• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lost anchor....Recommended replacement anchor type and weight for 195S?

YamaHog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well I had a great outing last weekend on the lake, but came back with no anchor! :( It was a larger size Yamaha anchor that didn't fit in the anchor locker of my 2020 195S. The most frustrating thing is that the previous weekend it got hung up on a tree in about 70 ft of water and I was able to retrieve it by hauling the tree back to the boat. However, this time it got hung on a stationary tree in about 23 ft of water and wasn't coming loose so I had to cut the rope. The lakes I'm in don't have a ton of trees, but there is some flooded timber and I just got unlucky I guess. I'm looking for suggestions on a good replacement anchor that will fit in the anchor locker of my 195S and is less likely to get stuck/lost. I'm thinking maybe a mushroom or navy anchor this time around, but not sure what weight to get. My primary lakes are rocky bottom type lakes (Greers Ferry, Ouachita, & Maumelle in Arkansas). Also any tips on preventing losing anchors? I didn't lose much of my anchor line, but I'll have to buy a new anchor and chain which is frustrating, but it is what it is. Thanks for any suggestions.

Well I had a great outing last weekend on the lake, but came back with no anchor! :( It was a larger size Yamaha anchor that didn't fit in the anchor locker of my 2020 195S. The most frustrating thing is that the previous weekend it got hung up on a tree in about 70 ft of water and I was able to retrieve it by hauling the tree back to the boat. However, this time it got hung on a stationary tree in about 23 ft of water and wasn't coming loose so I had to cut the rope. The lakes I'm in don't have a ton of trees, but there is some flooded timber and I just got unlucky I guess. I'm looking for suggestions on a good replacement anchor that will fit in the anchor locker of my 195S and is less likely to get stuck/lost. I'm thinking maybe a mushroom or navy anchor this time around, but not sure what weight to get. My primary lakes are rocky bottom type lakes (Greers Ferry, Ouachita, & Maumelle in Arkansas). Also any tips on preventing losing anchors? I didn't lose much of my anchor line, but I'll have to buy a new anchor and chain which is frustrating, but it is what it is. Thanks for any suggestions.
Use this trick next time
Rig an Anchor Release | Salt Water Sportsman

I just bought a box anchor. They come in different sizes. Not sure which you would need. Probably the 13 lb. I bought the 19 lb. for my 242. Here’s a video on how they work. It’s awesome. No need for a chain either. They fold up. Mine fits in the anchor locker just fine. I can’t help you on how to prevent losing anchors. I’ve lost so many myself. The first one I threw in without it being attached to a line. Ugh! The last three I had to cut. Anyway, I really like the concept of this box anchor. Check out the video.

I have the box anchor, both 13lb and 19lb one. 13 is much easier to manage and works for most situations. However, it will not hold in windy/choppy conditions. The 19lb has no problems but only use it when needed because it's a choir to manage. 19lbs doesn't sound heavy but when its 30ft down and has a bunch of mud on it, its heavy.

There is also this style of anchor..a danforth / fluke with a slip ring. The slip ring works like a standard fluke that is set up with a ty wrap break away like @fatboyroy posted about.

I have a 5# one that I used initially but the cross bar was too short to fit into the anchor holder so I bought a 9# one and cut the cross bar down a 1/2” on each end so it would fit.

The 5# one seemed to hold fine but never tested in a stronger wind. The 9# got a good test in very windy conditions at Lake Powell. I keep the 5# one for the stern anchor.

Last edited:
I have been using the Mantus and it holds my 21' in solid in a heavy chop as well.

Mantus Products (mantusmarine.com)

What types of bottoms are you anchoring in? Any issues with stuck anchor?

I like their anchor roller set up ! I’ve been pondering an anchor roller set up on my boat as well as changing the way the hatch opens…. I wanted to add a quick cleat to the roller base to make anchoring by myself easier, I could set the anchor up for deployment and catch the rode in the quick cleat, motor up to where I want to drop the anchor and then deploy it from the helm, while slowly backing up, once deployed catch the rode off at the mid ship cleat and back down to set it.

Sand, Mud, Marl, Rocky bottom on shoreline. No issues as of yet with stuck anchor.

I have the box anchor, both 13lb and 19lb one. 13 is much easier to manage and works for most situations. However, it will not hold in windy/choppy conditions. The 19lb has no problems but only use it when needed because it's a choir to manage. 19lbs doesn't sound heavy but when its 30ft down and has a bunch of mud on it, its heavy.
We also have both the 13 and 19lb box anchors. Unfortunately, the 19 doesn't fit in the locker as I was led to believe in a post I read. Friday we were out, and it got windy as a storm approached, gusts over twenty. The 13 lb didn't hold, had to jump out of the boat and push it out, climb back on and start it immediately so the that we didn't get beached.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions! I ordered a 19 lb box anchor as the water can get pretty rough sometimes with wind and boat wakes on my lake. The anchor I lost was the fluke style from the Yamaha Deluxe Anchor Kit. Here's a link, but I have no idea what weight it was off-hand. I know it was two wide to fit in the anchor locker, and at this point I think I'm giving up on actually putting my anchor in the anchor locker on this boat, because none of any significant weight seem to fit in there.

I switched from the fluke that came with the boat to a 13# box anchor. Was a dramatic improvement. With 19# you will be golden.

Another person with the box anchor....19 pound version on fast river and it holds no issues what-so-ever. I leave it set up and it fits in my anchor locker (210 FSH).

I think you’ll like it. I anchor on the river. Had to cut three because they would get caught on cables and ropes. Thinking (hoping) this thing won’t bury itself under those things.

Can anybody recommend a good anchor line? I'm looking at 150 feet of 3/8, but trying to decide between 3-strand twisted nylon and double-braided ropes. There's lots of options out there so I figured I'd ask what others have tried/like. My original anchor line is whatever came with Yamaha's deluxe anchor kit, but I had to cut that line. Only lost about 20 ft. off it, but want to go with a new line for this new anchor.

Can anybody recommend a good anchor line? I'm looking at 150 feet of 3/8, but trying to decide between 3-strand twisted nylon and double-braided ropes. There's lots of options out there so I figured I'd ask what others have tried/like. My original anchor line is whatever came with Yamaha's deluxe anchor kit, but I had to cut that line. Only lost about 20 ft. off it, but want to go with a new line for this new anchor.
We bought this one.
Amazon.com: Extreme Max 3006.2057 BoatTector Solid Braid MFP Anchor Line with Thimble - 3/8" x 100', Black : Everything Else

that has a lower break strength than double braided or twisted nylon by far for its diameter.

Also, you shouldn't use MFP for an anchor rope since it floats. Or any other floating type rope. If your anchor gets hung up and you have the cut the line it will remain floating under the water and it becomes a danger to other boats, swimmers and divers, people have become wrap up in rope on the water that floats. You want a rope that sinks for your anchor line. I made the mistake of buying my first anchor line of MFP and was educated on the dangers it could pose. I still have it in the boat cabinet.

that has a lower break strength than double braided or twisted nylon by far.

Also, you shouldn't use MFP for an anchor rope since it floats. If your anchor gets hung up and you have the cut the line it will remain floating under the water and it becomes a danger to other boats, swimmers and divers. You want a rope that sinks for your anchor line. I made the mistake of buying my first anchor line of MFP and was educated on the dangers it could pose. I still have it in the boat cabinet.
Thanks for the reply. Like you our first anchor rope. Will replace ASAP.

The one I linked above is pretty solid and from reputable MFG/Brand. It is also around 4000lb breaking strength for a 3/8" diameter.

Back