• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Operating fuel transfer pump using lift battery or boat battery (calling all electrical geeks)

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Bought a fuel transfer pump to make it easier to refuel the boat from 5 gallon cans. Works great, but I'd rather not burn through a ton of AA batteries. Any idea if there's a way to pull power from my lift battery to replace the power from four AA batteries (without frying the little pump electronics)?

The unit I'm using is...

the only thing that comes to mind is use rechargeable batteries. But you'll probably need at least 8 if not 12

According to the Amazon page it can run two AA batteries in an emergency and four is recommended. To me that says it runs on 6 volts preferably but dan run on 3 volts DC. If it listed either watts or amps I could figure out the other.

My portable live well runs on two D batteries or I can plug in a cigareete lighter adapter and it has a male plug that goes into the aerator. When male adapter plugs in it interrupts the batteries and just runs on the cigareete cord. Obviously there is a resistor in the 12v plug to drop the voltage to approximately 3-5 volts. It would take a bit of McGivering but you could probably come up with a 12V cord that would run the pump.

Or do as @Dave burke suggests and get rechargeable batteries.

Rechargeables are definitely the answer for someone mature and competent enough to manage them. But somehow, in spite of all the other complexities and challenges I’ve managed throughout my life, I’ve always failed at managing rechargeable batteries (with the exception of my camera!), so i try to avoid batteries completely when possible. A man’s got to know his limitations.

But that step down power converter looks like a real possibility. I’ll report back on my success or failure…

And thanks for the input!

Back