• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Overkill or excellent idea...

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everyone,

I've been overthinking things again and could use some input.

New boat on the way. It'll be going through a break in process that calls for some fresh oil at I believe the 10 hour mark and then again shortly there after.

Would this Break-In Oil from AMSOIL be advisable at any stage of the Yamaha break in process?

My initial idea was to use this in place of the oil installed at the factory for the 10 hour duration to get to the first recommended oil change.

Here's a (LINK) to the product page.

AMSOIL Break-In Oil.jpg

Wrong weight per recommendations from Yamaha. I trusted Yamaha to build a quality engine, and I equally trust them on the best oil to use. I kept my first Yamaha 1.8 almost 10 years and it never consumed oil nor required a repair, and I just changed the oil at the 10-hour mark and then once every year using Yamaha 4W and their OEM filter.

Tyguy above is correct, I'm on 4 yrs with 2017 SX190 and over 170 days on the water. Follow Yamaha's recommended oil/filter and procedures ESPECIALLY if you are under Warranty or the YES Warranty.

@Tyguy, @fatboyroy, @HawaiiBreeze ,

I fully agree, and plan on sticking with the Yamaha plan through Break In for sure. Just got caught up in a severe case of "Oooh, look, new and shiny" when it came to that oil. I'm rather prone to that kind of thinking which is why I'm damn glad to have found you all and JetBoaters.Net.

Thank you for helping to keep me from doing stupid things. :cool:

King

Roger that. Been guilty of doing some dumb things too. (don't ask me about my "anchor-mod"!!)

Hey everyone,

I've been overthinking things again and could use some input.

New boat on the way. It'll be going through a break in process that calls for some fresh oil at I believe the 10 hour mark and then again shortly there after.

Would this Break-In Oil from AMSOIL be advisable at any stage of the Yamaha break in process?

My initial idea was to use this in place of the oil installed at the factory for the 10 hour duration to get to the first recommended oil change.

Here's a (LINK) to the product page.

View attachment 166887
When and if the dealer does the 10 hour service and they see that oil, bye bye engine warranty. I vote Hell No!

Unless you say otherwise the dealer will fill it with yamalube and a Yamaha labeled oil filter as part of the setup fee. I’d rather ask them to fill the tank than ask them to put oil I supply in instead.

While following the Yamaha break in guide, don’t just set the engine speed and leave it there until the time at a given rpm expires. Modulate the engine rpm up and down every few minutes during the break in process to help seat the rings.

Amsoil is an overkill just break her in with normal Yamaha oil and like all the above suggestions of following the 10 hr procedures. She will be just fine with normal stuff and your wallet will be heaver also.

Back