• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New AR190 - It takes 6K RPM to go 20mph?!

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2016 AR 190 with 100 hours on it. Being that it is a jet drive they thrive on existing momentum.So in order to get the speed I desire I will go faster then that, then reduce rpms and let the boat settle down into the speed I want. Seems less stressful on the motor than slowly trying to get on plane at the lowest rpm possible. But yes these motors can handle high rpms. You will get used to it.However the new models are around 500 pounds heavier and you will feel it behind the throttle
Agreed- I would say this goes for every boat...at least every boat I’ve owned ( stern, v-drive, jet drive) works best. Throttle harder to get on plane, then back off to the speed you want. :thumbsup:

r3volol

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a completely stock 19’ AR190 and I believe we would cruise at 20 MPH at around 5,500 RPM. I do remember performance improved around the 10 hour mark. 6,000 RPM sounds a little high to me.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for your feedback and comments everyone.
Good summary of the numbers. I think that is about what you should expect from the single engine 190. You will find that 39 in a 19' is pretty fast once there is chop and others in the boat including kids. Eventually you may want to move up and get twin engines for water sports but give it a chance and you will love it. Check out @Leojay videos on Youtube and you will see you have a great boat.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for providing those figures of your RPM's and speed. You're getting much better performance than I am out of the same hull and motor. Do you recall if your engine felt like it put out more power as it got more broken in at say 5 and 10 hours?
It Shouldn’t. I believe the brp motors have electronics that gradually let them spin up as break-in is completed. I didn’t notice that my 1.8’s had that feature. I think break-in was all on me to follow the manual or not.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It Shouldn’t. I believe the brp motors have electronics that gradually let them spin up as break-in is completed. I didn’t notice that my 1.8’s had that feature. I think break-in was all on me to follow the manual or not.
After reading the rest of the posts, it looks like a few did feel like they had more power after break-in.... I don’t think that was my experience, but maybe I just never noticed.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
More power after break in, if that is truly something that happens, won't have any impact on this particular issue. 6,000 rpm turns the impellers the same speed, which, assuming no cavitation or overall pump efficiency problems, creates the same thrust no matter how much more power there is available. The issue is why does 6,000 rpm equate to what sounds like a lower speed on this particular boat than on some others. I'm going to bet it is some pump efficiency problem, probably created by either a tiny bit of something stuck somewhere in the intake side of the pump, an imperfection in the sealant on the intake side of the pump, or a poor seal at the clean out plug.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Check the reverse gate as previously stated, Also where are you Located at? Maybe someone near by can take a gander and help throw some ideas out there.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ah yes, could absolutely be caused by the reverse bucket being too far down during forward operation.

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In my past career I was part of developing a number of Yamaha’s 4-strokes ( on the snowmobile side which are similar engines as the marine). We never saw HP numbers higher on a “broke-in” engine, but what we did see is that a “broke-in” engine would build HP quicker..Meaning a new engine was kind of lethargic up to peak HP.

Zjeepster

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very informative post. Wife and I wanted to pull the trigger on an ar190 or 195 this spring. After reading this I'm leaning more toward the 195. Was trying to justify the extra $5700.....but hey......probably the way to go. The SVHO engine amongst other things.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I was always suspicious that the computer was programmed to a break in period of time because it seemed to happen predictably at 10 hours

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My thoughts reading this post. 1st I have a 2019 AR 195 SVHO. Up to 20 hours felt different to me. (could just be me or maybe dealer set something. They (dealer told me break in was to 20 hours which we both know that is incorrect.) 2nd and probably the most important. The 2019 + hulls are slower than 2018 and older. You are not going to have the same speeds as 2017 or 2018. I don't with my AR 195. It is just a fact. The redesign caused a few MPH lost but a smoother / roomier ride.

Yamadale

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
T
More power after break in, if that is truly something that happens, won't have any impact on this particular issue. 6,000 rpm turns the impellers the same speed, which, assuming no cavitation or overall pump efficiency problems, creates the same thrust no matter how much more power there is available. The issue is why does 6,000 rpm equate to what sounds like a lower speed on this particular boat than on some others. I'm going to bet it is some pump efficiency problem, probably created by either a tiny bit of something stuck somewhere in the intake side of the pump, an imperfection in the sealant on the intake side of the pump, or a poor seal at the clean out plug.
That’s true about the clean out Port. If it’s not secured properly the boat will experience a lot of cavation

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My thoughts reading this post. 1st I have a 2019 AR 195 SVHO. Up to 20 hours felt different to me. (could just be me or maybe dealer set something. They (dealer told me break in was to 20 hours which we both know that is incorrect.) 2nd and probably the most important. The 2019 + hulls are slower than 2018 and older. You are not going to have the same speeds as 2017 or 2018. I don't with my AR 195. It is just a fact. The redesign caused a few MPH lost but a smoother / roomier ride.
I had heard this as well, didn’t they widen the beam slightly? That would account for more wetted area.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Seattle-Wind

I think your speeds are a tad low, but not absurdly so. I get around 42mph and 7,650rpm at full tilt, and cruise around 28-30mph at around 6,500 rpm of I remember right. I'll double check once on the water.

The #1 best mod I did to the boat so far, in terms of performance, is to seal the intake tunnel to the jet. Takes about 30-45 min to do a "sloppy" job, and it helps tremendously with the mid-range and low end "traction" of the jet. Here is my thread where I resealed the pump on my 2017 AR190.

And just to make sure others reading along have a full story here. My only performance mods are a ribbon delete, sealed tunnel and L13 cone. I've had 7 persons (all 100+ lbs) and several coolers on board and pulled a wakeskate up from a deep water start. I boat around 580' elevation and have NEVER felt like there wasn't enough power to pull a skier/boarder out of the water. I'm not going to win any drag races, but the single N/A 1.8L has proven very reliable, fuel efficient, and plenty powerful enough for a 19ft boat. My previous boat was a 19' 3.0L I/O powered '98 Rinker. The performance of the Yamaha is better in every single aspect to that boat.

Moral of story, add a few inexpensive mods (less than $20 to seal the tunnel and yank the ribbon) and I think you'll be happy with the performance. Don't worry about running it at 6k+ for extended periods, they're designed for this rev range, you aren't hurting anything.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yes 2019 is wider. I have heard in more than one place that this robs a few mph off the top speed.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My best run on the 2019 ar195 is 46mph as displayed by Connext, didn't have a GPS at the time. The svho has enough oomph that I have to modulate the power carefully when pulling someone out of the water. I remember water skiing behind a 90hp Yamaha a long time ago and we'd have to floor it every time.

Also, condition and cleanliness of the hull can cause differences of a few mph as well.

It ain't no race boat, I don't see myself spending 1 hr burning 22 GPH. Plus the kids would never trust me again to tow them on the tube!

Last edited:

Seattle-Wind

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback. The boat is perfectly clean and was just put in the water, so growth on the hull isn't a part of the issue. I think OrangeTJ is on to something regarding the sealant on the intake side of the pump or the clean out plug not being sealed.
I'm going to bet it is some pump efficiency problem, probably created by either a tiny bit of something stuck somewhere in the intake side of the pump, an imperfection in the sealant on the intake side of the pump, or a poor seal at the clean out plug.
I've noticed that the clean out plug fills all the way to the very brim overnight. I empty the water before use by simply removing the clean out plug and then putting it back in, but the next day it's filled to the absolute brim (so that the ski ropes that I store in the same compartment are wet, so it's probably overflowing). I make sure the plug is in tight. Could this be the speed robbing culprit?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could this be the speed robbing culprit?
I would highly doubt it. The plug is on the "suction" side of the jet pump, so you're not losing any thrust there. Might be a TINY bit from a drag/weight perspective, but it won't be a noticeable difference. Mine are almost always filled with water from various places, and it has zero affect on speed or acceleration.