• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Portable Electric Winch

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like some others am getting to old to put the boat in and out of the water by myself. So I am looking to install an electric winch but what would be even better would be a portable winch that I did not have to be attach but would pull the boat onto the trailer so I could latch to the hand winch already installed. If this is not doable then I would appreciate suggestions on a good electric winch that would not brake the bank and easy to install. my boat is a 2011 21ft long Yamaha.

Thank you

What is your tow vehicle?

If you have the fifth wheel hitch pucks in your bed you should be able to make a mount for a winch there. If you do not have the fifth wheel hitch mount you should be able to make a mount in the bed but it should be attached to the frame.

Consider putting an electric winch to replace the hand winch and run some cables from your batteries back to the back to power it Pollack makes a single pin that is rated at 250 amps. If you need help finding that stuff let me know and I’ll go dig it up for you.

This doesn't work for every situation, but take a look at this latching mechanism for your boat trailer. Boat2Trailer Latch by Ramp N Clamp
If you boat in a lake where the ramps are fairly consistent, and can power on the trailer a little it may work.

I carry a portable Warn Electric Winch on my snowmobile at times that will connect to the battery. An ATV winch like this could be portable and not very expensive. You might even be able to remove the hand-winch and install this in its place.

The downside is that it can draw a lot of amps so you couldn't tap into the 7-pin trailer connector for a quick and dirty power supply. The wiring to the 7-pin connector is only ~14AWG and not enough for the high current draw. You would either need to create a long enough extension cord of the right gauge wire and clip onto your battery or run permanent wiring under the truck to the back with a quick disconnect connector.

Last edited:
Following along as I would like to do something similar for my ATV trailer. ?

Jim

I was wrong it’s not 250 amps continuous it’s 300 amps continuous. The ground is through the exterior of the plug into the socket.

Here’s the plug

830E05D4-D719-41A4-813D-5C1F30DA46D0.png

Heres the socket.

26BA919F-1AC6-4639-A7D9-469428626264.jpeg

Here’s the bracket for the socket.

9D9655D4-0762-4116-BC4F-A3D41AFB3A79.jpeg

Here’s the spring to support the cable.

392C559D-B987-483B-9550-01F4DA7EECD7.png

Here’s the rubber boot seal for the rear of the plug.

3D317CD4-AACF-4C80-9ECC-4CCF9441C9E6.jpeg

I was, and at some point will set up a 10-12,000 pound portable winch that goes into the receiver / hitch of my truck and I will use this plug and pin set up front and rear, rear because you may not want to winch forward, much more burly than the plastic ones I’ve seen. And I want to make up a set of jumper cables that will use this same plug, no messing around with trying to clamp onto the battery of my truck.

I intend on using one of my upfitter switches to close a relay that will energize both front and rear plugs so they’re not energized all the time.

Last edited:
I like some others am getting to old to put the boat in and out of the water by myself. So I am looking to install an electric winch but what would be even better would be a portable winch that I did not have to be attach but would pull the boat onto the trailer so I could latch to the hand winch already installed. If this is not doable then I would appreciate suggestions on a good electric winch that would not brake the bank and easy to install. my boat is a 2011 21ft long Yamaha.

Thank you

This is what I use on my SXS trailer when one is inop. The large hole will go over a ball of a hitch. With a trailer connected IDK.
IMG_0657.jpegIMG_0656.jpegIMG_0655.jpegIMG_0654.jpeg

2000 lb. Marine Electric Winch (harborfreight.com)

Last edited:
I’m wondering if instead of running a new wiring to the battery, one could use a smaller (Motorsport) battery instead?

IMG_8912.jpg

Jim

First thank you for your ideas

What I currently have on the trailer is the Profile 2000. After looking at it I do not think it would be too difficult to remove and replace with a new electric winch. I would need to add a baseplate to attach it. I suppose I could run wires directly to the truck battery or connect to one of plugs on the truck. Any recommendations are again appreciated.

IMG_2871.jpegIMG_2873.jpeg

Last edited:
First thank you for your ideas

What I currently have on the trailer is the Profile 2000. After looking at it I do not think it would be too difficult to remove and replace with a new electric winch. I would need to add a baseplate to attach it. I suppose I could run wires directly to the truck battery or connect to one of plugs on the truck. Any recommendations are again appreciated.

View attachment 209972View attachment 209974

Probably the simplest set up would be to put a small battery on the trailer to support the winch mounted on the trailer. You could run a charging wire from the 7 pin plug to help keep it topped off when trailering, but simply putting it on a charger when the boat is parked would be the way to go. And I’d use a lithium battery on the boat trailer for the winch, super simple and it will stay charged for a long time without the self discharge rate of a lead acid, and you will get way more amp hours out of a similar sized Lithium battery compared to a lead acid.

I thought I give an update on my quest to add an electric motor to my Shoreland'r trailer. After a significant amount of research I have come to the conclusion that without spending a lot of money it is not feasible do. This is because of the way they mount the winch on the trailer. It would basically require me to replace the current configuration to include removing and replacing not only the winch but the competition stand it is on.

So that said if anyone has added an electric to their Shoreland'r and would like to share how they did it I would greatly appreciate.

I thought I give an update on my quest to add an electric motor to my Shoreland'r trailer. After a significant amount of research I have come to the conclusion that without spending a lot of money it is not feasible do. This is because of the way they mount the winch on the trailer. It would basically require me to replace the current configuration to include removing and replacing not only the winch but the competition stand it is on.

So that said if anyone has added an electric to their Shoreland'r and would like to share how they did it I would greatly appreciate.

This is not an electric solution, you could make the winch handle longer to give greater leverage to make winching easier in the meantime.

And yes, anything electric is going to cost money.

This one has a remote as well.

BUT! If this expenditure gets you out on the water more often then it is a worthwhile investment!

Last edited:
Back