• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need second opinion on leaf springs

Run it?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (put original back and wait indefinitely for shorelandr)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I ordered replacement leaf springs for my AR192's 2015 shorelandr single axle trailer. I couldn't get the original spring because shorelandr was sold out and I couldn't find 1 with exact dimensions. I ordered a Dayton Parts US-2016 26.25" Open Eye 5-Leaf Trailer Spring 2850Lb Capacity Ea.

The slipper end of the spring is aligned with the bolt like this. I don't think it could fall out.
Axle also would move back slightly. I dont think this would be an issue.

Capture.PNG

IMG_5795.jpg

IMG_5796 (1).jpg
IMG_5797.jpg

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There's not much room to move when the spring compresses, and thus becomes longer length-wise. Seems awfully short. I would expect the least compressed position would have the bolt as close to the right as possible so whenever the spring compresses, there is plenty of leaf spring above the bolt.

With some wear, it seems possible for the spring to flatten some and possibly escape the captivity of the bolt in a big jump (say over a pothole? as the trailer bounces)

I'm not sure of the consequences though, it may just clang louder as it falls back into place once it lands back on earth after a jump. Maybe you are still OK?

Any data/info from the maker of the leaf spring? Good Luck as you make your decision.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There's not much room to move when the spring compresses, and thus becomes longer length-wise. Seems awfully short. I would expect the least compressed position would have the bolt as close to the right as possible so whenever the spring compresses, there is plenty of leaf spring above the bolt.

With some wear, it seems possible for the spring to flatten some and possibly escape the captivity of the bolt in a big jump (say over a pothole? as the trailer bounces)

I'm not sure of the consequences though, it may just clang louder as it falls back into place once it lands back on earth after a jump. Maybe you are still OK?

Any data/info from the maker of the leaf spring? Good Luck as you make your decision.
Thats what im thinking. I dont think there would be any consequence of it.
Here's an idea: What if I bend that fender bracket behind the spring so the spring couldn't escape?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
IHMO do not run those replacement springs.

Looking at the other thumbnail pic of your oem springs, it is obvious that the replacements you have are too short.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
IHMO do not run those replacement springs.

Looking at the other thumbnail pic of your oem springs, it is obvious that the replacements you have are too short.
Then that means there is no replacement leaf spring for my trailer. I've looked everywhere

Radman7734

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Then that means there is no replacement leaf spring for my trailer. I've looked everywhere
What was the outcome of the spring situation? I have a similar situation with my FSH 210 Shorelandr trailer. The one place that lists the springs says they are out of stock and has them at 27 inches which are impossible to find...

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What was the outcome of the spring situation? I have a similar situation with my FSH 210 Shorelandr trailer. The one place that lists the springs says they are out of stock and has them at 27 inches which are impossible to find...
I returned the springs and I'm waiting for the shorelandr 4610048 to come back in stock. I've emailed a few different companies and there isn't a aftermarket replacement. I emailed shorelandr and they said eye-to-eye is 25-1/4". I know this is available in a double eye spring so I asked if this is OK. They said it's not OK.

To make it worse, the supplier for the 4610048 has raised the prices to $280 for the pair. Too expensive for springs. Still out of stock.

If the trailer is out of service because of this spring, you would need to find a hanger and have someone weld a new one on to match the spring I originally posted. I'm not happy with shorelandr. They should have replacement parts for a relatively new trailer or not have proprietary sizes.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Would consider contacting etrailer.com to see if they could recommend a solution with some bolt on hangers and similar sized springs before the long wait for overpriced non standard springs or a trip to a trailer shop.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those springs would have popped off the bolt once compressed and you wouldn't even know it until it's too late. Either new brackets or wait/find some correct length springs. The last thing anyone wants is to have something happen that could have been avoided.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There's a trailer place in town that does Marine Trailers - McClain . (In Houston) but I wonder if you might not have something like this near by, where they actually stock marine trailer parts including hangers, bolts, springs, etc. You might be able to create a solution if you are in the "right" (well stocked) place.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
At $280 I would start considered a torsion axle.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Those springs would have popped off the bolt once compressed and you wouldn't even know it until it's too late. Either new brackets or wait/find some correct length springs. The last thing anyone wants is to have something happen that could have been avoided.
Thats not how it works.. Under load the spring is pushing against the trailer frame. The bolt is only there to keep the spring from falling out when hyper-extended, like the boat jumps in the air and theres 0 load on the spring. I really think it would've worked, but I also thought it would be easier to get the OEM spring so I didn't go ahead with it. I also didn't know the OEM springs would increase 2x in cost from then until now.

Radman7734

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Went to a local trailer shop today and they advised that Shorelandr trailers use proprietary parts ( like 4610048 25 1/4 / 27 inch c springs and equalizers ) that they custom manufacture and they charge a premium for the parts. When I added up the parts it was well over 800 dollars. They advised they could remove the subframe and install one that uses off the shelf parts making repair and upkeep much cheaper. They gave me a quote for 750 in parts not including labor and replacing the fenders. They advised it should take two hours at 100 an hour labor so 950 total. I told them don’t do the fenders and I’ll custom fit my old ones somehow so the price is now 750 parts and labor after removing the new fenders off the bill so I’m going with it as it’s cheaper, easier and the performance will basically be the same. The maintenance will be cheaper as well as I can use regular eye leaf springs and with salt water I have to replace them every three years so this is huge for me. This will only work if you have a subframe on your trailer and as I live in Florida and have an aluminum trailer with subframe. I attached the picture of the underside of my trailer with the subframe outlined in red and attached to the aluminum with u bolts. I also attached the quote with the parts but I won’t be getting the fenders to save money. Hopefully this will save some people with aluminum trailers some research. My appointment is on the 24th and I’ll let you guys know how things turn out.

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That still seems a bit on the expensive side...

What if you get a strip of steel, say 1.5 inch wide, a few inches long, and bend into flat U shape, then bolt it into the rear of the spring holder area, the flat bottom of the u on those 2 holes towards the back on that flat piece of the trailer, and the front of the U on the current bolts that hold the spring, and hold the spring with a bolt on the middle of this new steel piece?

So esencially build a box/u around the current hole, towards that rear tab, and make yourself the new bolt you wish you had?

Let me see if I can put a picture together...IMG_5795~2.jpg

This seems pretty reasonable and not 700 bucks, just another idea.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And there's wasn't a much longer last spring that could be hanged with u- bolts further back leaving everything else the same? Maybe a cheaper alternative with no fabrication.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
And there's wasn't a much longer last spring that could be hanged with u- bolts further back leaving everything else the same? Maybe a cheaper alternative with no fabrication.
Its $280 for the pair of springs. My strategy is to hope the springs don't grenade. And if they do, then it will go to a shop that has a welder to put new hangers.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its $280 for the pair of springs. My strategy is to hope the springs don't grenade. And if they do, then it will go to a shop that has a welder to put new hangers.
I hate this style to begin with. "sliding" components ALWAYS wear.

I wonder if you could get a set of springs that use hangers at attachments (like the back of a truck), and not this sliding arrangement.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder if you could get a set of springs that use hangers at attachments (like the back of a truck), and not this sliding arrangement.
Get a shackle to attach to the one end where the bolt is that your having issues with and get leaf springs with two eyes. Problem solved.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Get a shackle to attach to the one end where the bolt is that your having issues with and get leaf springs with two eyes. Problem solved.
If I buy this leaf spring

and this hanger kit

The problem is the shackle link would lower the attachment point of the leaf spring. For example, on the picture below, these 2 dimensions need to be equivalent. Therefore I would need to replace the front hanger to a longer hanger. And raises the trailer roughly 3-1/8" (the length of the shackle link). I think at that point, I would have to move the axle to above the leaf spring to maintain factory geometry.

mark up spring.PNG

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only thing you would need out of that hanger kit would be the plates and bolts. (my cheap ass would just make them and buy some grade 8 bolts) If you want to stay close to factory height then yes you'd have to probably put the axle above the springs which wouldn't be an issue otherwise I would try it without swapping the axle around. It would just increase the trailer height by a couple inches.