• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

LOOK OUT YAMAHA, HERE COMES SCARAB

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Check it out. Scarab trying to put a dent in Yamaha's market share. Have to admit, it's pretty bad ass.

They have been trying for years but doubt they will ever make yamaha worry.
I never liked the pointy narrow bow on the scarab. Looks odd to me

Last edited:
Aside from the electronics it looks very much the same as past scarabs. I don't see them taking any market share from Yamaha. Now if scarab built a boat with electronic surf tabs/gates/whatever thing I've never thought of, AND 3k+ lbs of ballast stock I might consider one. However, for 100k+ I'd go for a real surf boat.

They have some nice features on there. I was checking this out on their website and they have a lot of cool features built into the boat.
But until they find a way to incorporate above water clean out plugs I would never consider it.

Am I the only one that doesnt' want touchscreen controls for everything? Am I a luddite in that regard? I feel like some "non-screen" buttons are important to have to operate mission critical devices like bilge pumps, and lights. Sure the stereo and the LED's are no big deal, but it feels like some of that stuff should be on physical switches. Dunno. Maybe it's just me.

Am I the only one that doesnt' want touchscreen controls for everything? Am I a luddite in that regard? I feel like some "non-screen" buttons are important to have to operate mission critical devices like bilge pumps, and lights. Sure the stereo and the LED's are no big deal, but it feels like some of that stuff should be on physical switches. Dunno. Maybe it's just me.
Nope I'm the same way. When I was shopping for a new boat I was looking for minimal touchscreen controls. My MasterCraft doesn't have a touchscreen it has hard buttons around the screen and every important control has a hard switch and if my screen would fail I could still run the boat. If my ballast pumps were controlled by a touchscreen I'd be wiring in override switches.

I completely agree with you. Touchscreen controls are always laggy and become obsolete tech wise in 4-5 years time.

It looks like a nice boat but it's just not my style.

Best way I can describe it is I'd never buy a Chevy truck. The styling just doesn't do it for me. I'm sure Chevy makes a good truck that's equal to the quality as all the other major brands but the appearance and design look 'gaudy' to me. The whole truck is just too 'edgy'.

I get the same 'gaudy' and 'edgy' feeling when I look at the scarab. Probably a good boat but I'd never be able to buy one.

Have a problem with your boat, all you need to do is hit Ctrl-Alt-Del. (Sorry old tech guy bad joke)

I also agree. There are some things that are easier when they are not on a touchscreen. My other big concern is what do you do 5,6.7+ years done the road if the touchscreen fails?

Personally, I like the cockpit layout better, the single level rear platform, and the maneuverability of the Scarab boats. On the other hand, Yamaha seems to have a more bulletproof engine, have producted a lot more boats, and are much easier to buy and sell.

One thing I could never figure out by looking on-line, is if the smaller Scarab boats have cockpits that drain overboard or into the bilge?

Jim

It’s a nice looking boat with some great features! Dual pull out carry on ice chests, a freaking windlass!, electric head, sink in the head compartment, and if you go to the web site it appears there is a hard switch panel for those important functions.

The fresh water flush on the engines is only for the exhaust, the engines are freshwater / antifreeze cooled.

Avery nice boat for sure…. But without top side jet pump clean outs I’m not interested.

Looks like the same Actia glass that is in the 2018+ Yamahas too.

I agree. If I had to do it all over again, I would of bought the S model, not the SE.

My other big concern is what do you do 5,6.7+ years done the road if the touchscreen fails?
You replace it. If you look at older wake/tow boats that have all their stuff using touchscreen you often seen "screen has been replaced since XXXX". Fairly common on older Malibu's and Nautique G* boats that had touchscreens for everything already.

You replace it. If you look at older wake/tow boats that have all their stuff using touchscreen you often seen "screen has been replaced since XXXX". Fairly common on older Malibu's and Nautique G* boats that had touchscreens for everything already.

The reason for my comment was that I have seen posts, for some makes, where the touchscreen replacements have been both very costly and difficult to get.

Jim

The reason for my comment was that I have seen posts, for some makes, where the touchscreen replacements have been both very costly and difficult to get.

Jim
Yup. Trick of the trade is there seems to be an average when these screens go for each manufacturer. Before you reach X date you go ahead and preemptively order a new display. That way in 3-6 months when it arrives you'll be ready when it does go. Or when you sell your boat you can sell it with the still functioning screen and now a NIB screen. Yes they are expensive, but when you spend 150k-300k what's a $3k display?

It's a moot point if I like the touchscreen, as there is no way I would spend this type on money on a day boat, but here is an old-timey dash that I do like (from a 2018 Chaparral with a single Yamaha outboard). Garmin in the middle with Yamaha gauges on both sides. Simple rocker switches for almost everything else. Simple to use, simple to repair when the time comes. LOL, I'm an old guy who likes simple things when it comes to boating.

1639595783486.png

Jim

Back