• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mapping your trailered trip

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
What resources are out there to map a trip that is the most level when trailering my boat? We live in Ohio and when we want to travel to NC, TN or further south, WV is a kick in the transmission and brakes. I am open to adding a few hours out of the way just to stay on more level ground. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You got me thinking, I found
Flattestroute.com

gives you some options and observations about changes in grade.

I know Google Maps can do as well, but I could only see the elevation changes for walking or cycling. I forgot how to get the info there for driving.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
You’re hurting my feelings a bit…
I see it as three options:
Buy a 3/4 ton diesel (what I did)
Use I95
Use I75
And I guess the fourth option is move out of Ohio?

OK, I’ll quit being snarky. I never really thought about it but things to consider when making the choice are how far out of the way it is to go around the mountains and is that more wear and tear on the towing rig than just easing up the hills below the speed limit. I agree with above that some of the cycling apps and sites may give you some insight. Here is another article that may help.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What resources are out there to map a trip that is the most level when trailering my boat? We live in Ohio and when we want to travel to NC, TN or further south, WV is a kick in the transmission and brakes. I am open to adding a few hours out of the way just to stay on more level ground. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
What tow vehicle, and what boat? Might be a non issue with the hills; depending on setup.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
What tow vehicle, and what boat? Might be a non issue with the hills; depending on setup.
The tow vehicle makes all the difference in the world. When I bought my 275SD last year, the only dealer that had one left was in NY and I had to tow it from there to Florida. My '21 GMC Sierra AT4 1500 w/ 6-Cyl Duramax had not issues pulling the the baby mountains of WV and Virginia. My AT4 is rated at 9200lbs towing capacity and I was towing about 8400lbs.

To the OP...... I have used TruckRouter for several years as compliment travel planning tool when I'm planning trips in my Super C Motorhome towing a Jeep Wrangler.

I primarily use Google Maps and Waze but I use this to make sure I don't run into any low bridges or roads with under 10 ton weight restrictions. It will also provide an Elevation report. I haven't used that feature but you will see it in the report example below. I have already gone through the Rockies in my rig so I don't worry too much about elevation.

1702550219372.png

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The tow vehicle makes all the difference in the world. When I bought my 275SD last year, the only dealer that had one left was in NY and I had to tow it from there to Florida. My '21 GMC Sierra AT4 1500 w/ 6-Cyl Duramax had not issues pulling the the baby mountains of WV and Virginia. My AT4 is rated at 9200lbs towing capacity and I was towing about 8400lbs.

To the OP...... I have used TruckRouter for several years as compliment travel planning tool when I'm planning trips in my Super C Motorhome towing a Jeep Wrangler.

I primarily use Google Maps and Waze but I use this to make sure I don't run into any low bridges or roads with under 10 ton weight restrictions. It will also provide an Elevation report. I haven't used that feature but you will see it in the report example below. I have already gone through the Rockies in my rig so I don't worry too much about elevation.

View attachment 212619
that looks like a great routing tool!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length

Ram 1500 Laramie Sport. Standard two package. Yamaha 222s. Full weight of boat, trailer and gear is around 5,550 lbs. WV Rt 77 S is brutal. 4-5 grades of 4-6 degrees for over a mile each, lots and lots of turns and 4 tolls. Not fun to drive even when not towing.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length

Ram 1500 Laramie Sport. Standard two package. Yamaha 222s. Full weight of boat, trailer and gear is around 5,550 lbs. WV Rt 77 S is brutal. 4-5 grades of 4-6 degrees for over a mile each, lots and lots of turns and 4 tolls. Not fun to drive even when not towing.
Yeah, 77 South of Charleston takes you through some mountains all the way south of Galax VA into NC. The WV Turnpike is a joke with the tolls. You could run 70 east to 81 south and then cut across 64 east to 95. That will keep you out of the higher elevations.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I guess its all perspective… I’ve been towing trailers since my 20’s, on grades much steeper and longer with trailers that are much heavier, and was a passenger in a tow vehicle when I was younger for many other journeys and those grades do not sound significant to me. Just make sure your tow vehicle is in good repair as well as the boat trailer and enjoy the drive, those grades and trailer load sound like they are well within the towing envelope of your tow vehicle. The tolls, well, the roads have to get paid for some how, but I’d still try and avoid them.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That flattestroute site is cool.

I looked up our most frequent tow in summer. I might need a diesel!

This burns about a gallon or two short of a full tank in my truck for the round trip. It’s not the funnest drive in a few spots but I wouldn’t go very far out of my way to avoid it, even if it were an option.

IMG_6982.jpeg

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I go out of my way to avoid grades but I have a different set up (F-250 6.2L and a 13,000lbs boat+trailer). Nowadays I would have gotten the 7.3 with 4.30 axles but that wasn’t available in 2012.
When traveling from Kansas City to FL, I took I-65 to I-22 to I-20 instead of I-24 through TN to avoid the ridge at Monteagle - 7 miles of 5-6% downhill. I wasn’t worried about going uphill, just switch to lower gears and keep up with the 30mph semis. It the downhill I didn’t want to do.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Another issue that is more of a concern to me is where to get gas. Towing a 10’6 wide 13’ high and 37’ long trailer, I can’t get into most gas stations.
Google Earth and street view are a life saver finding accessible gas stations while planning the trip