• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need advice - Clogged Water Jackets

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
I've been on a long hiatus from this Board, it's good to be back. I had some overheats at the end of last season. When I took it to dealer for winter service/storage, he discovered I have clogged water jackets - I guess I wasn't diligent about flushing EVERY outing. It's approximately $5k apparently. Haven't had time to research, but is this a very difficult fix, or can I do it with my neighbor who works on boats (although not jet boats per se) for a living? I'm a 6/10 on the handyman scale, he's probably a 10/10. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I would pull you thermostat and anode on the engine and see what condition they are in,

where in the system did he find the clogged water jackets, exhaust manifold, exhaust jacket ?

which sensor was throwing the overheat ? the 1.8l have a history of bad sensors,

you can flush the system yourself with a wonderful DIY from member crankygypsy, It will take me a few minutes to find the link,

unless you don't have time or don't care about the money, I would try to diagnose this myself before giving the dealer $5k,

WD40 Spray half can down each flush point .. runs the hose for 10 seconds each motor .. shut off let sit for 1 day ... then flush it out with hose water .. its like a soak .. wd40 is a cleaner / penatrant .. im thinking of doing this as it could not harm anything imo

if you do any type of flushing make sure you have a shutoff valve on you cooling water inlet (rear of the "y" fitting) so that your flush water doesn't backflow out the inlet at the jet pump,

WD40 Spray half can down each flush point .. runs the hose for 10 seconds each motor .. shut off let sit for 1 day ... then flush it out with hose water .. its like a soak .. wd40 is a cleaner / penatrant .. im thinking of doing this as it could not harm anything imo

is wd40 going to breakdown calcium / salt deposits ???

I think I would tell the dealership I didn't have $5k to fix it right now and pull it home and try to figure it out myself,

I dont know exactly .. i would think it could ... or even better PB blaster ..

My only concern would be harming the seals . but i dont think it would unless you left a concoction soaking in there with jet y valves closed for a month lol

Below are the instructions from Salt Away on how to do a normal flush, and how to remove built up salt.

Salt away flushing instructions.

Salt away treatment for overheating marine engines

Checking the engine anodes and thermostats is also necessary, but perhaps you can use the overheating engines procedure to fix your problem.

Frankly, I would start with Salt Away (which probably won't work as well as you need it to) and then move to vinegar. I would do that before WD40 or PB (note that WD40 is originally a water displacement chemical--so it is going to stop water (and possibly other stuff) from getting to your metal and deposits in the engine...). That said, I do want to recognize the contribution of the idea. If we don't get these out in the open, we can't find the best solution (and I may yet be wrong here).

Rationale: I am thinking two most likely clogging things are either a salt-type deposit or a calcium-type deposit. Salt Away will be good for the first (and is designed to be ok for engine, seals, etc.). Calcium will need an acid, but mild enough not to do harm.... vinegar.

Back