• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

One picture of your last outing.

Sly J

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you I appreciate your feedback I would also like to point out that the part was designed to be sacrificial if it is involved in a serious impact as demonstrated in both your mishap and the previous one that I referenced.
They reacted to the impact as they were designed to do . All my steering systems were designed for that either by spring loaded fine or by brackets that will give if they are impacted severely enough like the Magnum A K systems or the Ultimate systems so this is no different .
NOW wouldn't it be nice if Yamaha gave you a fix or replace warranty on your hull also even if you struck a submerged object.
So one more question How did you like the handling in reverse ? I am told the steering influence is a huge improvement over the stock setup.
Remember I enhanced the reverse control but in no way did I change it's intended tracking response to the wheel.
It will respond better and even slow your boats forward momentum better and steer all at the same time and provide power steering .
I would love to see your video since I am not all that good at making those .
Actually anyone with the VIPER installed who would care to submit their own videos of the handling of their boat using any of the three viper systems or even the Magnum A K or my ULTIMATE system please feel free to do so. I already have one that was posted of the 19 foot traveling in a straight line with no on at the helm while idling in no wake mode.
Some other suggestions would be using the steering in rough conditions or in off power steering from wide open to neutral and then turning the wheel to turn the boat. I believe just showing that the boat won't go into a turn or spin on it's own when decelerating rapidly would be helpful.
Another would be allowing a novice to operate the boat and show how the learning curve is basically gone compared to a stock boat, operating during watersports would be another area that I am sure people would love to see. There are a lot of different posts and threads about the VIPER if you just punch in VIPER in a search.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/viper-cobra-jet-steering.14912/
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Reverse is so much more responsive now. I am a novice and my confidence is much higher since installing the Viper as well as my wife's. We both are new to this. I will upload the video tonight once I get back in town. My buddy was impressed with the handling. Even with a damaged Viper plate it still handled pretty well believe it or not.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you, yes I do believe it, if you look at the other one that hit the rock wall and read that he was able to drive his boat back quite a long distance even with the heavy damage to the fins I certainly have no doubt you could also operate your boat with the fins bent.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@bronze_10

It happened near the first set of danger bouys up from wildlife ramp 12. I was near the right of the second bouy and got caught on a submerged stump or log, not sure. Just started using Falls so maybe its a known hazard by those of you who use the lake frequently.

Side note...I just signed up for yearly ramp use at the Core Creek Marina Ramp. It's a private ramp out of the current on the ICW with a few daily slips. Read on here where a group cruised through Adam's Creek this weekend. It's $10 bucks a day.
Do you have a wider view of where you hit the stump? It's hard to tell where you are from your map. And regarding the Adams creek trip, that was me, @bronze_10, @Eric Ballard, and @Neutron. Had a blast!! We got a big community here in Raleigh. Keep an eye out for get togethers as we get them. You're always welcome at all of them!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That group was me, andyd, eric, and neutron... we put in way back in new bern. It was a great run. We had such a fun time. This may be our annual fall boat trip. But this coming summer we want to do it again so we can get out at the light house..

Last edited:

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also @Sly J, the water level in Falls has been lower than normal the past few weeks so it may have brought about more hazards than normal.

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about this ... glad that you'll have her fixed up soon. Took our boat out for the 1st time by ourselves on Falls a couple weeks ago and I found myself glancing at the depth meter a lot.

@bronze_10 It happened near the first set of danger bouys up from wildlife ramp 12. I was near the right of the second bouy and got caught on a submerged stump or log, not sure. Just started using Falls so maybe its a known hazard by those of you who use the lake frequently.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Gee I thought dealing with severely fluctuating tides was a problem , I learned to recognize the different objects near where I boat to know if it is safe or not to go out of the channels however we had the very strong tides from the storm and it changes a lot of sand bars on us and I found one of those a week ago, I knew I was in trouble when I noticed a few very small birds standing in front of me where the end of the channel had been just a few days earlier. I flew over the handlebars slammed my knee into the throttle controls and ripped my camera mount clear off the front of my ski. Then I had no one around to help so I spend 45 minutes digging out my ski using a sea shell and my hands to angle the hull to capture the water flowing past it so I could dig along side the hull to move the thing one inch at a time. When I got back to the nursing home they told me First I am way too old to be doing these things and two I was lucky I did not break a few bones or slice an artery being out all alone with no one around and three I can't use my ski any more unless I bring along some hot nurses, well that was the story I told my girlfriend anyway.

Sly J

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
falls lake has a few spots you want to stay away from... way up on the north end of the largest section of the lake is a hidden tree forest... Just north of ledge rock boat ramp. In the middle of the large section there are two markers that mark a shallow spot where i think an old dam use to be. the entrance to the large section of the lake near rolling view marina has a long shallow sand finger that sticks out from the east side. swing wide.. there is a marker. same with going toward the damn from the hwy 50 boat ramp.. swing wide.... etc etc... once you get down to the barton creek ramp area of the lake its pretty wide open and the deepest it gets. it takes time.. falls lake is a pretty lake but it twists and winds a lot.

Sly J

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
falls lake has a few spots you want to stay away from... way up on the north end of the largest section of the lake is a hidden tree forest... Just north of ledge rock boat ramp. In the middle of the large section there are two markers that mark a shallow spot where i think an old dam use to be. the entrance to the large section of the lake near rolling view marina has a long shallow sand finger that sticks out from the east side. swing wide.. there is a marker. same with going toward the damn from the hwy 50 boat ramp.. swing wide.... etc etc... once you get down to the barton creek ramp area of the lake its pretty wide open and the deepest it gets. it takes time.. falls lake is a pretty lake but it twists and winds a lot.
@bronze_10

Thx for the info!

There is a lot of good info for new boaters on here.

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Falls Lake was my last not so good outing...:(
I was out at Falls this last weekend tightening up the boat and getting ready for winterizing. Was talking to the guys at the marina and they said the water is as low as they have ever seen it. I don't doubt that additional dangers are present. Good luck with the repair!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For that matter kerr lake is many feet low.. i dont knwo if u can even launch. We didnt get much in the way of tropical precipitation this year. That normally tops off the lakes leading into winter.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2 days in the high 70 here in North Georgia. Day on the water pulling off the swim deck stock stuff and prepping for the sea dek install. This is the latest I've ever been in the lake.Guess that's another advantage of keeping the boat in the water. Now for the clean up ...but wait..beer first!20171104_142542.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Captain Kate running tests of RIVA/Maptuner X reflashes.
And... liking it!
upload_2017-11-4_20-42-20.png

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Evening run on Allattoona with the wife and VSD (very small dog) Friday night.
Moonrise was fantastic, lake so calm and quiet.
Crappy IPhone photo doesn't do it justice.
IMG_1878.JPG

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Posting from the lake. Love the fall!

veedubtek