• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Safety of no props case and point

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
My wife was stepping off the boat on to the end of the dock at a landing today and the edge of the dock broke off of sending her unexpectantly into the water behind a boat that was preping along side the dock. She end up hitting her ribs on the prop on her way in. I shutter and it makes me sick to my stomach to think how much worse this could have been. She could have gotten really sliced good or God forbid the motor was running. :nailbiting: So thankful it was only scrape with really sore ribs!
+1 for propless boats.
943EEB9C-3A32-440C-B5DF-96610A538AB8.jpeg

Ouch! Best wishes for a full & speedy recovery for her.

Wow. Definitely lucky. Hope she's feeling better soon.

Glad she is ok. How is this +1 for propless?

Glad she is ok. That looks like it hurts!!

I wouldn't blame this necessarily on the evil bad props though. That could have been any boat next to her and she could have got scrapped up, even a jet boat. Any time you fall into the water unexpectedly and next to another boat bad things can happen. I've hit my elbow pretty bad on the ladder once when I fell off my boat. Thought I cracked a bone lol. Ever since I make it a point to remind my daughter and wife never to jump off the swim platform near the ladder. We boat on a dark river so visibility is often less than 3' so the ladder will disappear giving a false sense that it's not there for people who don't know the boat or kids that don't think about it. I'm not saying our ladder is evil just saying it extends beyond the swim platform and you could get injured by it. Not at all trying to downplay your wife's injury either so please don't take my post that way! Just saying all boats can get you hurt and us propless boats are not immune to it. Glad she is ok and not injured badly for the most part. I'm sure it was scary at the time.

Last edited:
Not saying prop boats are evil and of course you have to careful around any boat even jet boats. I had prop boats for 15 yrs and never an injury from a prop, I’ll probably have a prop boat again sometime in the future. My reaction to this is from the sickening feeling I get when thinking what could have happened if that boat happened to be backing away from the dock ( which it would have been 5 min later) instead of still sitting there. That is why in this case I say +1 for propless boats, meaning this is definitely a pro in the pros and cons when it comes to a freak accident like this one.

Last edited:
Was the prop in the water? Some of those outboards when raised out of the water while docked put the prop at a dangerous angle if you fell into it.

Was the prop in the water? Some of those outboards when raised out of the water while docked put the prop at a dangerous angle if you fell into it.

It was an I/O and prepped for shallow water leaving the dock so prop trimmed up but in the water

My wife was stepping off the boat on to the end of the dock at a landing today and the edge of the dock broke off of sending her unexpectantly into the water behind a boat that was preping along side the dock. She end up hitting her ribs on the prop on her way in. I shutter and it makes me sick to my stomach to think how much worse this could have been. She could have gotten really sliced good or God forbid the motor was running. :nailbiting: So thankful it was only scrape with really sore ribs!
+1 for propless boats.
View attachment 77794
Hope she feels better soon

Back