• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mistake Made During Winterization

Sam Singh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey guys just need help I was 5-10 second late to turn off the water after stoping the engine while fogging the engine . Is this going to cause any problem . After this I did the antifreeze with correct process engine then antifreeze - than stop the antifreeze and after couple of high rpm . Before I stop the engine I ran the air hose with 50 psi while engine was running without antifreeze . Also removed the spark plugs fog the chamber . Gave couple of self without putting spark plugs . Any suggestion for that 5-10 second water I ran after stoping the engine . It is Yamaha 2013 242 limited s 1.8 twin engine .

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No problem with 5-10 seconds 30 seconds to a minute would be more questionable. If you ran it after that then no issue at all from hydro lock, that is a symptom of running the water while the engine is off . Most of the water spills out of the water pick up in the jet nozzle when the hose is running and the balance is forced out of the exhaust from the combustion of the engine. When the motor is not on it can back fill the exhaust and make its way into the cylinders from the exhaust valves causing hydro lock, water doesn't compress like air and this damages engine parts. No one has documented the exact time it takes and it varies based on water pressure and flow rate.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After this I did the antifreeze with correct process engine then antifreeze - than stop the antifreeze and after couple of high rpm . Before I stop the engine I ran the air hose with 50 psi while engine was running without antifreeze .
Why does this process remind me of gargling with mouthwash? You blew out anything you put in? Like spitting in the sink? Was there a purpose, if all you did was blow it out? I bet it's minty fresh though (smile)

Sam Singh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks, Cambo, for the inside and explanation.

Sam Singh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Also, one more question for all if anyone can help what the difference between the following two filters is.
6AP-E4451-00-00 &
6D3-14451-00-00
big price difference but both look same. Someone said they both are same any help will really apricated .

I just bought this 2013 242 limited S with only 100 hours on it - Runs good no problem just want to change Air filters.

Sam Singh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Why does this process remind me of gargling with mouthwash? You blew out anything you put in? Like spitting in the sink? Was there a purpose, if all you did was blow it out? I bet it's minty fresh though (smile)

I used this Antifreeze to winterize the system instead of water last run before storage only couple of gallons on each engine some one told me to do that . I live next to the bay on hill and store my boat covered outside temperature goes in below freezing just peace of mind i totally understand might be wasting and spitting out . First boat and first season learning from you guys. Looks like i lucked out this time no oil contamination ran couple of time after that no problem.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We're glad to have you on board, first boat has a big learning curve,

I don't know the answer to your air filter question, I can understand wanting to change it but is it dirty ?? mine are years old and still look good, take them off and just shake whatever dust may be there off, if they are stained or damage I would certainly consider changing them.

you certainly didn't do any harm with the water hose, if you haven't already the link below is from our member buckbuck, it's a great explanation of how the cooling water works,

for the antifreeze, we've had members in VT, Alberta and WI just blow out the engines for a minute or two and put the boat away, they have done this for years without issue,

If you are going to use antifreeze I would suggest adding a flush/towing valve in the engine compartment,

here is a video I made of flush water lost if you don't use a clamp on the inlet line, all that antifreeze is just going backwards out the inlet, never seeing the engine or exhaust cooling lines,

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome.

I’m in northern NY in the mountains and it can go down to 30 below here. Boat is stored in an unheated barn. I just fog the engines, add fuel stabilizer to the gas and rev the engine for a couple of seconds to blow out any remaining water. Never had a problem.

The other key thing I do is pull the drain plug. Seems obvious but I forgot once. Fortunately I remembered before it got too cold.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
5-10 seconds won’t hurt anything. Out of curiosity, what did you use the air hose for?

Sam Singh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
5-10 seconds won’t hurt anything. Out of curiosity, what did you use the air hose for?
I don't know man just people say after shutting off engine just give 50 psi from compressor will take out more water while you are running engine on land. As i said first boat first season winterization. just learning from you guys. Air Hose and antifreeze might be like biffdotorg said gargling with mouthwash.

Sam Singh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome.

I’m in northern NY in the mountains and it can go down to 30 below here. Boat is stored in an unheated barn. I just fog the engines, add fuel stabilizer to the gas and rev the engine for a couple of seconds to blow out any remaining water. Never had a problem.

The other key thing I do is pull the drain plug. Seems obvious but I forgot once. Fortunately I remembered before it got too cold.
I have the good barn too but tower on the boat is too high first season first boat, I will have to figure out how to remove the tower and put it back when season starts next year but any way good advise.

@JC!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Tsk Tsk, your drain plug should always be out before transporting your boat.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Blowing the engines out w air is totally unnecessary and I’d venture risky as the cooling system probably sees no where near that amount of pressure.

At the last outing of the year after the boat is on the trailer and the engines are still warm, do what the manual says and give each engine 1/2 throttle blips for 10 seconds or less, just get the majority of water out.

As the others have said unless you block the main water line from the jet pump all your Rv antifreeze will go out the back. If you’re going to use Rv antifreeze block the main water inlet, pump the Rv antifreeze in with the motor running then turn it off and leave it.

Since you’re leaving the boat outside fog the engines while running, then pull the plugs and put in whatever amount is recommended on the can, typically a two second spray while angling the tube around. Then reinstall the plugs. You can get extra ping spray tubes off of amazon.

The nose of the boat should be high with all drain and clean out plugs removed. Check out Captain Leon’s winterizing NY style on you tube.

I used to do the antifreeze thing, now all I do is blow out the water locks after taking the boat out, make sure my raw water wash down is empty and I’m good. I’ve done several fishing tournaments where the over night low was in the teens and never had issues doing it that way.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Also, one more question for all if anyone can help what the difference between the following two filters is.
6AP-E4451-00-00 &
6D3-14451-00-00
big price difference but both look same. Someone said they both are same any help will really apricated .

I just bought this 2013 242 limited S with only 100 hours on it - Runs good no problem just want to change Air filters.
Unlike any other powersport vehicle, boats run in a clean environment. It goes against the grain in my body to not replace air filters, but everyone else is right. Unless you have damage to the filter, there is no need to replace. Visual inspection for oil or dirt and blow out is all that is needed.

I guess it makes sense when you think about where they are driven. Unless you are running miles of cat tails (smile)

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I live next to the bay on hill and store my boat covered outside temperature goes in below freezing just peace of mind i totally understand might be wasting and spitting out .
Ya, this is not like any other I/O or inboard motor. As others stated, there is nothing to lubricate in the cooling system, there is no pump, and no place to collect water that could freeze and damage anything.

Sam Singh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks All for your advice and explanation. No air hose, No antifreeze. Going forward Engine Oil, Spark Plugs, run fresh water threw cooling system each engine 1/2 throttle blips for 10 seconds every trip and last run of season on water should be with stabilizer. Let me know if i am missing anything. I like the jeatboters.net and peoples who share their experience and knowledge.

DRock3d

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
don't forget to fog