• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Port Engine Ticking

weaselman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A little late to boating season but spent the weekend getting her ready.

When I fired up the engines for the first time since winter I noticed that the port engine is making a ticking sound at idle. When you rev the engine the noise goes away. Should I be concerned?

I have provided a link of the video to my OneDrive.

I don't think I would pay attention to noises when running on a hose. Put it in the water and see if it doesn't disappear. My bote made all kind of noises on the house, more of a rattling than ticking but much more noise than when in water.

When I fired up the engines for the first time since winter I noticed that the port engine is making a ticking sound at idle. When you rev the engine the noise goes away. Should I be concerned?

Your impeller is rubbing on the wear ring… look up in there closely and you will see where it is rubbing, probably on one spot as I think your year has the old style wear rings and one spot in particular will get corrosion behind it and push inwards. Sorry for the bad news..

Do you run in salt water?

Yes, only run in saltwater. I flush the engines religiously when I get home.

Yes, only run in saltwater. I flush the engines religiously when I get home.

Okay… the salt water gets in behind the wear ring and corrodes and pushes the one spot out… @Cobra Jet Steering LLC pulled one of these apart some time back and fixed it…

This guy confirmed his pump housing was swelling, causing the impeller to hit the housing in a spot.

Any progress?

I learned a while back not to listen too intently to all the ticks and clicks when first starting the boat up on the trailer with the hatch open...sounds like a few time bombs ticking away. Let it settle down, get the oil flowing, get up to operating temps then start to listen and feel for anything amiss.

Back