker and the Ski Locker.

@Ronnies idea of putting a cam lock type of latch on my other compartments, battery / aft starboard / under bow seats to either augment or replace the big rubber band type of latch’s that are there now would also be great. I get your issue of the under seat storage..anyway you could make a base or something to at least make a show of them being locked?

Edit; Ive seen those cam latches on compartments for some higher end CC’s as well.

Opinion; I think it’s so sad we have to worry about this today…when I was younger this just wasn’t an issue.

I replaced my oem latches on the ski locker, clean out port hatch and anchor locker with locking latches years ago for about $30 each. I also added a cam lock to the helm and head compartment doors for under $10 each.

the problem with the locking latches is that unless you can find tighten them down a lot with the large plastic nut that holds them in place the whole mechanism spins such that the cam moves away from the liip Just as it does when the latch is unlocked and rotated to open. I will get into the boat and take a few pics for you soon...

A little dab of well placed 3m 5200 will cure the spinning. 4000uv would work.

Here are the pics i mentioned. Probably not an issue if you can use the pop locks that you had a link to instead. I tried but quickly found that I could not use those types of locks without drilling and filling each hatch.

p.S. also included are pics of some of what is available online. the big latches also come in white , if you go this route you will likely have to move the cam/bar from your oem Unit to the replacement which usually comes with the wrong sized or shaped bar. Don’t forget to measure the diameter before you order, they come in different sizes. The cam locks you can buy at Home Depot. I’ve thought about adding one or two more to the head compartment door (top and /or bottom) but just have gotten around to it. Bit that is the largest, driest and imho best compartment to secure. I often lock
The ski locker because it holds the tubes and sometimes my box anchor. I only put locks on the clean out hatch after reading another post where a member on a boating based vacation with his family had his clean out plugs stolen. Luckily for him a local member lent him clean out plugs so he could continue his vacation (dealers don’t usually have any in stock). Finally, after having my rig stolen I’m admittedly paranoid now and ever
Since so I bought all the locks I could. My wife just got air tags for our Waverunners, I will be activating and installing those soon.

Attachments

• 58186171-39E4-4C8D-A707-EC43132B2731.jpeg
    58186171-39E4-4C8D-A707-EC43132B2731.jpeg
    576.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 275EC622-8126-4E00-96DF-6947AC9A961A.jpeg
    275EC622-8126-4E00-96DF-6947AC9A961A.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 12
  • AD6AC2F9-7C92-49DE-B853-D9ACF49B0445.jpeg
    AD6AC2F9-7C92-49DE-B853-D9ACF49B0445.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 11
  • FEBB43E8-C2B5-462B-910A-EE97CD47E65B.jpeg
    FEBB43E8-C2B5-462B-910A-EE97CD47E65B.jpeg
    322.6 KB · Views: 10
  • AE369B1F-AA5B-45D7-954F-D46CB05A8044.jpeg
    AE369B1F-AA5B-45D7-954F-D46CB05A8044.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 10
  • D654B8F2-5731-4C00-A23A-FD04B901C1CD.jpeg
    D654B8F2-5731-4C00-A23A-FD04B901C1CD.jpeg
    473 KB · Views: 13
  • C542C1D8-738C-4C41-B159-02C1C18F3C7B.jpeg
    C542C1D8-738C-4C41-B159-02C1C18F3C7B.jpeg
    483.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 741B4610-06FA-48E4-ABB9-EA4E17A34A9B.png
    741B4610-06FA-48E4-ABB9-EA4E17A34A9B.png
    355.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 0918CFB8-ED22-49AD-8B6B-C3367CE071C9.png
    0918CFB8-ED22-49AD-8B6B-C3367CE071C9.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • E0933DC3-1535-4E1E-82FC-23F95778C06E.png
    E0933DC3-1535-4E1E-82FC-23F95778C06E.png
    835 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thanks Ronnie!

Each latch comes with two keys and sometimes it’s the same key for different locks. The white cap brands that I bought have held up great, I had another brand on the swim deck before that corroded and failed after just a few years of use. I replaced them with white caps a few years ago now.

Last edited:
@zipper I like it. Wondering if I can make a slam latch work for the ski locker rather than a twist latch. Not sure.
A slam lock won’t work at least not on the 240s ski locker because the cam/bar slides under the lip of the deck not under a metal lip like the slam locks do. That is the tongue on the slam lock is too short to bridge the gap. To use a slam lock you would have to reposition the lock/latch on the hatch it’s mounted to. You would also have to do some cutting to modify the lip that the slam lock tongue goes under.

Timely post.

We determined on the last outing that we have to child proof our boat from our 2yo and I told my wife I’d track down some locks for the hatches.

That stainless slam latch in the first post with the lock in the lever itself would be spectacular if they made a cam version. That lever being flipped up on the ski locker is going to break my toes one of these times.

Timely post.

We determined on the last outing that we have to child proof our boat from our 2yo and I told my wife I’d track down some locks for the hatches.

That stainless slam latch in the first post with the lock in the lever itself would be spectacular if they made a cam version. That lever being flipped up on the ski locker is going to break my toes one of these times.
Little pricey but this might serve my need. Not sure about @HangOutdoors

I tried locking latches on my old boat. The salt ate them up. The lock didn’t work after the first season.

In the off-season I upgraded to SS Compression Latches from GemLux. The plastic/chrome looking OEM ones do not hold up well in a salt environment.

Here is a link to a locking model they have. They have two versions, a straight cam and an offset. You’d have to take some measurements to determine what will best work in your application, or I believe you can buy different cams ala carte

Cam Latch, straight
Can Latch - Offset

I previously had a locking cam on the ski locker like you are thinking, but never used it. If I find the need, I might spring for one of these. Also what I like about the compression latches is you don’t have to twist the latch like the OEM ones, the cam pivots 90 degrees when you lift/close the handle.

Back