• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

oil change price

danielcasey01

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Everyone--
I have a 2008 SX 230 HO and just had the boat winterized. They told me they fogged the engines and changed the oil in both engines. Charge was over $900 ($450 was the oil change). Did I get t

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you got something,

you paid for the convenience of not doing it,

2 jugs of oil, 2 filters and some fogging spray, maybe $100, (plus the vacuum pump which I hope would be used multiple times and doesn't have to be factored into the cost)

about 2 hours of your time,

If anyone in North Texas needs their oil changed and engine fogged, I'm available for $900.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
you got something,

you paid for the convenience of not doing it,

2 jugs of oil, 2 filters and some fogging spray, maybe $100, (plus the vacuum pump which I hope would be used multiple times and doesn't have to be factored into the cost)

about 2 hours of your time,

If anyone in North Texas needs their oil changed and engine fogged, I'm available for $900.
Dude, same! Central NC.....Shoot......I'll cut folks a deal and do it for $600. LOL! I can't imagine making $400+ an hour. I'd quit my day job if I could change the oil and squirt some fluid down some cylinder holes all day for $900 a pop.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dealer overhead and lifestyle. And these boats break so infrequently, I really don't know how they stay in business...oh wait, they charge $700 an hour for oil change labor, I guess they don't need to bill many hours to stay afloat.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don’t think you got taken or ripped off, that’s the going rate to have a dealer change your oil and such. It takes a lot to keep a business open and make some money.

As @Scottintexas stated you can do the work yourself for considerably less! There a lot of threads on this site about winterizing and oil changes. Besides the oil extractor you’ll want to get a shop manual which will more than likely help you with other maintenance / repairs you can do yourself.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
For comparison my motorcycle oil change is $400, everything is really expensive now lol. Just like my boat I never take mine to the dealer unless its warranty work.