• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Not A Jet Boat, But Pretty Damn Cool

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
My dads new project, not a jet boat, but will be pretty cool when its finished up.

Boat - 1983 Checkmate Enchanter 21ft
Motor - 1983 Evinrude 250HP 2 stroke pre mix with hydraulic jack plate

1656590525125.png
1656590559807.png

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
He’s always wanted an Allison, but never found the right vintage. He did have a Duo Mystry 17 tunnel hull for a while. He’s a big man that likes little boats.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I drove a 18’ hondo v-drive once with a big block. I was smiling at 70 mph Or it was the wind.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Post some pics when it’s done.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Update:
-Electric brakes are being installed on the new trailer
-Hydraulic jack plate has been sent out for a thorough inspection and polish
—Engine is on the stand in the garage, some additional exhaust specialties waiting to deliver from Bobs Machine Shop.
- Metal flake paint has been purchased and new gel coat to “brighten” the hull.
Overall plan to complete and be in the water up in southern Ohio by summer 2023. Now my dad is debating removing the windscreen for a more streamline look and reduce the “aged” look from the 80s.
Guesstimated speed with the tuned engine (dyno tested at 280hp) and the speed prop should run it around mid 80s on a good day.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The wind screen looks cool!

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Circling back to this thread. Dad actually was able to get in touch with one of the owners sons who was the OMC outboard test driver and also the Checkmate factory driver way back when. Come to find out, this guy was the one who hand laid every Checkmate Enchanter hull and lives 80miles from my dad. Dad trailered the boat down to his house and it was confirmed the boat needs a new transom. It’s awesome how people in the boating community come together. This guy brought out all test paperwork for each outboard rigged and told my dad how to run the boat with the outboard he has. Dad has a jackplate, but this guy said the boat wasn’t designed for that and wouldn’t give him much more performance other than +3 mph at most. He said with the current OB and prop, cruising should be mid/high 70s and mid/upper 80s but suggests to relocate the fuel tank to the bow.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There is an epoxy product that your Dad can use to rebuild the transom if it is a wood core that has rotted. You dig out all of the wood and pour in the epoxy product.. much easier that having to tear off the outer layer of fiberglass, replace all of the bad wood then hand lay a whole new back section..

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
git rot I believe was the name of the product I used on my swimdeck hatch,

swatski had bragged about using it or something very similar to rebuild his transom on a previous boat and was very happy with the outcome,
you could probably search his posts if you wanted to confirm,

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
This guy said to use specific fiberglass at about $2k a roll. Since my dad was so insistent on preserving the “period correctness” the guy said he would sell my dad what he needed to rebuild the transom at his cost. I have never had rebuild a transom before, it sounds like it’s tearing out the inners and replacing that material and glassing over. Be interesting to see the final outcome. I really wish he would have rebuilt his Duo Mystry 17, that’s the true diamond in the rough.
1703267310341.png

Last edited: