• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Repower 2004 AR210 with MR-1 HO's

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can tell you that these two harnesses are the same... and have the same pin anomalies... i have a FXHO harness comin this week... and now all but pin 32 on the ecu agree with the SKI harness... I need to pull out the two other harness that I have and take a look... not sure what the ECU uses to determine run. if you ground the white to the black.. the ECU clearly sees that the stop switch is on however it still thinks the engine is running at 0 rpm...

Robb235

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Pin #32 is also blank on my FXHO harness. When I put my multimeter to Pin #32, it provided a constant ground. Discrepancy in the service manual, and apparently I never added a note about that to my ECU pin out.

Robb235

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As far as the ECU/YDS thinking that the engine is running, the only thing I can think of is maybe the cam position sensor? I know you said you had to replace the noise filter, so could there be something weird still going on there?

Robb235

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Another thought I had... Is something holding the throttle too far open? If throttles are too far open, ECU won't allow the engine to start. I'm looking at your YDS screenshots, and both your TPS Voltage and Throttle Valve Opening values are greater than what I think mine were (going from memory, I could be wrong). For some reason I want to say my TPS voltage was somewhere near 0.7v with throttle closed. But again, I'm not too sure on this , I've not had a reason up to this point to really pay attention to what those particular values were on my motor.

What is the TPS voltage on your starboard motor with the throttle closed? Will the starboard motor run, and it's the port motor that's causing your problems? If I have time, I'll try to see what my TPS voltage is on both my engines when I get home tonight.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great thanks

I havent really started on the Starboard engine yet... it has 10V on the YDS signal ground and YDS wont communicate I havent fought that all the way through.. Port engine has Fuel and the coils (just checked they're are all in spec on the primary and secondary side).. and plugs are new. RE Throttle plates: yes the range is they read 1.3V and i visually looked there are all the way closed and show 16 degrees open in YDS... if you WFO the throttle I get 4.004V and 82 degrees.... is it possible that the TPS got bumped and knocked out of position? its a bitch to get to the TPS... I'm down to that and checking the pulse coil resistance. It looks like the stator can fail and they will run off the battery...

manual says TPS is 0.756 +- 0.016 so 0.740 to 0.772 at 1650 RPM... would be nice to know what YDS says at at RPM

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok I see the TPS sensor is slotted, It has funky tamper proof torks screws.. I can fix that... the manual says loosen and turn the TPS clockwise to reduce the voltage...

I have a couple other throttle bodys... I can fake it out with this and see...

TB.jpg

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bad TPS... couldn't adjust it below 1.12V swapped TPS and Bam... in like Flint... adjusting to 0.752 and Putting the Throttle body back in now...

attachment - 2022-04-19T194014.626.jpg

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good deal, sounds like you’re getting closer! Fingers crossed that it starts up!
Hooray port engine started Instantly with a new TPS and set to 0.752~0.747V idles smooth but a little low... I'll get it all buttoned up and ready to test run tomorrow to check for water leaks

Thanks for the help...

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was starting to rain but it sounded like a bout 1000 RPM.. I only ran it for 20 seconds. I'll button it up and get it ready to run on the hose tomorrow...

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
to celebrate my port engine running success i ordered a pair of Stewart-Warner 0-100psi fuel pressure gauges and the matching electric sending units to fill out my port side console cluster and ditch the sketchy glycerin filled ones that came with the regulators..

so its port fuel press and oil press then 12V DC buss voltage in the middle then port oil press and fuel press

attachment - 2022-03-08T143738.495.jpg
attachment - 2022-03-26T201440.971.jpg

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok so my new to me starboard engine harness arrived this morning and it 100% agrees with Robb235's xls file and the wiring diagram for a 2006 FX Cruiser HO down to the correct placement for the B/Y on pin 7, orange on 8&9 and the proper location 27 and 29.

I suspect the harnesses I have are from and earlier model year... as there was no indication that the harnesses were tampered with in any way and what are the chances that 4 harnesses from 3 different sources would have the same exact pin outs that differ from the 2006,7,8 diagrams...

and my long time supplier was gracious enough to supply me with the B/W and R/Br pigtails for start stop out of a dead ski... and all the sensors but the ECU to add to my spares...

Should make the starboard engine a snap...

attachment - 2022-04-21T101238.598.jpgattachment - 2022-04-21T101249.688.jpg

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
todays update... warmed up port engine on the hose... Idle was 1200 rpm... set it up to 1500 or so... 1650 sounded to busy... no leaks all looks good.

tomorrows task is to sort out the starboard engine.... a short video blipping the throttle... cant wait to get this on the water and break in the engines....

Port MR-1

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok so after 4 hours of debugging the starboard engine harness... unplugging everything but the ECU.. and the other 3 ECU's will start and run in the Port engine. the existing stbd harness still puts 5V on two of the B/O ground pins in the the 10 pin Bus... too many unknowns and deviations from the schematic to use test and deduction... going with a spare harness that agrees with the schematic... cross your fingers... im gonna lay the new harness out before I spend and hour dressing it off :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Starboard engine update: new harness works perfect.. just swapped it... have to dress off and route the wires and then I can check out with YDS adjust the TPS and address any potential bad sensors and fire the starboard engine up...

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats on your progress. You will have a rocket ship when finished.

Off topic question but I believe you will have the answer, how is the MR-1 throttled up for no wake mode?

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on your progress. You will have a rocket ship when finished.

Off topic question but I believe you will have the answer, how is the MR-1 throttled up for no wake mode?
thanks its been a fun project, Id like to get into the mid 60's... Re: MR-1 no wake mode. the Jetski's dont have the wire in the harness but the boats do according to the service manuals... I don't know exactly but I can speculate that since there is no servo on the MR-1 throttle bodies that could be done with the IAC servo and a control loop in the ECU however the effective RPM range would be limited ... Im my case i set the idle speed on the engines to 1500 RPM (book says 1650) and will just use the shifter bucket lever to regulate speed.. the TR-1's and SVO/SVHO's have fly by wire throttles so the ECU can open and close the throttle body via a servo motor... maybe someone else knows more...

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Starboard engine lit right off and runs perfect 🥳🥳

I ran out of daylight so I'll warm it up on the hose tomorrow after breakfast and dial it in... maybe test in the water next weekend

now its just easy stuff... hooking up the throttle cables and dressing out a few more wires...

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok one casualty on the Starboard side... i have a 0.005" pinhole in the cast aluminum exhaust collector transition that I TIG welded... it doesn't seep it forms a drop and drips occasionally... ill pull it off today and fix the pinhole... UGGGG

also on the list today is the upgraded fuel rail junction for the stbd side.. and set the TPS as it is a little on the high side (out of spec) at 0.842V then hook up the Lever ends of the throttle cables and adjust and verify WFO on the butterflies... Wire in the key switches and tachs... and a million other details...