• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Repairing and Overhauling a 2010 242 LS (pic heavy)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hopefully you can recoup some money with the trailer and anything else you can sell from it
As long as the engines are good, everything else is gravy. I thinking of having my broken engine repaired and Selling one of the original motors possibly with the ecm for around $6k or $7k and keeping the other as the spare.

I don’t mind packing and shipping large items like the seat cushions and maybe be even one of the captains chairs but not the tower or windows. If the price is right I will box/crate and ship one of the engines to anywhere in the U.S.

@BigAbe75, I have the center cushion and the other two filler cushions you mentioned. The first center cushion has a small tear in the top side (not the face), not sure about the others. The donor boat came with one table leg, not sure which one but will figure it out and set it aside when I strip the boat. When the dust settles I will ask for your zip code and try to get boxes and shipping prices from usps, ups and or fedex.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I need to run the engines on the hose to warm up the oil and hopefully dry up any remaining moisture in the air intake. The problem / nuisance I’m running into is the audible low aux battery alarm. The problem is I haven’t been able to turn it off. On the first gen (pre connext) I would just hit a button on one of the gauges but I’ve hit every button on the screen and those near the rotary dial, none disabled the alarm. If there is button or some sequence of buttons I need to hit please let me know. I plan to connect the negative terminals of the batteries together to see if that works, if not or maybe instead I will find and cut the lead to the buzzer.

Last edited:

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I never removed the engine before, but I always thought it would be possible to lift it with a few strong guys? Someone measured the 1.8l as 240lbs complete with everything. I think 200lbs is possible if the engine mounts, exhaust manifold, and intake manifold were removed. Strong guys, a strong piece of wood with a chain, and lift it out using your legs. Carry it over to the swim platform, step down, and carry it down.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never removed the engine before, but I always thought it would be possible to lift it with a few strong guys? Someone measured the 1.8l as 240lbs complete with everything. I think 200lbs is possible if the engine mounts, exhaust manifold, and intake manifold were removed. Strong guys, a strong piece of wood with a chain, and lift it out using your legs. Carry it over to the swim platform, step down, and carry it down.
It could work in theory and having done this sort of thing 100's of times in my life... I can HE-Man the 135 two strokes with no exhaust and no carbs out by my self but i had to build a platform over the engine bay to set them on to get out of the boat and get them to the ground.. two guys makes the complete two strokes doable as you say with a chunk of 4x4 and straps. I can lift an MR1 long block myself but I cant cleanly wrestle one down in the hole... fully assembled MR-1 is a lifting assist job only... I guess depends on what you mean by a few strong guys 🤣 now Im over 60 and out of shape

i had to have help with my other pickup truck engine swap... thats a 427 tall deck Big block chebby/5 speed swap for an 8V-71 Detroit (318) with a RTO-9513 (13 speed roadranger) and swapping a rockwell T-213 transfer case for a rockwell T-1187 airshift Overdrive/underdrive transfer case.

and now its time to go boating :winkingthumbsup"

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie I'd definitely reconsider building your own gantry. Ten 2x4x10's, a skill saw, and a screw gun. I'm happy to walk you through the process if you want, it took me about 20 minutes to put together..although I am a contractor. The key is that you need it to be minimum 10' tall to lift the engine high enough to get it over the swim platform if the boats are on the trailers, so keep that in mind if you're shopping for engine hoists/gantries.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@CaptRedbeard thanks for the offer but I just picked up a large used hoist, supposedly meant for marine use. I’m sure I will get my money’s worth out of it and resell it when I’m done with it.

Other than tow a borrowed trailer to pick up the new to me engine hoist, i was able to go through another engine oil and filter exchange. Starboard is done/oil looks like oil. Port engine ‘s oil still looks mostly like creamy chocolate milk.
BF8174DB-834A-4EE1-AADA-2C0E7F9C36C1.jpeg874208F8-03E3-492C-B662-6FF37E7C7507.jpegAE0DCA37-3A93-4E2E-B445-6FF88DA80694.jpeg

Last edited:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie I'd definitely reconsider building your own gantry. Ten 2x4x10's, a skill saw, and a screw gun. I'm happy to walk you through the process if you want, it took me about 20 minutes to put together..although I am a contractor. The key is that you need it to be minimum 10' tall to lift the engine high enough to get it over the swim platform if the boats are on the trailers, so keep that in mind if you're shopping for engine hoists/gantries.
10’ is the key. Also, I tried using a traditional engine hoist and couldn’t get it into proper position due to the wheels on the trailer being in the way. Or the reach from the rear being to far. a Lot of clearance issues were avoided by using a gantry.

Best of luck with the engine swaps. Unfortunately, I had to pull my engine multiple times before finally fixing the issue. at the end, I got to the point where I had the gantry set up and engine out within only 2-3 hours. I’m sure you’ll get the second one done pretty quickly once you find out what works for your situation.

Last edited:

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@CaptRedbeard thanks for the offer but I just picked up a large used hoist, supposedly meant for marine use. I’m sure I will get my money’s worth out of it and resell it when I’m done with it.

Other than tow a borrowed trailer to pick up the new to me engine hoist, i was able to go through another engine oil and filter exchange. Starboard is done/oil looks like oil. Port engine ‘s oil still looks mostly like creamy chocolate milk.
View attachment 191528View attachment 191529View attachment 191530
Holy cow, that thing is huge - the scale wasn't apparent until compared with a SUV! What's the max height of the boom arm?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Plenty of good stuff left on that donor boat to sell when you're done. If you're up to parting it out, put me down for the driver/passenger seat posts and swivel mechanisms.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Plenty of good stuff left on that donor boat to sell when you're done. If you're up to parting it out, put me down for the driver/passenger seat posts and swivel mechanisms.
You are will be on my list. I’m upgrading the captains seat on my boat with one from the donor boat (I like the arm rests and the reclining feature) but both seat posts and possibly the swivel from the other seat are available.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In re the windshield, insurance company came back with a $700 settlement offer after depreciating the windshield 50%. I am working with them now since the insurance contract does not specifically mention that glass/windows/windshields are subject to depreciation.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will your parts boat windshield work?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Will your parts boat windshield work?
I don’t know yet but hope so. I don’t have my boat to compare against but both boats look like they share the same center glass panels, I’m just not sure if the side panels (1 and 5) are the same shape. The donor boat (2017 ar) side panels are not flat on their bottoms, I think my boat (2010 ls) has flat bottomed side panels.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A I recall the 992/1,052 cc motors have a different lubrication system (dry sump?) than the 1,812 cc motors which is why most if not all of the oil can be removed from the 1,812s whereas the 992s and 1,052s only about of of their oil may be removed (through the top anyway).
yeah just changed my oil and filters last weekend and i got 2 1/4 quarts out of the tank and 1 1/2 quarts out of the sump... and to be fair the dipstick was about 1/4 qt low... in the past its usually 2.5 from the tank and 1.5 from the sump.... so the 1.8's are wet sump?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don’t know the terminology but the 1,812 cc motors have a different / opposite system than the 998 and 1,052 cc motors such that I get all or almost all of the oil out (3.5 to 4 quarts) during every oil change.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t know the terminology but the 1,812 cc motors have a different / opposite system than the 998 and 1,052 cc motors such that I get all or almost all of the oil out (3.5 to 4 quarts) during every oil change.
Its a wet sump for sure. All oil is collected in the "pan"

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks @Ronnie . Not sure how I missed the notification that you responded to me, but I didn’t see it until just now. ‘Course, I haven’t been on the forum as regularly as I used to be, either.

Sounds good, I’m in no hurry. 😀

As long as the engines are good, everything else is gravy. I thinking of having my broken engine repaired and Selling one of the original motors possibly with the ecm for around $6k or $7k and keeping the other as the spare.

I don’t mind packing and shipping large items like the seat cushions and maybe be even one of the captains chairs but not the tower or windows. If the price is right I will box/crate and ship one of the engines to anywhere in the U.S.

@BigAbe75, I have the center cushion and the other two filler cushions you mentioned. The first center cushion has a small tear in the top side (not the face), not sure about the others. The donor boat came with one table leg, not sure which one but will figure it out and set it aside when I strip the boat. When the dust settles I will ask for your zip code and try to get boxes and shipping prices from usps, ups and or fedex.

Nivekot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi Ronnie, do you have a silicone cover for the Connext display on the donor boat that you would be willing to sell? If so, I would be interested...

Thanks!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, I’ve got it and will sell it, just not until I get my boat up and running. So another month or so.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Update:

i went to the shop to take measurements of the windshield, I have not measured the donor boat’s yet but it doesn’t look like the side windows are the same, the bottom of the frames are different, 2010s are strait and the 2017curve upward at the ends but the curved part maybe the same.

my boat is being worked on, here are two pics which shows the starboard engine which is having the timing chain replaced with a new one and that the port engine has already been removed. If the transplant gets too hairy (because the sensor locations have changed, connections are different or missing, etc.) I will likely just have this shop complete it.
05BB4F97-FA85-4FA7-BBCD-3859FE746592.jpeg2BBAFD45-8AA6-484A-8ED8-DE297D231BD9.jpeg