• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Recommended Detergent / Soap to clean Boat

Numbr1Koko

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What works best? I have read that "normal" soap, whatever normal is, ruins the clearcoat of the boat. Thank you in advance.

What works best? I have read that "normal" soap, whatever normal is, ruins the clearcoat of the boat. Thank you in advance.
Any boat or vehicle soap will be fine...I use Meguiar's regular Carwash soap. Cleans regular dirt and grime. If you have tough stains from algae, weeds, or lake scum, you'll need something tougher like Starbrite Hull Cleaner or similar.

Don't use dish washing liquid as it may soften the tough gelcoat finish.

Any boat or vehicle soap will be fine...I use Meguiar's regular Carwash soap. Cleans regular dirt and grime. If you have tough stains from algae, weeds, or lake scum, you'll need something tougher like Starbrite Hull Cleaner or similar.

Don't use dish washing liquid as it may soften the tough gelcoat finish.
Thank you!

I use Starbrite boat wash on the exterior of the hull, center console etc. To get the deck clean I use Dawn dishwashing soap to get it squeaky clean, if there is tougher grime I use Star Brite deck cleaner, it sorta smells like like Formula 409, be careful this stuff is very slippery, it cuts through all the crud that Dawn won’t.

About every 5th or 6th washing I will use cleaning vinegar at 1:1 ratio with water and a very soft brush to remove all the water spots and minerals inside and out, rinse and dry, then use Tech 582 on the outside of the hull and the vertical surfaces (never where I step) on the inside. I use this wax on the T top supports, center console etc..

C0D40EAA-76DC-43CD-84AF-556A0C4777D2.jpeg

Any advice for cleaning the gunwale? Mine is textured. Read this thread and am thinking of using Lysol bleach and the boat eraser. But not sure if they’ll leave it spotlessly white. Any advice?

Use a stiff brush and Star Brite deck cleaner. If that doesnt work, I have used soft scrub. When using the Star Brite, be careful as it is extremely slippery to walk on, do as the instructions suggest, rinse the heavy stuff off, put some on and spread it around with a stiff brush and let it work for a few mins, then come back with the stiff brush and apply some elbow grease, flush with copious amounts of water.

You want to use those erasers judiciously, they are basically very fine sandpaper. I’ve used and use them just don’t go too crazy with them.

Links to the products. I really like the extendable pole and I use the two brushes for everything. When I’m on the water I just use the raw water wash down and the stiff brush on the deck to keep things clean during the day.

Last edited:
Different option how about no soap I use 303 protectant and I feel like the soap washes it off. What I do helps save time and leaves the boat spotless literally no spots left from washing and it’s all done at or near the boat ramp. I keep a multi use big kahuna shower in the back wet storage area and I made a second for about $35 in parts that runs on one of my drill batteries this one is left in the truck. This process is mainly for salt water, anyone that boats in saltwater knows about the dried salt that sticks to the boat after the water has evaporated on the drive home from the boat ramp. The first part of cleaning starts after the launch, the home made battery powered big kahuna is used to rinse the trailer hitting the leaf springs, brackets, boat buckles and brakes. Takes about one minute for a quick rinse and know one even notices as they wait for me to get back to the boat after parking. This process dilutes the salt giving extended life to all the trailer parts, after 25 years of boating my biggest expense has been trailer parts. While out for the day if the boat has taken on salt water spray from waves I will use the shower water and a micro fiber towel to wipe off the salt residue and just give a general cleaning to any areas like the floor. The original use for the shower was rinsing off with warm water after wakeboarding, yes it’s filled from the house with warm water before we head out. When done for the day the boat is pulled from the water and immediately rinsed off with two people we use the balance of the shower water to rinse the boat and trailer. The big kahuna in the back runs from the boats power the hose has been extended to reach most of the back of the boat. The second battery powered shower rinses the hull and trailer again. Then a car Squeegee is used to wipe 90% of the water off the hull then a quick wipe with a micro fiber towel and the boat is literally spotless and the entire process takes about five minutes. What I’ve noticed is that the drive home from the boat ramp evaporates all the water leaving salt residue stuck all over the hull requiring a good scrub to get it off especially the occasional scum line that really hardens on, this process eliminates all of that. Then occasionally I will re apply the 303 protectant the reason for the 303 is that my last boat was the longest owned and the red hull oxidized from the UV light and I want to hopefully protect this new boat from the damaging sun rays.

Last edited:
Agree with the Starbrite non-skid deck cleaner. We use this to clean the non skid deck on our 35' sailboat as well as any of our other boats, past and present. Non-Skid Deck Cleaner Just cleaned our non-skid Sunday. I make up a solution in a bucket to use on deck with a stiff deck brush. I apply the non-skid cleaner directly on deck, from the bottle and brush it in. If I need more liquid, it dries out in the wind and sun, I will apply the solution in the bucket. We don't want the non skid slippery. I do not apply anything to it after cleaning. My Docksiders are slippery enough, time for a new pair.

Last edited:
Different option how about no soap I use 303 protectant and I feel like the soap washes it off. What I do helps save time and leaves the boat spotless literally no spots left from washing and it’s all done at or near the boat ramp. I keep a multi use big kahuna shower in the back wet storage area and I made a second for about $35 in parts that runs on one of my drill batteries this one is left in the truck. This process is mainly for salt water, anyone that boats in saltwater knows about the dried salt that sticks to the boat after the water has evaporated on the drive home from the boat ramp. The first part of cleaning starts after the launch, the home made battery powered big kahuna is used to rinse the trailer hitting the leaf springs, brackets, boat buckles and brakes. Takes about one minute for a quick rinse and know one even notices as they wait for me to get back to the boat after parking. This process dilutes the salt giving extended life to all the trailer parts, after 25 years of boating my biggest expense has been trailer parts. While out for the day if the boat has taken on salt water spray from waves I will use the shower water and a micro fiber towel to wipe off the salt residue and just give a general cleaning to any areas like the floor. The original use for the shower was rinsing off with warm water after wakeboarding, yes it’s filled from the house with warm water before we head out. When done for the day the boat is pulled from the water and immediately rinsed off with two people we use the balance of the shower water to rinse the boat and trailer. The big kahuna in the back runs from the boats power the hose has been extended to reach most of the back of the boat. The second battery powered shower rinses the hull and trailer again. Then a car Squeegee is used to wipe 90% of the water off the hull then a quick wipe with a micro fiber towel and the boat is literally spotless and the entire process takes about five minutes. What I’ve noticed is that the drive home from the boat ramp evaporates all the water leaving salt residue stuck all over the hull requiring a good scrub to get it off especially the occasional scum line that really hardens on, this process eliminates all of that. Then occasionally I will re apply the 303 protectant the reason for the 303 is that my last boat was the longest owned and the red hull oxidized from the UV light and I want to hopefully protect this new boat from the damaging sun rays.

Sounds like a simple and quick way to keep your boat looking great!

Back