• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Property taxes for boat on military property

Thunderseye

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey all so my county is saying we owe personal property taxes on our boat and that the Value of our boat went up almost 20,000. Then proceeded to tell us it’s also based on where it is stored, so it’s not even in that county. The boat is stored on military property which is tax exempt. Has anyone else had issues like this when trying to get their boat registered

Last edited:

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My experience is the county where the boat resides (for at least half the year) is the county you register the boat and will tax the boat. We had ours at Allatoona then bought a lake house on Hartwell (GA side) and moved the boat registration along with the tax cost. Not sure about storing the boat on a base and being exempt. You still pay taxes on a car even when you lived on base, well many moons ago! HA!

Thunderseye

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I get it for initially buying the boat, and paying registration every however many years it is, but this is for personal property. Shoot in Colorado you didn’t pay personal property taxes on boats. Just the tax when you bought, and the few bucks each year for tags

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believed its was the address of the registration. Does your registration return to the base or your home address? Here in Columbia county its our home address. If I was the next county over (Richmond) it would've been cheaper to register. GA's crazy with this yearly tax BS

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Who is John Galt?

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When we had the lake the house it was a second home. We lived in Marietta (Out side of Atlanta). The boat is registered when it primarily stays. I wasn't happy because it was much more expensive to keep the boat there rather than Cobb county.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Some of y'all really need to stop voting for Democrats and RINOs.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Personal Property Taxes on a boat? Wow.

EDIT:

I would suggest doing some research here. Looks like you pay annual taxes because it is not titled. Your boat is not titled. GA didn't start titling boats until 2020.

You can also appeal the assessed value here: Appeals – Cobb County Board of Tax Assessors

"Annual Ad Valorem Tax
Annual Ad Valorem Tax applies to non-titled, or non-motorized vehicles and vehicles purchased prior to March 1, 2013. Annual Ad Valorem Tax is collected when you renew your registration. Vehicles subject to Annual Ad Valorem are also subject to sales tax."

If you purchased after 3/1/13 then you shouldn't pay being the annual tax.

Last edited:

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is a website that discusses Military Benefits in GA.

I was lucky. MO and VA did not collect Personal Property Tax for active duty military. I just had to take my LES to the county treasurer to prove I was active duty. That was a while ago, now it is all done online. I stayed in VA when I retired and have to say, the Personal Property Tax on my boat isn't bad compared to my cars. My advise is to talk to the Base JAG office. They probably answer this question all the time.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey all so my county is saying we owe personal property taxes on our boat and that the Value of our boat went up almost 20,000. Then proceeded to tell us it’s also based on where it is stored, so it’s not even in that county. The boat is stored on military property which is tax exempt. Has anyone else had issues like this when trying to get their boat registered
Did you tell them it’s stored on militarily property? The storage address zip code should be a FPO and that alone should have negated the tax, based on the person you talked to who said the taxes are levied on the storage location. Yiu should ask to speak to a supervisor.

If the answer is still that your nine year old boat went up $20,000 in value and you owe increased taxes on it, then there is an option. Go online and look up Your Best Address it’s in Sioux Falls South Dakota, you can register your boat there for a pittance of what you’re paying there. But, you could get some flack for having SD plates / registration numbers on your boat.