• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

One picture of your last outing.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Got my Public Vessel license this spring, and one of my "retired guy" activities is piloting boat tours of a section of the Erie Canal. This two-mile section has a restored and fully functioning aqueduct we go over. We toured a few thousand second graders the last six weeks (Erie Canal is in the 4th grade curriculum), and now we'll do public tours two days a week through the summer. This class was belting out a solid version of Low Bridge, Everybody Down this morning...

View attachment 221772
That is awesome! How do you obtain a “Public vessel license”? Anything like a 6-pack as far as requirements?

Last edited:

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Very nice day for a cruise yesterday. Water was as smooth as could be.

IMG_4661.jpeg

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That is awesome! How do you obtain a “Public vessel license”? Anything like a 6-pack as far as requirements?
A 6-pack, stunning good looks, and a razor sharp wit are the automatic qualifiers. Lacking those, I had to take an approved NYS boater safety course, perform 30+ hours of practical operation of boats comparable to the tour boats we use (25' to 35' traditional hull and pontoon boats with passenger capacities up to 30) and pass the NYS Public Vessel Operator License test. A little more robust than standard boater safety requirements, but pretty solid knowledge for any boater. The 100 page study guide is linked below, and the test covers pretty much everything in that guide.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A 6-pack, stunning good looks, and a razor sharp wit are the automatic qualifiers. Lacking those, I had to take an approved NYS boater safety course, perform 30+ hours of practical operation of boats comparable to the tour boats we use (25' to 35' traditional hull and pontoon boats with passenger capacities up to 30) and pass the NYS Public Vessel Operator License test. A little more robust than standard boater safety requirements, but pretty solid knowledge for any boater. The 100 page study guide is linked below, and the test covers pretty much everything in that guide.

I just spit my beer, laughing at your first sentence +. Otherwise, Love that.

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMG_5678.jpeg
IMG_5680.jpeg

Decided to brave the high winds today, and got on the lake early when the wind was around 10mph. Our oldest wanted to tube since we don’t trust tubing on LOTO. Getting off the lake was dicy in the late afternoon, trailered against a sustained 20-25mph crosswind, did just fine though. Everyone took a nap on the way home (how most trips go lol), so I’d say it was a good day!

RNYCLV

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Emptytemples

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Franco!

Would love to run that with you one day! The ramp was very easy, water was calm and was a fun ride. If we put in South of there, we could do a bit better on fuel. It is a lot of running. I used about 50% fuel and my top speed for the day may have been 32mph with 4 adults and 2 kids. . . There is a cove that everyone rafts up at- Tullytown Cove and there is a sandbar that everyone anchors at just north of this ramp at lower tides. I'd like to get to the C&D canal but may have to wait until the kids get a little older and drop in South of there. I don't think my 2 year old is quite ready for that yet. She's still in the unhunged phase and thinks she can constantly drive the boat, walk around while underway and just drop snacks in every crevice that our boats have. . . But shes cute so I keep her.

And yes, boat back from Quakertown, steering cable replaced under warranty. I asked the service rep if he's seen much of that. I couldn't believe after one year that a cable was getting stiff. He said they don't last forever!!! Ok well I'd like to get more than a year out of it. I asked if lubricating the cable would help during winterization and he added that lube would attract dirt and particles to cause more issues. I don't necessarily agree with him on this since it is a closed cable but nonetheless. I may have a chance to opt in for YES warranty which i'm still contemplating at like $2700 for 3 years. IDK. I'm never into extended warranties but time is precious these days.

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hey Franco!

Would love to run that with you one day! The ramp was very easy, water was calm and was a fun ride. If we put in South of there, we could do a bit better on fuel. It is a lot of running. I used about 50% fuel and my top speed for the day may have been 32mph with 4 adults and 2 kids. . . There is a cove that everyone rafts up at- Tullytown Cove and there is a sandbar that everyone anchors at just north of this ramp at lower tides. I'd like to get to the C&D canal but may have to wait until the kids get a little older and drop in South of there. I don't think my 2 year old is quite ready for that yet. She's still in the unhunged phase and thinks she can constantly drive the boat, walk around while underway and just drop snacks in every crevice that our boats have. . . But shes cute so I keep her.

And yes, boat back from Quakertown, steering cable replaced under warranty. I asked the service rep if he's seen much of that. I couldn't believe after one year that a cable was getting stiff. He said they don't last forever!!! Ok well I'd like to get more than a year out of it. I asked if lubricating the cable would help during winterization and he added that lube would attract dirt and particles to cause more issues. I don't necessarily agree with him on this since it is a closed cable but nonetheless. I may have a chance to opt in for YES warranty which i'm still contemplating at like $2700 for 3 years. IDK. I'm never into extended warranties but time is precious these days.
Next time you are on the Delaware make sure you head up the Schuylkill. Great views of the city.

1718808771274.png

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Awesome, I will do that. How far up can you go from the mouth of the river into the Delaware?
All the way to Water Works behind the Art Museum. We have anchored there a few times for lunch and drinks. The dam near boat house row is the limit.

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lake Cushman. When summer finally hits there is no prettier boating than in Washington.IMG_1338.jpegIMG_1332.jpegIMG_1339.jpeg

Last edited:

RNYCLV

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Emptytemples @Stealth If you guys can give me like a weeks notice before next trip I can get the boat out of Ironwood and home. I would love to get a group from the club to come down and take this trip. Especially if we can hit the Water Works, my wife and I were supposed to get married there. I love Kelly Drive Park, Fairmount Park and the PMA. I lived on Spring Garden and N34th for years. Would love to anchor out there and snag some lunch.

RNYCLV

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 222006

Aluminum can took us down on Sunday
I am so sorry to hear this, we do clean ups on the islands and the public spaces as much as possible. Not all of the privately owned marinas will let us in to clean. This sucks, we are there every weekend at Ironwood, the camper and boat, If you want send a message ill shoot you some of our cell numbers just in case, we will always come out and help

mjs5128

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I am so sorry to hear this, we do clean ups on the islands and the public spaces as much as possible. Not all of the privately owned marinas will let us in to clean. This sucks, we are there every weekend at Ironwood, the camper and boat, If you want send a message ill shoot you some of our cell numbers just in case, we will always come out and help
I appreciate it! It’s our main place we go to every summer. I’ll shoot you a message