• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My 2015 Yamaha 242 Limited S

Jackew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Ok - my 10 hours are now pass me. With some guidance from @MikeyL I got the oil change completed! Thanks Mikey.

As my dealership is 5 hours away - I plan on doing my own maintenance work.

Also 10 hours they recommended the the following service:
- Spark Plugs to be changed
Is this really necessary ? Seems odd?
- lubicate bearing housing
Any one can tell me what it takes to do this task?
- re tighten bolts and nuts
What bolts and nuts?

Also got the name on my boat now :winkingthumbsup"image.jpg

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok - my 10 hours are now pass me. With some guidance from @MikeyL I got the oil change completed! Thanks Mikey.
Also got the name on my boat now :winkingthumbsup"
You are MORE than welcome @Jackew !
Happy "sailing" !

Nesport

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Finally got the boat tested and low and behold, an exhaust pipe came off and suffocated the engines. Unfortunately it also melted the plastic connection so now waiting on parts. I believe this is the 2nd one I've heard of doing this, not sure if it's something that isn't getting tightened from the manufacturer, or if it's coming loose. You would think they would catch this during the dealer prep.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also 10 hours they recommended the the following service:
- Spark Plugs to be changed
Is this really necessary ? Seems odd?
- lubicate bearing housing
Any one can tell me what it takes to do this task?
- re tighten bolts and nuts
What bolts and nuts?
I would not say the plugs are 'necessary'. But probably a good practice at 10 hours. If you do it yourself, it is relatively cheap and easy.

Lubing the bearing housing is necessary. Many reports (including mine) of the bearing taking WAY too much lube at 10 or 50 hours. In other words, the shop at dealer prep or at 10 hours didn't put any or nearly any in. I would do it.

Which bolts and nuts? All of them you can find. In fact, I had so many loose that I started taking them all out and putting anti-seize on them. Start with any nut/bolt on any hatch, door or other swinging thing. Move to the engine compartment, then to the tray in the back. Finish with the ones in the helm compartment and the tower (if you have the right size hex driver for it--it is big).

Nesport

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would not say the plugs are 'necessary'. But probably a good practice at 10 hours. If you do it yourself, it is relatively cheap and easy.

Lubing the bearing housing is necessary. Many reports (including mine) of the bearing taking WAY too much lube at 10 or 50 hours. In other words, the shop at dealer prep or at 10 hours didn't put any or nearly any in. I would do it.

Which bolts and nuts? All of them you can find. In fact, I had so many loose that I started taking them all out and putting anti-seize on them. Start with any nut/bolt on any hatch, door or other swinging thing. Move to the engine compartment, then to the tray in the back. Finish with the ones in the helm compartment and the tower (if you have the right size hex driver for it--it is big).
So out of curiosity, why anti seize versus like a locktight? Anti size doesn't prevent them from coming loose again, but does stop them fuzing together. Not sure how locktight reacts around water.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
A good idea here is to GOOGLE Anti-seize compounds.
That will explain to you the usefulness of using such a product.
Spark plugs, properly installed, do not come "loose."
But they do "seize" or get stuck in their mounting locations. Anti-seize compound stops that from occurring, or at least helps to minimize that.

You do NOT want to use Loctite around spark plugs. That is not that product's intended landscape.

Good Luck, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Nesport

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mikeyl, no one said anything about loctite around spark plugs, the msg above says that he used anti seize on all the nuts and bolts, when tightening. I was curious the advantage there. I've always used anti seize on plugs and never had an issue, never heard of it on all the bolts, that's all.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks and I apologize for mis-reading.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use blue Loctite on the various nuts and bolts (on my motorcycles too).

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So out of curiosity, why anti seize versus like a locktight?
Locktight is a gummy stuff that tries to make sure that the nuts/bolts don't come loose. Certainly functional for those nuts and bolts all over, but I generally don't like it as much. Too gummy. If you ever want it off, it is just a bit messy.

Anti-seize keeps things from seizing, but also lubricates the threads. That has the effect of making it so that you put extra force on the threads, because you reduce the rotational friction on the threads. So you also wind up with a threaded connection less prone to loosening. And it cleans up nicer (more like just a light grease).

Thus, my rationale...

bmb5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

bmb5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@bmb5150 hit up @Earmark Marine if you want some. Their a specialty JL product and kinda hard to find.
Thanks Adam. Been looking at 2 others but the JL looks like good quality & fits well. Speaker sox shows one that is similar, but not sure of the quality or fit. I am surprised that not many members are not commenting on them.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thanks Adam. Been looking at 2 others but the JL looks like good quality & fits well. Speaker sox shows one that is similar, but not sure of the quality or fit. I am surprised that not many members are not commenting on them.
I don't see very many people use them, especially with how much tower speakers cost.

Nesport

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does anyone know if the MedRX actually keeps gas from going bad also or do I need to add a separate additive for that? I've always had great success with Star Tron Fuel Treatment (the blue bottle), but the Yamaha manual calls for Engine Med RX speicifically, presuming because they have their had in the pot. Bottle and websites aren't clear on the fuel stabilizer function on it. Anyone else using it?

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Does anyone know if the MedRX actually keeps gas from going bad also or do I need to add a separate additive for that? I've always had great success with Star Tron Fuel Treatment (the blue bottle), but the Yamaha manual calls for Engine Med RX speicifically, presuming because they have their had in the pot. Bottle and websites aren't clear on the fuel stabilizer function on it. Anyone else using it?
I use fuel medrx every fall and have never had a problem.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I use fuel medrx every fall and have never had a problem.
We will never know if you have a problem @Williamsone46 , you trade boats like most change underwear:winkingthumbsup" I use Marine Grade Stabil as well and swear by it. I use it in all of my equipment from lawn mower to chainsaw and weed trimmer and blower. It not only extends the shelf life but it also reduces the condensation build up in the tank, and prevents ethanol phase separation. Disclaimer: I know nothing about medrx...but I operate by the philosophy of don't fix what ain't broke, and Stabil works well for me, but so may medrx and other fuel treatments.