• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

NEW 2020 Yamaha 195S Boat

dwillson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Anyone know the diameter of the wakeboard tower tubes? Looking to put JL M6 7.7 tower speakers on mine and the brackets I would like to get are size specific. Also, are the front and rear tubes the same diameter? Also, any recommendations on where to put a 10" JL M6 Sub? It does not need a sealed enclosure, so considering 1 of two locations: either (1) built into the front of the port bench seat (so it would face the bottom back the of the port captains chair) or (2) built into the front of the starboard passenger seat (so it would face the open area where the table goes. Was leaning toward option 1 because it would a a little more hidden and there is also already a 6.5" wet sounds stock speaker in that storage area...so I am thinking the less storage spaces I start using for stereo equipment the better. I am assuming the rear port bench is also where the battery is (that is where it is on my old 2017 AR195, so access to everything is easier in that storage area as that will probably be where the amp(s) will go as well.

One thing I just thought of...is there even enough surface area to put a 10" sub on those vertical fiberglass surfaces?

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone know the diameter of the wakeboard tower tubes?

Not positive on tube size, but front and back tube are the same. I mounted wetsounds rev10s on the front facing tube. Wetsounds though are adjustable swivel clamps. So not sure on that one.

The sub could go in either location you mentioned. Mine is in a vented enclosure so not much help to you. I can say the starboard aft seat your talking about you could do it there facing table. When you remove that cushion there is a overhang in front, and the area goes deep to the back. So the sub may fit facing table, and when you remove cushion it'll be under the lip. Hope that makes sense.
The other area you mentioned could work as well. Plenty of area there with the same overhang. Both good spots. My suggestion...... Do a sub in both 😉. I'm running a wetsounds 12" with 600watts of power in a vented enclosure. Sounds awesome, but I'm considering adding another in the other compartment.
Lastly, yes the battery is under port aft bench seat as well as cutoff switch.

Check my build thread of you wanna see how I did my electronics in that storage area.

dwillson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Not positive on tube size, but front and back tube are the same. I mounted wetsounds rev10s on the front facing tube. Wetsounds though are adjustable swivel clamps. So not sure on that one.
I am debating between the JL 7.7 M6's or the 8.8 M6's on the tower. Wondering if there would be much difference in them. Also, plan on powering the tower speakers with JL M200/2 amp. Do you think that will be enough power to them? I have read conflicting things on whether or not the JL M200/2 is enough power for 2 tower speakers. I have heard people say it is plenty of power and and I have heard others recommend the JL M400/4 and bridging 4 channels to 2 for the tower speakers. That seems like overkill, but I am not all that educated on speaker/amp stuff. BTW...I am planning on getting a JL M700/5 amp to power the stock 4 6.5" Wet Sounds speakers as well as the 10" sub.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am debating between the JL 7.7 M6's or the 8.8 M6's on the tower. Wondering if there would be much difference in them. Also, plan on powering the tower speakers with JL M200/2 amp. Do you think that will be enough power to them? I have read conflicting things on whether or not the JL M200/2 is enough power for 2 tower speakers. I have heard people say it is plenty of power and and I have heard others recommend the JL M400/4 and bridging 4 channels to 2 for the tower speakers. That seems like overkill, but I am not all that educated on speaker/amp stuff. BTW...I am planning on getting a JL M700/5 amp to power the stock 4 6.5" Wet Sounds speakers as well as the 10" sub.

I've never liked JL boat systems. Just seemed underpowered to me, but I'm used to wetsounds. So kinda apples and oranges. JL makes really high quality stuff for marine applications, and there are so many people using them. I went with all wetsounds because boat came stock with wetsounds.
I can tell you my wetsounds rev10s getting 400 watts each will drown out any JL tower setup. Got a guy locally running the dual 7 (so 4 total speakers). When we show up, or another guy local with Rev 10s the JL guy turns his off 😂😂

dwillson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Seems like people are either Wetsounds fans or JL fans, and they are very different. Wetsounds to me projects very far distances and are definitely louder, but the sound quality is a little more like a PA system. JL seems to me like more well rounded sound. They both seem to have their applications. I am not trying to be the loudest system on the sandbar or I would go Wetsounds. I do want something that sounds good both in the boat and hanging out around it within 30' or so. I am not trying to go toe-to-toe with Rev 10s as they are pretty much the loudest thing on the water from what I have heard.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone know the diameter of the wakeboard tower tubes? Looking to put JL M6 7.7 tower speakers on mine and the brackets I would like to get are size specific. Also, are the front and rear tubes the same diameter? Also, any recommendations on where to put a 10" JL M6 Sub? It does not need a sealed enclosure, so considering 1 of two locations: either (1) built into the front of the port bench seat (so it would face the bottom back the of the port captains chair) or (2) built into the front of the starboard passenger seat (so it would face the open area where the table goes. Was leaning toward option 1 because it would a a little more hidden and there is also already a 6.5" wet sounds stock speaker in that storage area...so I am thinking the less storage spaces I start using for stereo equipment the better. I am assuming the rear port bench is also where the battery is (that is where it is on my old 2017 AR195, so access to everything is easier in that storage area as that will probably be where the amp(s) will go as well.

One thing I just thought of...is there even enough surface area to put a 10" sub on those vertical fiberglass surfaces?
Tower tube size is in this thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/tower-tube-size-for-faq.14096/

dwillson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
What is the size of the stock Wet sounds speakers? Are they 6.5" or 5"?

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What is the size of the stock Wet sounds speakers? Are they 6.5" or 5"?
Wetsounds Recon 5s. 5" sound good stock, but even better with a little power from a amp

Dlehmann

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
That spec sheet states it only needs regular gas. Is that correct?
2020 195S...not available in the drop down to update. Yes, set up to run on 87 oct. Purchased mine at the Chicago Boat Show. Will be venturing down to Alabama in late march and onto FLA for the first week of April. I bought a Scarab 195ID but never took possession, when I saw this boat (for the same price) I bought it and cancelled the other. I like the roominess of this boat and the not so loud color offerings. I will let you know how it runs and if the 40 gal will offer the range that they say it will.

Last edited:

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2020 195S...not available in the drop down to update. Yes, set up to run on 87 oct. Purchased mine at the Chicago Boat Show. Will be venturing down to Alabama in late march and onto FLA for the first week of April. I bought a Scarab 195ID but never took possession, when I saw this boat (for the same price) I bought it and cancelled the other. I like the roominess of this boat and the not so loud color offerings. I will let you know how it runs and if the 40 gal will offer the range that they say it will.
The Yamaha 195S takes premium fuel. 91+ octane depending on your area. It is a supercharged engine requiring premium fuel.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I was told premium as well by a few different dealerships when initially looking at the 195S

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
2020 195S...not available in the drop down to update. Yes, set up to run on 87 oct.
While it will run on 87 or 89 octane, you won't get the optimum performance. As the others have stated, it's a supercharged engine and really should be run with 91 - owner's manual confirms the recommendation.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
While it will run on 87 or 89 octane, you won't get the optimum performance. As the others have stated, it's a supercharged engine and really should be run with 91 - owner's manual confirms the recommendation.
It's no so much the fact it's supercharged but the fact it has a hotter setup and more boost than previous supercharged PWC's and boats that only required regular 87. I think the SVHO put out around 50hp more than the 192 SHO's did.

As far as I'm aware there is no detune flash Yamaha or dealers will put on the SVHO. Not sure how much stock I'd put in what the dealer told @Diehmann in regards to setup to run 87. I mean could you run 87 in that boat sure it would crank and run off it but running safely without a bunch of timing and risk of detenonation that I'm not so sure of and wouldn't risk it.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
ABSOLUTELY still in love. Check my thread here for more updates.....

What kind of Glastron did you move from? When do you think the new 2021 Yamaha's will hit dealers? The Service Manager (SM) at Surdyke Yamaha in Lake of the Ozarks (the shop I use) said they sold out of all 2020 Yamaha's in May and there are none to be had across the nation. He said typically they hit mid-August or so, but he thought they typically drag their feet on new models to help the previous year models clear-out of dealers. However, this year there are no previous models available and with the Yamaha plant back up and running, he thought they'd be getting new boats out sometime even in July. I am waiting for a 2021 AR195 and was curious to get your thoughts as you recently got yours.

I have a painful story to share. I will be updating this info on the post I had started on this on the Glastron section. I own a 2018 Glastron GTS187. It has the SC'd 250HP Rotax and it went really well, until it didn't. I babied it the summer of 2018 just putting the 20 break-in hours on her. Had the break-in service performed and put her away for the year.

Last summer started out awesome with some great wake boarding. Right after we finished a cabin stay at Stockton Lake where we really had a great time wake boarding and playing, we broke down the next time on our local lake. It started showing a "Check Engine" code". We were only at 49.5 hours, just hanging out in a cove and we go to head in. The boat would shut-down if I went over 2,500 RPMS. So I started idling in for a few minutes and it half-way in it shuts off. It never ran rough and I wouldn't say it died; it was like you turned it off with the key. We had to get towed in and had to take it in for warranty repair. Rotax has a 3 year motor warranty, so we figured we should be fine. This was on August 6, 2019.

I still have never got my boat back. The initial diagnosis was a faulty electrical harness; it was showing continuity across the harness and I guess that's fairly common with BRP electrical harnesses. That got it running, but it apparently still showed a surge. They replaced the electronic control module (ECM) next, yet still the same.

They did a full motor inspection and found some oil around a spark plug boot. They figured, though the chances remote, perhaps their was some oil vapor causing the plug to foul. Changed the spaghetti valve cover gasket to no avail, runs great wide open, but in between it has a slight surge. They do not know what to do and BRP suggests a leak-down test at this point. So the dealer had to order the tool to manually turn the motor to do the complete lead-down test. After getting the tool and doing the test, it showed that cylinder #2 failed with only 38% compression.

Since there wasn't a failure in #1 or #3 cylinders, that ruled out the head gasket. Since there was no oil or fuel in the coolant, that ruled out the piston rings, leaving the valves as the culprit. They weren't sure what exactly the valve problem was, but the problem was with the valves. The SM had them drain the oil, remove and cut open the filter.

Inside the filter, they found small pieces of metal. Not shavings. The Service Manager at that point put in a request to BRP for a new motor. I was finally told this last week. I haven't had my boat for 10 months and I have been livid. I filed a complaint with the Missouri Attorney General's office, but that has not had much effect.

Last week, I started doing hard core research and looking at attorneys. Many would not have waited so long to do so. I found most states have Lemon laws to cover issues like this with vehicles, but these laws do not extend to boats or RV's. However, there is a federal law called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1975 that does and it stipulates you can also recover attorney's fees and court costs.

Last Fall, I couldn't find an attorney that wanted to get involved with this. Now I have several that want the case and one that has ensured I will owe him nothing should I lost the case. At this point, I am confident I could prevail regardless of whether it is front of an arbitrator, judge or jury. My misfortune has sucked, but eventually you figure if it goes long enough I should be taken care of. Right? I mean I paid almost $40,000 for the boat including extended warranties and accessories.

I've been making monthly payments on a boat I haven't even seen for 10 months. BRP hasn't even approved a new motor and at this point I am not sure I want the boat back. It's like brand new as I babied her keeping the boat in climate-controlled storage except at the lake or on a trip. She still looked exactly like she did when she was delivered when we took her in for repair. Now she's been sitting outside the entire time. Under cover and covered, but outside nonetheless.

I apologize for the super long post. Let me wrap this. I sent an offer last week for the dealer to take my boat and pay off the loan. I owed more than I could have sold it for, but at this point I wasn't worried about that. I mean surely I should be due some sort of compensation. Included in the offer was for me to get a new Yamaha AR195 w/ extended warranty. I would seek no compensation for being w/o a boat for what was going to be a year and I would pay no out of pocket money towards the new Yamaha and my new payment had to be at or less than where I am now. This offer was sent through the Attorney General's office. He fast-tracked it to the dealer.

Yesterday, still not hearing anything, I called the dealer to get an open repair bill/log on my Glastron at the suggestion of an attorney in preparation for a case. When I called the SM, he said I had talked to Mason. I told him I didn't know a Mason, was he with them. He said yeah and that Mason had asked about my Glastron and the condition. He told them it was like new, but it need a new motor from BRP. He said shortly thereafter he received a call from the owner saying they were taking my Glastron back and getting me a new AR195. He said they put my name on one of the first one's they will be getting in from Yamaha. So that's why I am so very curious when the new one's will start hitting dealers.

I don't have anything in writing and will not be satisfied until I have a new boat. I will keep everyone posted!

Last edited:

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What kind of Glastron did you move from? When do you think the new 2021 Yamaha's will hit dealers? The Service Manager (SM) at Surdyke Yamaha in Lake of the Ozarks (the shop I use) said they sold out of all 2020 Yamaha's in May and there are none to be had across the nation. He said typically they hit mid-August or so, but he thought they typically drag their feet on new models to help the previous year models clear-out of dealers. However, this year there are no previous models available and with the Yamaha plant back up and running, he thought they'd be getting new boats out sometime even in July. I am waiting for a 2021 AR195 and was curious to get your thoughts as you recently got yours.

I have a painful story to share. I will be updating this info on the post I had started on this on the Glastron section. I own a 2018 Glastron GTS187. It has the SC'd 250HP Rotax and it went really well, until it didn't. I babied it the summer of 2018 just putting the 20 break-in hours on her. Had the break-in service performed and put her away for the year.

Last summer started out awesome with some great wake boarding. Right after we finished a cabin stay at Stockton Lake where we really had a great time wake boarding and playing, we broke down the next time on our local lake. It started showing a "Check Engine" code". We were only at 49.5 hours, just hanging out in a cove and we go to head in. The boat would shut-down if I went over 2,500 RPMS. So I started idling in for a few minutes and it half-way in it shuts off. It never ran rough and I wouldn't say it died; it was like you turned it off with the key. We had to get towed in and had to take it in for warranty repair. Rotax has a 3 year motor warranty, so we figured we should be fine. This was on August 6, 2019.

I still have never got my boat back. The initial diagnosis was a faulty electrical harness; it was showing continuity across the harness and I guess that's fairly common with BRP electrical harnesses. That got it running, but it apparently still showed a surge. They replaced the electronic control module (ECM) next, yet still the same.

They did a full motor inspection and found some oil around a spark plug boot. They figured, though the chances remote, perhaps their was some oil vapor causing the plug to foul. Changed the spaghetti valve cover gasket to no avail, runs great wide open, but in between it has a slight surge. They do not know what to do and BRP suggests a leak-down test at this point. So the dealer had to order the tool to manually turn the motor to do the complete lead-down test. After getting the tool and doing the test, it showed that cylinder #2 failed with only 38% compression.

Since there wasn't a failure in #1 or #3 cylinders, that ruled out the head gasket. Since there was no oil or fuel in the coolant, that ruled out the piston rings, leaving the valves as the culprit. They weren't sure what exactly the valve problem was, but the problem was with the valves. The SM had them drain the oil, remove and cut open the filter.

Inside the filter, they found small pieces of metal. Not shavings. The Service Manager at that point put in a request to BRP for a new motor. I was finally told this last week. I haven't had my boat for 10 months and I have been livid. I filed a complaint with the Missouri Attorney General's office, but that has not had much effect.

Last week, I started doing hard core research and looking at attorneys. Many would not have waited so long to do so. I found most states have Lemon laws to cover issues like this with vehicles, but these laws do not extend to boats or RV's. However, there is a federal law called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1975 that does and it stipulates you can also recover attorney's fees and court costs.

Last Fall, I couldn't find an attorney that wanted to get involved with this. Now I have several that want the case and one that has ensured I will owe him nothing should I lost the case. At this point, I am confident I could prevail regardless of whether it is front of an arbitrator, judge or jury. My misfortune has sucked, but eventually you figure if it goes long enough I should be taken care of. Right? I mean I paid almost $40,000 for the boat including extended warranties and accessories.

I've been making monthly payments on a boat I haven't even seen for 10 months. BRP hasn't even approved a new motor and at this point I am not sure I want the boat back. It's like brand new as I babied her keeping the boat in climate-controlled storage except at the lake or on a trip. She still looked exactly like she did when she was delivered when we took her in for repair. Now she's been sitting outside the entire time. Under cover and covered, but outside nonetheless.

I apologize for the super long post. Let me wrap this. I sent an offer last week for the dealer to take my boat and pay off the loan. I owed more than I could have sold it for, but at this point I wasn't worried about that. I mean surely I should be due some sort of compensation. Included in the offer was for me to get a new Yamaha AR195 w/ extended warranty. I would seek no compensation for being w/o a boat for what was going to be a year and I would pay no out of pocket money towards the new Yamaha and my new payment had to be at or less than where I am now. This offer was sent through the Attorney General's office. He fast-tracked it to the dealer.

Yesterday, still not hearing anything, I called the dealer to get an open repair bill/log on my Glastron at the suggestion of an attorney in preparation for a case. When I called the SM, he said I had talked to Mason. I told him I didn't know a Mason, was he with them. He said yeah and that Mason had asked about my Glastron and the condition. He told them it was like new, but it need a new motor from BRP. He said shortly thereafter he received a call from the owner saying they were taking my Glastron back and getting me a new AR195. He said they put my name on one of the first one's they will be getting in from Yamaha. So that's why I am so very curious when the new one's will start hitting dealers.

I don't have anything in writing and will not be satisfied until I have a new boat. I will keep everyone posted!
Well that really sucks. Our Glastron was old. 2005 Gx185. We loved the boat, but started breaking down on us. The Volvo Penta 4.3 190Hp was chewing through starters and always overheating. Needed all new interior as well (no walkover like yamaha). So it was time to go. We sold it cash and funded the stereo, and a few other things for our new boat (195S).
So we ordered ours through dealer straight from factory in mid August (as soon as they released 195S). We took delivery in mid September. Whole process was super smooth with our dealer.

Here's a pic of the old girl...
20190527_151555.jpg

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Well that really sucks. Our Glastron was old. 2005 Gx185. We loved the boat, but started breaking down on us. The Volvo Penta 4.3 190Hp was chewing through starters and always overheating. Needed all new interior as well (no walkover like yamaha). So it was time to go. We sold it cash and funded the stereo, and a few other things for our new boat (195S).
So we ordered ours through dealer straight from factory in mid August (as soon as they released 195S). We took delivery in mid September. Whole process was super smooth with our dealer.

Here's a pic of the old girl...
View attachment 121571
Well you can tell you took care of her. My uncle had a blue glitter Glastron with a Chevy 350 that hauled ass back in the late 70's. I loved our Glastron Jet while she worked. I've always loved the Yamaha jetboats and I owned a 2011 Yamaha R1 cycle that I loved (got rid of that when the daughter was born).

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well you can tell you took care of her. My uncle had a blue glitter Glastron with a Chevy 350 that hauled ass back in the late 70's. I loved our Glastron Jet while she worked. I've always loved the Yamaha jetboats and I owned a 2011 Yamaha R1 cycle that I loved (got rid of that when the daughter was born).
You'll love the Yamaha boat as well. Swim deck alone is worth every penny

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
That spec sheet states it only needs regular gas. Is that correct?
@Stealth ....good catch. Regular gas - NO...... All Yamaha supercharged engines (and all others I am aware of) require minimum super unleaded - referred to as 91 where I boat.