• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rock chip hull protection DIY solution

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
After realizing this winter that gravel roads and towing aren't mixing for me, I did a full gel coat restoration which was a ton of work. Now I wanted to protect my time investment lol (and boat). After looking up solutions, I had a hard time justifying the costs of some of these solutions. I considered mud flaps for the car too, but none fit my hitch/car setup (not a pickup truck). So I McGyver'd a solution using CE Smith 5' guide bunks which were only $200CAD for 4 posts (and bunks which aren't being used). A bit of 2" pipe, caps and heavy duty screen + grommets and bungee cords. Tada! I think it looks pretty decent and that's where ALL the damage was located in my case.

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
If anybody reads this... I've learned that the fiberglass mesh needs to be stronger where the grommets are installed. I redid the mesh but I folded the corners to double it up before installing the grommets again. The previous version ripped in the wind after some highway driving over multiple drives. Otherwise, it's worked wonderfully since.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yes, but none are made for 1.25" receivers... all for 2". I have a 1.25". You have to constantly remove/install them if you don't like the appearance when not towing (which I don't like doing). If you tow with a different vehicle, the guards being on the trailer still work and you don't need a different set of flaps that fit the other vehicle.

Obviously for many mud flaps work well for them. But for me, it wasn't going to be possible without some crazy 1.25" to 2" adapter, etc. That was the main reason.

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
don't get me wrong, not shitting on your idea at all. curious for the need of your solution, and the explanation makes sense.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off defensive either! lol I'm multitasking with work... wrote quickly.

I tow on gravel roads a lot. It completely destroyed the hull one particular summer with major road work going on. I fixed it all up and wanted to save myself future work. This was the solution for me.

There are commercial versions of what I did. Fairly popular apparently. But way more expensive.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A job well done!

What about mud flaps on the rear of your fender wells on your tow vehicle?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yeah, I read a lot of reviews. One of the things that kept coming up on this problem were mud flaps there. The problem is apparently it doesn't stop all of them. A lot, but not all. It still kicks up some rocks past them. Hence the hitch style version of mud flaps. They do a much better job IF you can install one. So I opted for the only sure thing for me which were those trailer mounted guards.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah, I read a lot of reviews. One of the things that kept coming up on this problem were mud flaps there. The problem is apparently it doesn't stop all of them. A lot, but not all. It still kicks up some rocks past them. Hence the hitch style version of mud flaps. They do a much better job IF you can install one. So I opted for the only sure thing for me which were those trailer mounted guards.
Right on…. You did a great job with your diy set up! I see a lot of boats up here with the bolt on screens on their boat trailers, lots of gravel roads here, some trailers even have some sort of hard wings. The mud flaps on my truck seem to be stopping 99.9% of the stones, but I may still get a set of those big boy mud flaps to go onto my my hitch.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length