• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible lawsuit against Scarab/Glastron/RBH

Adrian Noble

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So this just happened yesterday. 15 min in fresh water, felt like i sucked something up. nothing in the grate but cavitation with any throttle.
tried to limp it back to the dock.. but after about 3 min resonator box melts.. see pic. Towed back and took directly to the shop. Only 35 hr use.

Attachments

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So this just happened yesterday. 15 min in fresh water, felt like i sucked something up. nothing in the grate but cavitation with any throttle.
tried to limp it back to the dock.. but after about 3 min resonator box melts.. see pic. Towed back and took directly to the shop. Only 35 hr use.

Same happened to me on my first Bimini attempt my Sea-Doo. Something clogged your cooling channel. Bad luck never had any other issues

Dan McFarlane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Dan McFarlane
2017 255 Impulse HO
Less than 8 eight hours

When I took delivery the boat already had 7 hours. The first voyage out the port side motor was cavitating on take off. I sucked nothing up and can find no reason for the issue. The boat has been with the dealer for over 3 weeks now. They are working with BRP and Scarab but as of right now no solution. I am going to Bull Shoals this weekend and will be taking the boat. Hopefully the cavitation issue is resolved.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Russ Chambers
195 HO impulse
2015 65 Engine hours
Russchambers@comcast.net

This will be 3rd summer. Lost two months last summer and right off the start this summer 8 weeks for Engine replacement

My Scarab 195 Ho impulse, 2015 65 hours It worked fine for the first MI summer. Than the second summer happened. 1) I was out in Lake Michigan when the pilots chair fell off. 500 bucks 2) out in Lake Lansing I lost thrust thought I suck something up but nothing in the intake. Limped back into the launch took it to the marina. They stayed it was a issue with the impeller 2,500 bucks later and lost 2 months of 2nt summer. 3) last week out in lake Lansing with family and Lost thrust again, this time the boat was filling up with water where the Driveshaft comes into the Engine compartment Faster than the bilge pump could pump out luckily there was one jatskier here in the Lake able to get us to lunch before we sink And the best part is, needs a new Engine and the marina is telling me two months if I’m lucky. So I’ve been paying on a boat loan all these year and I won’t be able to have are boat for most of this summer I am so mad and it seems The marina and scarab don’t even care.

Best
Russ
Do you need a new engine because there was enough water in the engine compartment to flood the engine, or when you towed the boat into the marina you didn't pinch the hoses and were being pulled at a fast enough speed to get some water in the engine? Or is there just something faulty in the engine?

AARON RUSSICK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looking at all the comments - I've had most of these issues in my 2016 255 Scarab. With no specifics related to the "time stamp" in hours of running, we have less than 130 hrs on the motors currently:
  • snaps on canvas gone (from delivery)
  • canvas and poles not factory grade new
  • thrust steering linkage came apart
  • light pole recepticol broken at delivery
  • trailer is a P.O.S. with pins that dont properly register in appropriate holes for backup surge brake...etc.
  • trailer plug and connector I had to buy and wire myself
  • guides on trailer don't "guide" boat sits on narrow "V" profile with quite a range of of "roll" which is a bitch at the dock when things are busy
  • stereo loose connector, never worked until I replaced the unit & soldered connector (Sony unit discontinued)
  • starboard side speakers (both) had loose connectors...what are the odds of both speakers having loose connectors
  • dual engine boat on one battery (I added at my cost second battery) with switch from West Marine
  • head compartment empty - (dealer added a $59 head that is not connected to the pump out port on the side of the boat). Nice...
  • sucked up ropes 2X...no way to recover from any sort of mishap...back flushing, manual (without risking drowning etc) debris removal etc.
  • current pain in the butt = exhaust temp alarm
  • local service (and I'm in the state where they are manufactured) is not good / knowledgeable / helpful
  • paid good money for a boat that made me feel save for pulling kids (no props). Looking back, I'd rather have had to deal with the props and know I am in a seaworthy vessel. This damn boat (as much as I love it) stresses me out...which defeats the purpose of boating...am I right?

The exhaust temp alarm is the final straw for me. IF I can't fix this tomorrow - I won't be able to take the boat to Torch for the 4th. At that point...what's the point. I love the boat - hate the flaws. Can't charge a premium for a lemon.

I'd really like any feedback on the high temp exhaust alarm. I don't have the best handle on this - my attempts tomorrow will be to flush with air first / water if I can get he hookup rigged...and test.

ScarabHO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
i'm close to buying a 2014 195 HO from a large dealership - should I stay clear ? :(
Yes Our 2014 195ho has been nothing but a headache

ScarabHO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
2014 195 HO Impulse

. Rear swim deck matting replaced once already. Even the new matting is peeling up.
. Two snaps have pulled through on the boat cover.
. Snap has pulled through on floor carpet.
. Exhaust was not connected properly
. Wake tower mounting bolts backed out during travel
. Front trailer tongue braking system has failed 2x
. Bimini Cover zipper have busted off (only maybe 3x)
. Windshield blew out during trailering (rock hit it) But the dealer poorly installed a new one and did not clean all of the glass out of the boat found that out through a bloody foot
. Center walk through shield alignment has been off since new (dealer for some reason can not install a seal to save their lives)
. both captains seats CREAK like crazy they sound so cheap
. Captain chair bolster staples have backed out and cover is about to come off
. interior Side panel on passenger side has ripped away from mounting screws
. Boat cover stains (bleeds) the upper half of the boat. Pain to clean
. Horn stopped working 2x
. stopped measuring depth on the cluster
. Sony radio stopped working and will only sometimes work through aux cord.
. Lost all radio controls on driver and rear of the boat
. bow speaker mounting screws back out of speakers and stripped in the 2 of 4 holes
. Sub woofer cuts out randomly, has back feed through it
. Steering has become extremely stiff

There is much more I am forgetting and we are only at 50 hrs

We have had a Jet Drive replaced, But I will admit was the drivers fault we had sucked up a piece of plastic and it gouged out the wear ring and it caused cavitation

AARON RUSSICK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes Our 2014 195ho has been nothing but a headache
I would recommend serious caution. IF your only taking this boat in "weed free" bodies of water (which very few exist) and you only launch in deep water, you might have some success. Just talked to my boat dealer yesterday...Rotax thru current model year has not addressed the debris issues. I'd print these posts out and have the seller address the concerns before pulling the trigger. I personally am going to sell my boat and buy a dual engine outboard open bow boat. NO out drives, NO jets.

bermaeri

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
103 hours - Under full throttle, loud bang followed by shuddering and loss of power. Engine would not turn over. Bilge pump kicked on and would not turn off, opened engine cover, water already 12" deep in boat and filling fast from what seems like a large hole in rear port side under the engine. No auxiliary pump, no bailing bucket. I began handing out life preservers. We were quickly able to signal for help and was towed to the nearest shoreline. By that time we were all in shin deep water.

From time of incident to time of the full loss of the vessel would have been around 6 minutes had we not been rescued. There is a horrific design flaw in this boat. If this hasn't already cost someone their life, it will in the near future if this is not corrected by Scarab. I cant ever conceive of being able to take this boat offshore even in the calmest of weather. No tow company would be able to respond before the boat would sink.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Let us know what you find out regarding the failure. Thankfully everyone is safe.

ScarabHO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Is this still going on? Boat so far so good this season. Rear deck matting is still coming up. Windshield alignment is still of Wilson Marine is a horrible dealership. It takes so long to get things fixed you'll lose the whole summer.

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is this still going on? Boat so far so good this season. Rear deck matting is still coming up. Windshield alignment is still of Wilson Marine is a horrible dealership. It takes so long to get things fixed you'll lose the whole summer.
103 hours - Under full throttle, loud bang followed by shuddering and loss of power. Engine would not turn over. Bilge pump kicked on and would not turn off, opened engine cover, water already 12" deep in boat and filling fast from what seems like a large hole in rear port side under the engine. No auxiliary pump, no bailing bucket. I began handing out life preservers. We were quickly able to signal for help and was towed to the nearest shoreline. By that time we were all in shin deep water.

From time of incident to time of the full loss of the vessel would have been around 6 minutes had we not been rescued. There is a horrific design flaw in this boat. If this hasn't already cost someone their life, it will in the near future if this is not corrected by Scarab. I cant ever conceive of being able to take this boat offshore even in the calmest of weather. No tow company would be able to respond before the boat would sink.

Would the boat actually sink or swamp and sit partially submerged in the water? I keep a bucket on the boat. That's been enough to keep the boat from swamping because what you describe has happened to me twice and I'm on my 2nd engine, and did a water evac on the 2nd engine once. One time I had to be towed back 20+ miles while bailing water. I take the boat off shore to Catalina every few weeks when the weather is good. I'm on 230 hours almost all in salt water.