• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 210 FSH - excess sealant near prop

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Crawling around trying to figure out why I can't get my clean out plugs to turn more than 1/4" once they're seated, I noticed a nasty little flap of sealant squeezed out of one of the seams. Do I need to trim than down flush, or is it no big deal?

1644063387017.jpeg

1644063421332.jpeg

Id trim that excess sealant off.

Spray your clean out plugs liberally with silicone spray. I don’t think they turn much past 1/4 turn to lock. There are visual marks on the clean out plugs to show water or not they’re seated. Check your manual.

Id trim that excess sealant off.

Spray your clean out plugs liberally with silicone spray. I don’t think they turn much past 1/4 turn to lock. There are visual marks on the clean out plugs to show water or not they’re seated. Check your manual.
Thanks, I'll try the silicone spray and see if that helps. Me and the owner's manual are old friends. Service manual as well. I'm just missing something obvious. I'm not getting more than 1/4", let alone 1/4 turn. It catches as soon as the tabs start to rotate into the slots. I'll go play with it again before I start my Garmin install and if I continue to be stumped by this basic step, I'll take a picture to show where it's sticking.

Thanks, I'll try the silicone spray and see if that helps. Me and the owner's manual are old friends. Service manual as well. I'm just missing something obvious. I'm not getting more than 1/4", let alone 1/4 turn.
Make sure you're pushing down on the handle when you turn to the starboard to lock - there's a small locking ridge under the lip you clear when you push down - it doesn't take a lot of force, maybe 3-4lbs of pressure. That's what locks the plug in place. It's only a 1/6th turn to lock/unlock. When in the locked position, it should be horizontal across the beam of the boat like this:
1644084715854.png

thanks for the tips, gentlemen. the silicone definitely helped, and it felt like I had to push down with most of my 160 lbs. I expect it will be easier now, knowing exactly what it feels like.

Coult45 - I’m with you. I have trouble locking the plugs. I have them set correctly and insert them properly oriented. I just don’t seem to be strong enough to get them locked. I eventually manage to get them locked in place, but it’s a job.
Can too much silicon hurt?
I haven’t soaked the tube latches and plug ears, but that’s my plan next time out. I’m thinking once locked they won’t magically unlock without downward twisting pressure.

@Ericd
thanks for the tips, gentlemen. the silicone definitely helped, and it felt like I had to push down with most of my 160 lbs. I expect it will be easier now, knowing exactly what it feels like.
Wow...definitely shouldn't take a lot of force to press them in and turn them...anyone will tell you the typical pressure is not great. Perhaps the locking ring has changed due to manufacturing changes of some kind? Or due to covid someone didn't install them correctly?

Make sure you're pushing down on the handle when you turn to the starboard to lock - there's a small locking ridge under the lip you clear when you push down - it doesn't take a lot of force, maybe 3-4lbs of pressure. That's what locks the plug in place. It's only a 1/6th turn to lock/unlock. When in the locked position, it should be horizontal across the beam of the boat like this:
View attachment 170663
Just checked them again. They operate pretty much exactly how you describe now. I really think it was just dry metal on dry metal, in a cold and dry garage, with two parts that had maybe only been seated in place once at the factory during original installation. And a little hesitancy on my part, not to jam a component in place if I didn't understand exactly what I was doing. thanks again!

Back