• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

new 1.8 SVHO or 1.8 HO reliability

Tahoeboyd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Does anyone here has any experiences or knowledge of how reliable the Yamaha super charge 1.8 engines are? Do they require a lot more maintenance or prone to give you trouble? Would you just stay with natural aspire 1.8 for dependability?

I would go naturally aspirated but that’s just me. Less maintenance I believe and you can use regular gas instead of premium. Probably less problems in the long run also not having to rebuild supercharger and other issues that may come from it. The non supercharged engines are mostly bullet proof with regular maintenance which is easy to do yourself.

the svho is a very reliable engine. in the wavwrunners the sc needs a clutch replacement every 80-150 hrs. this is because the ski constantly becomes unhooked and the clutch really takes a beating. in the boats its a different story. there really isnt any maintenance to be done to it. you can get hundreds of hours out of it on a boat. its also nothing you need to do as routine maintenance. when the clutch goes it just goes. it will not leave you stranded. your just limited to 5000-5500 rpm or so. once it goes change it and your back in business.

the svho is a very reliable engine. in the wavwrunners the sc needs a clutch replacement every 80-150 hrs. this is because the ski constantly becomes unhooked and the clutch really takes a beating. in the boats its a different story. there really isnt any maintenance to be done to it. you can get hundreds of hours out of it on a boat. its also nothing you need to do as routine maintenance. when the clutch goes it just goes. it will not leave you stranded. your just limited to 5000-5500 rpm or so. once it goes change it and your back in business.
The supercharger clutch does not have a maintenance interval, the older brps needed replacement every 150 hours or so but not a yamaha. There is no difference in maintenance between a na or sc yamaha engine. I own both.
It is recommended to get a blow off valve to help prolong the clutch life but unless you are modding the crap out of it, it will last a long, long time.
I know of a few svho skis with 500 plus hours and original sc clutch

awesome, thanks guys. I'm looking at either 252XE or 255XE!

What did you end up getting? I'm looking at a 255XE.. hoping they supercharge the 1.9 tomorrow!

What did you end up getting? I'm looking at a 255XE.. hoping they supercharge the 1.9 tomorrow!
The Op hasn’t been on the site since Oct of 21 so I wouldn’t be holding my breath for an answer

L

lol.. dang.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either the NA or the SC 1.8’s as far as reliability is concerned, if it was me I’d put pop off valves on it as that seems to be a good preventative device should you happen to catch some air or even cross big waves where the pump can suck a lot of air then get shock loaded when they hook up again. Having said that there are a lot of SC engines out there running as is from the factory with no problems. Keep in mind, people aren’t jumping on the net to tell everyone how awesome their boat is, they get on the net to find solutions to problems they’re having.

The only other thing would be the premium fuel requirement of the SC engine, the modest cost increase is secondary to availability to me. Related to that is range or run time on fuel.

Get the boat you want.

Back