• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Salt Away - Salt water survival tips

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I LICKED MY PISSER!! It wasn't bad actually. If you're a salt water boater check out my latest video providing some entertaining salt water survival tips.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good video. FWIW, I boat only in salt water, and I spray down my boat (inside and out) using a hose end garden mixer filled with Salt Off (it uses about 5 ozs). I do that before I flush the engine with Salt Off. Afterwards, I wash the boat inside and out, but the salt off has had time to dissolve salt on the interior/exterior surfaces prior to the wash. I think it makes the process easier.

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not a bad idea, I'll have to try that. Thanks!

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good video. FWIW, I boat only in salt water, and I spray down my boat (inside and out) using a hose end garden mixer filled with Salt Off (it uses about 5 ozs). I do that before I flush the engine with Salt Off. Afterwards, I wash the boat inside and out, but the salt off has had time to dissolve salt on the interior/exterior surfaces prior to the wash. I think it makes the process easier.
I’ve heard from boaters on salt water after your first step of washing boat and flushing engines with salt away your done. There is no need to wash it unless there’s visible scum line from being in the water multiple days. Salt away cleans the boat as good as boat soap if its only been in the water a day or possibly 2.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’ve heard from boaters on salt water after your first step of washing boat and flushing engines with salt away your done. There is no need to wash it unless there’s visible scum line from being in the water multiple days. Salt away cleans the boat as good as boat soap if its only been in the water a day or possibly 2.
I wash the boat with a good quality wash and wax soap to further the cleaning process - get missed spots, wash away puddled water and actual dirt and prevent water spots (required drying too). If I did not wash after spraying with Salt Off, I would expect to see water spots and left over dirt. Salt Off does not produce the level of suds (to float away dirt and etc.) like a dedicated soap. However, it might work better than I would expect, but I will probably continue to use soap as only adds a few minutes to the entire process (versus using the Salt Off as the soap).

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I LICKED MY PISSER!! It wasn't bad actually. If you're a salt water boater check out my latest video providing some entertaining salt water survival tips.
Awesome vid as always Capt’ Leon!

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I wash the boat with a good quality wash and wax soap to further the cleaning process - get missed spots, wash away puddled water and actual dirt and prevent water spots (required drying too). If I did not wash after spraying with Salt Off, I would expect to see water spots and left over dirt. Salt Off does not produce the level of suds (to float away dirt and etc.) like a dedicated soap. However, it might work better than I would expect, but I will probably continue to use soap as only adds a few minutes to the entire process (versus using the Salt Off as the soap).
It will surprise you how fast clean up can be spraying while boat with salt away and then rinsing off and drying. If you were on water 1 day it should be perfectly clean. More than 1 day you will need break out the wash mitt and suds. Also depends how dirty your water is on if you can get away with salt away only occasionally.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought I was the only crazy one tastings the water during a flush...............count me in on the Leo crazy club.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I notice that the salt away strips the wax off my boat when I use it on the hull.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I notice that the salt away strips the wax off my boat when I use it on the hull.
Any of these products are a mild acid. Good synthetic wax should resist it fairly well; I use Griot's Poly Wax. For extra protection, I have been applying Griot's Ceramic Spray On Wax every 6 months as a topper to the regular wax. Forget all of the ceramic hype, Griot's Ceramic Spray On Wax is almost effortless to apply, and it is tenacious - beyond any other spray on waxes I have tried. The new base wax in the Ceramic Spray On wax is something much better, and it leaves no white residue on any surface (including black plastics and rubbers).