• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

OK WTF?

Powts70

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
New member. What a great forum you have here. I live in Vancouver BC, Canada, Pacific waters. I've been researching all the threads here looking for info on the 255 FSH and jet propulsion in general. I think I'm sold on the Yami but man am I getting crucified from all my boat buddies for even considering it. I don't know anything about jets but have been boating for a good portion of my life on ski boats (Mastercraft, Centurion, etc), and my social circle has mostly nice crossover boats (Whalers, Pursuits, Grady White's). I'm not a diehard fisherman but love to fish when I can. I've got 2 small kids (and friends) that want to get out and have fun and explore the waters here so I'm looking for a do-it-all boat and feel this is the one. Like every boat there are compromises - I feel this one may be the jets and ride quality in our waters here. Other than that it looks like it fits the bill.

My question - should I be looking at something different or is this the one? Can anyone comment on this boat in the waters in this area? The most common comment - look out for the flotsam and it will beat the shit out of you in our waters - it will f' everything up. I feel that's a bit inflammatory. Open to suggestions!

Cheers.

Hello and :Welcome:

Never boated off in the Pacific (I so far am strictly an inland lake guy). But I can offer you these hints:
1) You would probably be well-served with trim tabs if you go with a jet. Helps tremendously on that ride quality.
2) I agree with you as to the do-it-all quality of these boats. You can find better ski boats, better wake boats, better fishing boats, etc. But I think the Yamaha's particularly excel at all-around, convenience, safety and maintainability.
3) The hulls on the Yamahas are not very deep v's. Thus the nice high speed (as most of the hull is out of the water on plane). Thus the bumpy ride in rougher waters. So I consider it mostly a lake boat. We do have lots of folks who take theirs in the Gulf and oceans. But I would be very surprised to find if any would take it out in 2+ foot waves (and be happy about it). See point 1.
4) We do have many folks who boat in salt with these. Very doable, but it does require flushing, rinsing, etc. Many here can give you more details on that than can I.

Good to have you here!

Here’s my 2 cents for what’s it’s worth. I come from a history of almost every type of boat. I recently sold my Yamaha 212X in favor of a Malibu. I absolutely loved my Yamaha and would recommend it still as one of the best all around family boats out there. I personally was looking to get into a more purpose built boat for wake type sports and got tired of all the work involved in “making” the Yamaha “work” for wake sports. So my advice would be if you are looking for a great all around family boat with a best in industry swim deck in back, and bullet proof reliability, go for the Yamaha. If you are on the other hand looking for a purpose built boat for wake sports/skiing/barefooting, then there are better options. Don’t get me wrong, the Yamaha will allow you to do those things too, it just isn’t very good at it. We absolutely love our new Malibu but there are definitely things My family misses about the Yamaha and would definitely recommend it per the reasoning above.

We absolutely love our new Malibu but there are definitely things My family misses about the Yamaha and would definitely recommend it per the reasoning above.
I don't want to derail the original point of this thread too much, but I would love to hear what are the things your family misses about the Yamaha now that you've switched over to the Malibu. I've sometimes wondered if we might switch over to a wake boat in the future, so it'd be nice to know in advance what we might miss about our Yamaha. Thanks!

I don't want to derail the original point of this thread too much, but I would love to hear what are the things your family misses about the Yamaha now that you've switched over to the Malibu. I've sometimes wondered if we might switch over to a wake boat in the future, so it'd be nice to know in advance what we might miss about our Yamaha. Thanks!

Just quickly off the top of my head I'd say there are 3 main features we miss:
1. Back swim deck, we miss that "back patio" when lounging on the water
2. Maneuverability, I've had all type of boats/propulsion, the twin jet boat has been the most maneuverable boat by far (albeit did take a bit to get used to at first)
3. Ease of maintenance and winterization

Theres also a video of a 21fsh in rough waters somewhsre in this forum but that hull is differe t from the 250. Now do you really want to go into those conditions knowingly? Probably not.

The 250's series boat hulls are completly different
I did fl to Bimini in my 252 with 4 fotter
People have done the Bimini run in 19 footers and jetskis.

I don't think the hull is that much different - same shape, same 20 degree deadrise, same bow angle. However it is heavier which makes it handle rough water better. The lifting strakes might be softer too - something they modified in the 21 footers to smooth out the ride a bit. Inertial interactions change a lot with mass. Off-shore consoles weight 10,000+ lbs with 22-24 degree deadrise which is why they slice though waves that would toss our boats around like toys.
:oops:

New member. What a great forum you have here. I live in Vancouver BC, Canada, Pacific waters. I've been researching all the threads here looking for info on the 255 FSH and jet propulsion in general. I think I'm sold on the Yami but man am I getting crucified from all my boat buddies for even considering it. I don't know anything about jets but have been boating for a good portion of my life on ski boats (Mastercraft, Centurion, etc), and my social circle has mostly nice crossover boats (Whalers, Pursuits, Grady White's). I'm not a diehard fisherman but love to fish when I can. I've got 2 small kids (and friends) that want to get out and have fun and explore the waters here so I'm looking for a do-it-all boat and feel this is the one. Like every boat there are compromises - I feel this one may be the jets and ride quality in our waters here. Other than that it looks like it fits the bill.

My question - should I be looking at something different or is this the one? Can anyone comment on this boat in the waters in this area? The most common comment - look out for the flotsam and it will beat the shit out of you in our waters - it will f' everything up. I feel that's a bit inflammatory. Open to suggestions!

Cheers.

So, if you have been looking at the threads here then I assume you have read through the 252 FSH Sport and 255 FSH sport E threads? If so, you have seen that some of the folks who have them have been out in some 4’ + seas and say that the 252/255 FSH hull, which is specifically designed to be an off shore boat, is working well for them.

There was a thread over at The Hull Truth, which in this thread was anything but the truth, where these guys who knew nothing and I mean nothing about jet boats were tossing around all kinds of falsehoods about the FSH series of jet boats. The exception there was a few guys who had actually been on these boats and those people had nothing but good things to say about them. The FSH boats are different from your GW’s, Whalers, Pursuits etc.. and most people fear different.

There is another member here who was recently going through a similar situation as you. His location is different but he could face some big water himself on the Great Lakes. Here is his thread, my response is post #13 in that thread.

As one of the members stated above about what his family misses about their Yamaha is the swim deck. As a fisherman I can tell you the swim deck is awesome for landing fish, as a person who likes to go swimming and tow people around the swim deck is awesome. Most people think FSH stands for fish, it dose not, it stands for Family Sport Hybrid.

Have you scheduled a test drive on one of these FSH boats yet? I have had quite a few people on my boat who were only familiar with outboard or I/O powered boats and were skeptical of my little jet drive boat, by the end of the day they were blown away be the performance and fishability of my boat, and the 25’ versions just have more of that good stuff.

You said you are in pacific waters.. that is a bit open ended as it is not clear how far you go offshore, but, it sounds like you are more of a closer to shore guy as you don’t fish a lot, but maybe you will. Anyway, the Yamaha is no Grady White, Boston Whaler etc… those are big boats with some heavy off shore use in mind, and they are awesome boats to be sure, But chances are you will pay close to an additional $100,000 USD for that awesomeness, depending on how you outfit your boat. The best band for your buck really is the Yamaha. While I love my 210 FSH sport, I do like the 252 FSH sport over the 255 FSH sport E, the reason for that is the analogue drive of the 252, and better mpg. The 255 is a beast and will go about 8-10 mph faster than the 252, but it uses a lot of fuel to do that. But even the 255 will get comparable if not better mpg than a twin outboard powered CC. No one has done a test yet on the 252 so all that is available are the boating magazine test and the boat test.com of the 255.

So your friends who are excoriating you, do they have any actual modern day jet boat experience? If not than what they say could very well be here-say not unlike that which was seen on the hull truth site, some of the stuff that was said over there was laughable to say the least. The modern day jet boats are the chevy big block powered Berkeley jets of the 1970’s.

Thanks for all the replies and helpful hints. As expected there's a boat load of experience here (pun intended). At the end of the day i was hopeful that the general feedback here would be cautiously optimistic given the scenario I laid out. We live in Vancouver BC and most of our fishing here is just off the coast - maybe 3-5 miles. Lots of inter-island hopping and traversing where the swells can really kick up if the wind/currents change. I've got a 2 small kids and a nervous wife so wanted the size, the amenities and the power to knuckle down if needed. Most of the time (60-70%), this will just be our taxi to get to somewhere to drop an anchor and float, break out the paddleboards, have some drinks etc. And those of you with boats know the minute you bring one home, you somehow gain 15 friends that want to fish so I'm hoping to cover those bases with the boat....which sounds like I'll be able to do. Now I just have to find one. Super scarce up this way. Anyone know of any dealers close to me you'd recommend?! Anyway, thanks again to all that have chimed in - much appreciated.

And those of you with boats know the minute you bring one home, you somehow gain 15 friends
I don't tell anyone except my close friends I have a boat. Same rule applies to owning a pickup - you become a mover.
:D

People have done the Bimini run in 19 footers and jetskis.

I don't think the hull is that much different - same shape, same 20 degree deadrise, same bow angle. However it is heavier which makes it handle rough water better. The lifting strakes might be softer too - something they modified in the 21 footers to smooth out the ride a bit. Inertial interactions change a lot with mass. Off-shore consoles weight 10,000+ lbs with 22-24 degree deadrise which is why they slice though waves that would toss our boats around like toys.
:oops:
I had the 2019 242lse now the 252se , i can tell you its different its also my third yamaha

Back