• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New boater facepalm

nesnah2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Saw a guy on a Facebook group that routed his new Garmin transducer cable through his scupper line. What in the actual F? Do some research first man!! I'm trying to educate him but OMG!!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1660510277845.jpg
    FB_IMG_1660510277845.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 56
  • FB_IMG_1660510286114.jpg
    FB_IMG_1660510286114.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 58
Wow

Sorry but I can’t help but laugh when I read this!!

Yeah dude! It's funny and WTF at the same time.

It's amazing how many people do that with there Yamaha boats.

That really is Astounding. Thanks for making me laugh today. :winkingthumbsup"

Someone here did the same thing a few years ago.

So...that's the condition of the hose, which he didn't replace or even clean off, he ran it into that hose pretty close to the water level, and then out the old shitty plastic scupper, with a wire to hold open the flap in the scupper thatGUARANTEES that water will be able to flow back up into the hose. Have I missed anything in the "bad idea design"?

I can see running the wire ALONG the hose, having it feed out in that area if you wanted it mounted there, but why not drill the hole, run the cable, and seal it off? Why would you intentionally hold open a hole in your boat that will let water in, and MAKE a hole that will allow water directly into the engine compartment?

Was he, or is he currently, employed with Yamaha on the assembly line? Anchor locker drain installer? Cleanout tray sealer station? That's really some Yamaha assembly line thinking right there.

Someone else called him on it and he said, well it's above the water line... And he responded to mine with, he's going to seal the hose with 5200... LOL

A previous owner had done that with our 07 AR230. They had put a T in the scupper line just behind the deck fitting forward in the engine bay. Ran the wire in thru the T and out thru the flapper to the transom. I ripped out this installation and rewired it outside the scupper line.
This was after I rewired it when I installed the trim tabs. And before a S.S. scupper thru hull was installed.

20170604_173219.jpg

This was before.

20170520_171007.jpg

And the taped up T in the scupper drain.

20200511_080758~2.jpg

Last edited:
A previous owner had done that with our 07 AR230. They had put a T in the scupper line just behind the deck fitting forward in the engine bay. Ran the wire in thru the T and out thru the flapper to the transom. I ripped out this installation and rewired it outside the scupper line.
This was after I rewired it when I installed the trim tabs. And before a S.S. scupper thru hull was installed.

View attachment 185410

This was before.

View attachment 185411

And the taped up T in the scupper drain.

View attachment 185412
I never realized how low the scupper exits on that year of boats. The newer ones are a bit higher

Back