• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possibly moving on

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah lots of different options above six figures. What do you think the people that buy those yachts new, do their sandbar cruising in? Lol
Not a pontoon.

Haulover Sandbar...I don’t see very many pontoons. Very few. Lol B3881882-05D4-4A62-AC8D-DC379C88C251.jpeg
There’s definitely a market for pontoons, adrianp, but million dollar plus yacht and cruiser owners isn’t the best place to market toons. Lol

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Idk man, I’ve walked around a 300k pontoon, that thing was better than our boats in every way shape and form.
A boat costing 3-10x more than a Yamaha was better? I, for one, am stunned that such a thing could happen! Whodathunk it? 🤪

What are your feelings between a Bugatti and a Camry?

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Congratulations and Thanks for your Service!
Don't worry we'll be surfing behind an electric powered pontoon in no time..lol
Great choice and keeping the Admiral happy is what its all about...
Happy Boating!

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It can pass me with five 350’s, a row of grills, and 100 people - I still ain’t getting one. If I’m gonna spend that kind of money on a boat it’s not gonna be a pontoon, tri-toon, quad-toon, or any kind of toon.
How about a jetoon?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a little bit of secret envy whenever I see the party barges go by. Good luck with the decision!

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
OK, there may have been one time I was a little envious of a toon. Last year we were trying to dock on a river with a pretty strong current. Took me a couple of approaches to gauge my speed but got in OK. As we were tying off, an old guy comes pulling into the same public dock area in a toon and proceeds to ram his bow into the left/right entry pilings to the slip about 5-6 times. No apparent damage, looked like he does this all the time. :)

Last edited:

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How about a jetoon?
As long as it’s not made out of 95% recycled beer cans I would consider it. :)

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So I recently retired from the Army after 21 1/2 years so I figured it might be time to get something a little more comfortable for the water. I made the mistake and rode on a good friend of mines tri-toon with a honda 250 hanging on the back. The way that thing took chop and wake was absolutely amazing. On a flat Lake there's no way he could keep up with my SX240 but out in the big water here in FL my boat it jumping all over from the wake and hes burnning by me smoking a cigar. They are both 24ft long, 8' 6" wide but its a pontoon it feels 3 feet wider than a Yamaha. Figured as hard as a jet boat is to come by these days might be time to move on to a boat with one of those spinny things on the back. Am i crazy?
Don't drive the minivan of the seas... even with dual 250's, it's still a pontoon. :D

BradGoins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Btw, in a previous life, and many years ago, my wife and I owned a tri-toon with a mercury 3.0 I/O. Yes, you read that right. 24' long, literally called a "Party Barge" We loved it for cruising. We tried to tube behind it with my son, but there's NO tight turning with a pontoon, I don't care what the dealer tells you. Prop slip is a real thing, even when you have an I/O leg that trims WAY down.

We loved the ability to put 19 people (per the USCG sticker) on that thing and float it up and down the river, hanging out at sandbars, and being party central. However things I soon learned, and then began to hate, about that boat was:

1. Sheer size when recovering - it always needed adjustments to sit on the bunks right after being pulled out. This was done by rocking the boat back and forth until it settled in the right spot.
  2. More people = more needs. There was a constant issue of people coming late, needing to leave early, everyone bringing their own coolers, etc.
  3. Cleaning it was a HUGE pita. Even with the most polite guests, it was still a chore to clean afterwards. All that square footage comes with a price.
  4. Trailering it anywhere further than 5 miles - forget about it, you're basically hauling a parachute. Even the largest 5th wheel campers have some aerodynamics designed into them - not that boat. It was a brick on wheels.
  5. Aluminum toons ALWAYS look dingy. One week my obsession went overboard and I bought a tub of aluminum polish and a Milwaukee orbital. I spent four days after work polishing the outside of the two toons, they looked like beautiful mirrors when I was done. That weekend we put the boat in the water, hung out, and by the time we got home, they were shiny on top, and dull where the waterline was.
If I had a lake house and the money to afford multiple boats, I'd own a toon for those evening cruises. But as an "only boat," hard pass. Besides, unless you have a 200k pontoon, nobody stops at the sandbar to inquire about it. Yamaha's, on the other hand, well you know - everyone loves their looks, transom seating, and wants to talk about jet drives!

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Btw, in a previous life, and many years ago, my wife and I owned a tri-toon with a mercury 3.0 I/O. Yes, you read that right. 24' long, literally called a "Party Barge" We loved it for cruising. We tried to tube behind it with my son, but there's NO tight turning with a pontoon, I don't care what the dealer tells you. Prop slip is a real thing, even when you have an I/O leg that trims WAY down.

We loved the ability to put 19 people (per the USCG sticker) on that thing and float it up and down the river, hanging out at sandbars, and being party central. However things I soon learned, and then began to hate, about that boat was:

1. Sheer size when recovering - it always needed adjustments to sit on the bunks right after being pulled out. This was done by rocking the boat back and forth until it settled in the right spot.
  2. More people = more needs. There was a constant issue of people coming late, needing to leave early, everyone bringing their own coolers, etc.
  3. Cleaning it was a HUGE pita. Even with the most polite guests, it was still a chore to clean afterwards. All that square footage comes with a price.
  4. Trailering it anywhere further than 5 miles - forget about it, you're basically hauling a parachute. Even the largest 5th wheel campers have some aerodynamics designed into them - not that boat. It was a brick on wheels.
  5. Aluminum toons ALWAYS look dingy. One week my obsession went overboard and I bought a tub of aluminum polish and a Milwaukee orbital. I spent four days after work polishing the outside of the two toons, they looked like beautiful mirrors when I was done. That weekend we put the boat in the water, hung out, and by the time we got home, they were shiny on top, and dull where the waterline was.
If I had a lake house and the money to afford multiple boats, I'd own a toon for those evening cruises. But as an "only boat," hard pass. Besides, unless you have a 200k pontoon, nobody stops at the sandbar to inquire about it. Yamaha's, on the other hand, well you know - everyone loves their looks, transom seating, and wants to talk about jet drives!
I sold my tri toon to get my AR210 and this describes my pontoon experience perfectly. I’d never go back.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
So I recently retired from the Army after 21 1/2 years so I figured it might be time to get something a little more comfortable for the water. I made the mistake and rode on a good friend of mines tri-toon with a honda 250 hanging on the back. The way that thing took chop and wake was absolutely amazing. On a flat Lake there's no way he could keep up with my SX240 but out in the big water here in FL my boat it jumping all over from the wake and hes burnning by me smoking a cigar. They are both 24ft long, 8' 6" wide but its a pontoon it feels 3 feet wider than a Yamaha. Figured as hard as a jet boat is to come by these days might be time to move on to a boat with one of those spinny things on the back. Am i crazy?
@Drift Away ..... thank you for your service and may you enjoy a long and happy retirement or semi-retirement. Our next boat would be a pontoon. Never thought I would say that but a friend bought a three tunnel pontoon (tri- toon?) and put two decent sized Yamahas on it. Super easy to service, almost indestructible, totally amazing amount of room and luxury and faaaaast. Have been on it when it went through 3 foot wakes and it cut them like butter - no bouncing or crashing. Tows water sports toys and kids no problem. You can option them from pure play/party platforms to having toilets/showers and fully enclosed sleeping accommodations your wallet being the only limiting factor. IMO best water real estate for a fraction of the cost of a "boat". :cool:

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Figured as hard as a jet boat is to come by these days might be time to move on to a boat with one of those spinny things on the back. Am i crazy?
You're not crazy at all. Obviously we differ in how we use our boats as I am a lake boater and have only had a Yamaha for 3 years now, it has crossed my mind to switch to a toon. For some of the same reasons I suppose, our lakes are like a washing machine for half the day and getting worse as the lakes are getting busier. With our kids getting older and moving away and it being more and more just the wife and I or with adult friends, a simpler more relaxed boating lifestyle that enhances what you use it for makes perfect sense to me. As long as the wife or rest of the family is on board, go for it!

Side note: I asked my admiral what she thought about moving to a toon and she moved to shut that crap down quick. She had a bunch of reasons but her main points were like;
- They are about as sexy and boring looking as your grandmothers lingerie.
- Just like Cadillac's and corvettes, you're shocked when the captain doesn't have silver hair.
- She wants a sexy looking boat that can still hit on all the main water activities when we want to do them.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You're not crazy at all. Obviously we differ in how we use our boats as I am a lake boater and have only had a Yamaha for 3 years now, it has crossed my mind to switch to a toon. For some of the same reasons I suppose, our lakes are like a washing machine for half the day and getting worse as the lakes are getting busier. With our kids getting older and moving away and it being more and more just the wife and I or with adult friends, a simpler more relaxed boating lifestyle that enhances what you use it for makes perfect sense to me. As long as the wife or rest of the family is on board, go for it!

Side note: I asked my admiral what she thought about moving to a toon and she moved to shut that crap down quick. She had a bunch of reasons but her main points were like;
- They are about as sexy and boring looking as your grandmothers lingerie.
- Just like Cadillac's and corvettes, you're shocked when the captain doesn't have silver hair.
- She wants a sexy looking boat that can still hit on all the main water activities when we want to do them.
Yea i am looking at a few. 24ft -27 at least a 250, rather a 350. But it is a lead sled. I am all about the ride and sitting in a big ass soft chair doing 45+ with a bunch of friends and a cigar and the music pissing everyone off haha.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yea i am looking at a few. 24ft -27 at least a 250, rather a 350. But it is a lead sled. I am all about the ride and sitting in a big ass soft chair doing 45+ with a bunch of friends and a cigar and the music pissing everyone off haha.
Sea trial any 'toon your considering in rough water first. While the newer pontoons have bigger tubes, lifting strakes, etc., they still cut rough water with a lot of spray. That was the other thing I forgot to mention I hated about that boat. Crossing wakes or white caps couldn't be done at WOT as the spray would SOAK everyone.

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I sold my 2
I sold my Yamaha 242 Limited S for the exact reason you mentioned. The handling of chop. Gets very choppy and crowded by me and the 30 minute ride home was just brutal taking a beating every weekend the wife and kids didn’t even want to go out. Tested a Bennington Tritoon with 200HP and I was sold! I took a friends out on the windiest nastiest day full of whitecaps and they handle chop amazing. Besides looks and top speed I can’t find anything the Yamaha did better. I don’t surf. We tubed all the time on the toon and couldn’t even go over 30 in the Yamaha cause the beating the light hull and no rudder would take. I’ve since sold that boat and went for a bigger bowrider regal 29 OBX. While the toon handles chop great they don’t handle rollers well at all and I travel through a canal that gets very rough some times and would like to not worry about tides and when I would have to get back. I think I finally found my boat that can do it all in the Regal, but I was a pontoon knocker until I actually got on one a realized I can go 35 mph in some slop and not take a beating. Not to mention the new outboards are so quiet unlike the jets. As for the prop just gotta be safe I always take lanyard out when beached or tied up and just be extra caution when tubing pull everyone to the side door always shut engine when retrieving.

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think they are bad ass but a tri-toon with a 350 is at least double if not triple what your boat costs. Also you can’t find pontoons any sooner than you can find a jet boat. I know someone locally looking to move a double decker 27ftTri-toon with 250.
Friend paid 120 out the door last year not this year for a Premier 310 tri toon with twin evinrude 250s...not sure how they are moving this year or availability but they move price a lot on most boats besides Yamaha. My 2018 Bennington was 56k out the door and the MSRP was 81k...before I found my used boat I had a regal MSRP 207k out the door for 173k but not until Dec. 2021 so I was so happy. Yamaha seems to hold firm I wouldn’t take other manufacturers msrp serious at all.