• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Navigation at low speeds

lopjester

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
We had a rough time navigating at low speeds with my Yamaha sx195 when I was going through no wake zones, under bridges, and near the dock is stressful because the boat didn’t react quickly (or really at all) at low speeds, so I made a research in the Internet and I found two solutions, the first one is the Thrust Vectors , and the 2nd one is Nauticus Smart Tabs SX , so does anyone know which one is better for this issue?

the smart tabs are not going to help you. They are to keep your bow down and come into play at speed. TBH if you want that I would recommend true Trim Tabs.

I use Cobra Jet Steering on mine. Its like night and day controlling the boat from no wake up through WOT.

Cobra Jet Steering: Think CJS for the BEST Jet Boat Steering mods and EZ Locks.

I didn't like the Thrust Vectors when I drove a couple of boats with them on compared to the Cobra Jet Steering. My biggest 2 complaints was that the Thrust Vectors are not aluminum and are plastic. Also as soon as you are going 5-10 mph they rise out of the water and provide no enhanced steering.

What are best steering enhancements are some of the hotly debated topics here on the forums. You will get those who like the Thrust Vectors and those who swear by the @Cobra Jet Steering LLC Cobra Steering System.

Thank you so much for your quick answer. I will check the Cobra jet steering option

I just received another email from a very happy customer with a 2023 19 foot that installed the super ultimate ak-19 deluxe steering on it and tried it out for the first time.
And here is a Video by a different customer trying out the same steering for the first time. Here is a video provided by a very happy customer trying out his super ultimate ak-19 deluxe for the first time on his 2022 195s Yamaha jet boat and his... | By Cobra jet steering - Facebook
Hi Jeff
We received the item very quickly and wow! What a difference! The ride was 100x more enjoyable. You have made a great product. Thank you for your time answering all of our questions and quick shipping. Installation was a breeze. "

Attachments

• super ultimate ak-19 deluxe single engine on a 19 foot Yamaha 8 (2).jpg
    super ultimate ak-19 deluxe single engine on a 19 foot Yamaha 8 (2).jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 8
Are you using the TDE position of your throttles, that’s the first detent, and No Wake mode? These are standard equipment on your boat and when used together significantly increase the low speed handling of your boat.

Are you using the TDE position of your throttles, that’s the first detent, and No Wake mode? These are standard equipment on your boat and when used together significantly increase the low speed handling of your boat.
Thanks, I never used it but definitely I will try that too

Thanks, I never used it but definitely I will try that too

You will be quite surprised by how immediate the turning is with the TDE and step three of the no wake mode.

How to increase slow speed control for Dock approaching:
Step 1: Neutral.
Step 2: Set No Wake Mode to level 2 (just under or right on 2,000 RPMs in my AR190)
Step 3: Throttle to Forward 1 detent. Then back to Neutral. Repeat.

When you set No Wake Mode to level 2 and as you go from Forward back to Neutral, in Neutral you will feel it get grippy, almost like a break.

Second tip, read your winds and current before approaching and know your plan. Don't fight the wind, use it to push you where you want to go.

Or sit back and relax and get the boat to do your bidding effortlessly at all speeds oh then you can practice smiling rather that trying to defy physics. and it costs so little. a super ultimate ak-19 deluxe steering system is only $268.99 with free domestic shipping and a 30 day satisfaction money back guarantee yes MONEY not store credit!

How to increase slow speed control for Dock approaching:
Step 1: Neutral.
Step 2: Set No Wake Mode to level 2 (just under or right on 2,000 RPMs in my AR190)
Step 3: Throttle to Forward 1 detent. Then back to Neutral. Repeat.

When you set No Wake Mode to level 2 and as you go from Forward back to Neutral, in Neutral you will feel it get grippy, almost like a break.

Second tip, read your winds and current before approaching and know your plan. Don't fight the wind, use it to push you where you want to go.

100% agreed here. @haknslash did a great write up with videos awhile back on this with his 195. Really explained it well.

@lopjester

I'm on Season 7 of jetboating (season 15 of small craft ownership) and see ZERO reason to have "steering aids". Even my wife agrees that she can pilot just fine without them. Once you learn how the boat handles without them, and understand that it's NOT a car and as such shouldn't react like one, it gets easier. The control premise with a jet powered system is "No thrust, no control". You need those revs to generate the thrust you use for control. THEN, get the premise of changing "gears" early and often. There is no transmission and you can shift as often as you like and use that to control course and speed.

I, personally, "steer the back". That is to say that I will use reverse and thrust to slide the stern of the boat around and control my course and speed that way. Forward will "spin" the boat quickly, however reverse is much more subtle in control and can be used to fine tune the position. With practice you can spin the boat in it's own length, and back into positions sterndrives and Inboards on wish they could.

IMO, you should learn the boat before just slapping some bandaid steering "enhancers" on it. Lots of people love them though, so I can't say they're garbage, I just don't see the use for them.

Also, I had a set of Nauticus Smart Tabs on my '98 Rinker. They work great, and I really think they're a great solution for planing fast, and keeping the boat well planted at speed. They helped my 3.0L 19ft boat plane VERY quickly, made the ride significantly smoother, and stopped the low speed wandering that comes from a short vessel with a stern drive. They're also a quality product made of good materials, and have good support from the manufacturer if there is an issue. I've wanted to try a set on my AR190, but haven't after reading a few threads on the old yamahajetboaters forum where others tried them and didn't get significant gains. If I could try them without drilling holes in my boat I might do it. My 190 planes well, handles the chop fairly well, and general doesn't have the same issues my Rinker had, so it's not been a priority for me to try them........In your case, I don't think they're a good fit just to help with low speed steering concerns. Planing and ride are much larger benefits.

Cheers!

I had a smaller seadoo before my 23ft Yamaha, and the seadoo steering was way easier to control and more powerful. I'm sure the fact the boat was half the weight was a major factor...

When I got my boat I was disappointed at the weak steering, then installed the Cobra system to improve it. Adding the enhancement certainly increased the rudder response and control. The addition was well worth it for me.

Sure, you can learn to eventually make it do what you want with more power/ steering motion, but I would suggest there is nothing wrong with adding the enhancements to make it steer with more gusto.

That said, you also need to use throttle a bit to direct the boat in some cases, use the wind to your advantage as suggested, AND never come at the dock faster than at the speed at which you are willing to hit it, because sometimes you will.

I treat the wind and currents differently, they are the enemy so to speak, and they need to be fought except in those situations where it can’t. If you are fighting the wind and current on an approach, again where possible, if your approach gets messed up it is easy to reduce power and back away from your target whether that be the trailer or the dock. If you allow the wind or current to push you and something goes wrong it is very difficult to get out of that situation and you can get pushed into your target.

The best thing you can do is to go out and practice, practice, practice. It’s fun and you will get to know how to handle your boat in a variety of situations. The wind is a problem for our boats as there is no keel to speak of and the boat can get pushed / slide, again, practicing in these conditions will not only make you better at handling, it will prepare you for those days where you come back to dock and then put your boat on the trailer. I have made approaches to my trailer at 45* and ease the boat onto the bunks and let the nose ride forward.

The other guys have made good suggestions as well here, between that and practicing a lot you will get it down pat!

I have CJ fins and fangs on my boat I really like them. When I’m traveling a distance in no wake zones or puttng around I turn on no wake mode in the first detent on the throttle. Then I move the throttle just out of the detent which opens the buckets all the way which helps me with steering. I also will line my bow light up on a fixed object ahead of me which only takes small movements to keep on track When I need to.

We had a rough time navigating at low speeds with my Yamaha sx195 when I was going through no wake zones, under bridges, and near the dock is stressful
Coming from prop boats to the jetboat I was a bit concerned, but since there is no dog gear to deal with, going from fwd to rev or neutral is fast and easy. After just a few minutes of practice, I can dock better with the jetboat than I could with the prop boats. Note that if you're not experienced, single engine boats will always "wander" when going forward at slow speeds. This is normal behaviour caused by the prop/jet wash behind the boat which is roatating in the water. It causes the stern to push left/right left/right which pushes the bow back and forth. Don't try to compensate for wander, just keep the bow pointed in the right direction (twin engine boats don't really wander as the two thrusts counter each other).

Three things to remember for docking and slow speed maneuvering:
1 - you need thrust to steer easily so don't rely on neutral to coast, use the fwd/rev more and use TDE to keep fwd thrust to a minimum
2 - if you need more response, use No Wake Mode 1 or 2 (I use just 1) to get more thrust and TDE to keep fwd speed managable
3 - when you need rev you have to double the thrust level to get the same reaction as fwd because the impeller is still sucking in water and pushing it out the back and using a bucket to change the jet direction, so if you need to slow or stop, give it more throttle to get the reaction you need.

If there's any wind or current, I like docking at an angle - approach with the bow aimed in the middle of the dock area you want, then about 5 feet away turn the wheel to steer parallel, go to rev and at the same time turn the wheel toward the dock and the boat will slow and the stern will get pulled in toward the dock. Done right you look like a pro and stop perfectly parallel to the dock. My wife loves it when I do that, and she just reaches out and grabs the dock cleat with the dock line. Done.

As mentioned, practice helps - go into a quiet cove and practice docking with an imaginary dock or even use a float to approach and "dock". You should also practice backing up and turning to help retrieval of dropped items or people in the water so you come up to them without hitting them. We regularly use a boat-hook to retrieve garbage from the water like floating cans, bottles, hats, etc. Sucking them into the jet intake can ruin your day. Same with ropes, don't drive over one with the engine running or you can suck it up and wrap it around your impreller shaft.

Also note that we never added aftermarket steering fins - our boat is stock and the articulating keel (rudder) does a decent job for us. Ok the only addon I bought was a second "rudder" tie-rod shaft to balance out the steering control wear and improve the feel, but that doesn't affect the basics of how well it works.
:)

@lopjester The bottom line is you don't need Fins to drive your boat. BUT they will help you steer and control much better than without. NEED is subjective. No different than upgrading the stereo, adding amps, changing ballast, adding better decking, extra bilge pumps, etc. etc. None of that is needed but they all are a definite improvement.

@lopjester The bottom line is you don't need Fins to drive your boat. BUT they will help you steer and control much better than without. NEED is subjective. No different than upgrading the stereo, adding amps, changing ballast, adding better decking, extra bilge pumps, etc. etc. None of that is needed but they all are a definite improvement.
True, thank you so much

@lopjester ... extra bilge pumps, etc. etc.
Shameless plug, nobody ever said, "So sad I installed so much extra bilge power my boat didn't sink when that hole opened up. " Bilge Alarm and Extra Bilge pump power are awesome add-ons that are not super sexy, but will save your boat from sinking!!!!! Unrelated to topic and quote, but I could not help myself.

Back