• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Save me some money

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For anyone towing I recomend upgrading the rear suspension (or who likes a smooth or plusher ride in there cars), I upgrade all my vehicles with Ir assist systems. You can usually do (self installed) a manual fill system with a tire chuck for about $200 and if you want automated so you can adjust from cabin cost is around $500.
Even full size vehicles will tow better with an air helper system.
For your Tacoma I would look at these systems first.
Start on Etrade and see what is offered, Airlift and Firestone are 2 major air helper companies. Also consider heavy duty leaf springs or coils plus air system.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a thought....I went from a Toyota 4runner to an F-150.
F-150 tows better and feels more stable hands down....but the 4runner because of smaller width and length was much easier to see the boat/trailer and much easier to make turns with the trailer at low speeds....I would say it was a give and take comparison.
I have 1-2" clearance on the side of my garage and it is much trickier now with the bigger truck.
That's interesting to me. What kind of F150 did you have, Regular Cab, Double Cab, Crew Cab...? I have a GX470 (a fancified 4Runner) and had a Regular Cab F150, and I felt the GX470 was better when towing.

@drewkaree

Have a read through this article. They talk about trailer size and shape as well as weight distribution on that trailer.

I had a really good article saved awhile back that talked about the dynamics of trailer length and ball weight in terms of stability while also factoring in vehicle weight and wheelbase. I'll keep looking for it, but I can't find it right this moment.

*edit* still looking for the PDF

That's some good info to go along with everything.

Prior to getting the boat, my main stuff I'd haul was similar to the skidster video. Did landscaping, so tons of skidster use, large enclosed trailers with 2-3 60" mowers, mini excavators, etc. Similar to his advice, trying to center the weight over the trailer axles or slightly forward always gave the best feel. The boat is the first thing I ever felt the need to check a tongue weight, simply because it's a lot harder to know the weight distribution. I don't know how guys use the boat for storage trailers on vacation without weighing and doing some distribution if they've got tons of stuff in there.

AT4TX

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I bought a 2020 242S. Loaded will probably be 5500ish lbs. My current tow vehicle is a 2019 Tacoma 4x4. Rated at 6500 lbs with the factory tow package. Can someone convince me that I don't need to upgrade to a full size? I love my special edition truck, and full size ones seem so expensive.

Im in Indiana, so pretty flat, and towing 100 or so miles round trip on weekends..

And yes, I realize I should have thought about this before buying, and I did, but what can I say? Haha
Personally I think your Taco is fine. You’ll know pretty quick if you are comfortable or not dragging your 242 around. But if you do consider moving up, the 1/2 tons with diesels are worth a gander.

I’ve got a 2020 GMC Sierra AT4 with the 3.0L Duramax, have had it for 10 months and have clocked 23k miles. Tow rating is 9000lbs and when you’re not towing you’ll get 18 city and 25+ hwy. On recent trip from AZ to TX, averaged 27 @ 80 mph, with a 24 gal tank that’s 650+ miles. With your 242 on the back you’ll get 20 all day. I’ve pulled box trailers at the max tow rating and gotten better than 15.

3/4s are overkill unless you plan on jumping to a bigger boat down the road. Hard to justify that extra $15k to $20k jump in sticker for a whole bunch of towing capacity you’ll never use. Plus if you use it as a daily driver, it will beat you up.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Personally I think your Taco is fine. You’ll know pretty quick if you are comfortable or not dragging your 242 around. But if you do consider moving up, the 1/2 tons with diesels are worth a gander.

I’ve got a 2020 GMC Sierra AT4 with the 3.0L Duramax, have had it for 10 months and have clocked 23k miles. Tow rating is 9000lbs and when you’re not towing you’ll get 18 city and 25+ hwy. On recent trip from AZ to TX, averaged 27 @ 80 mph, with a 24 gal tank that’s 650+ miles. With your 242 on the back you’ll get 20 all day. I’ve pulled box trailers at the max tow rating and gotten better than 15.

3/4s are overkill unless you plan on jumping to a bigger boat down the road. Hard to justify that extra $15k to $20k jump in sticker for a whole bunch of towing capacity you’ll never use. Plus if you use it as a daily driver, it will beat you up.
Thinking my next Suburban might have the 3.0 in it.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I'd take 25 MPG on the HWY any time in a full size truck/Suv. I was get16/17 in my Denali (6.1 ltr) towing our jet ski and equipment. It 's rated for 17 HWY so I guess I'm getting the max out of it. I also use synthetic oil and have a K&N air filter which I believe gives at least 1 additional mile per gallon. Just my opinion.

portlandbucfan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Love my Tundra. May not be best looking trucks to some, but will last a hell of alot longer then the competition. I personally find other models ugly ha. If you keep vehicles for an extended period of time I would recommend the Tundra. If you prefer looks plenty of nice trucks but may have other issues...

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For anyone towing I recomend upgrading the rear suspension (or who likes a smooth or plusher ride in there cars), I upgrade all my vehicles with Ir assist systems. You can usually do (self installed) a manual fill system with a tire chuck for about $200 and if you want automated so you can adjust from cabin cost is around $500.
Even full size vehicles will tow better with an air helper system.
For your Tacoma I would look at these systems first.
Start on Etrade and see what is offered, Airlift and Firestone are 2 major air helper companies. Also consider heavy duty leaf springs or coils plus air system.
Agree that air bags help a lot with stability.

The self installed manual inflate Firestone kit was $96 on Amazon for my land cruiser. Might be worth it for a year on a leased vehicle if the OP has a lot of rear spring sag going on.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You guys on here are far more.... I dunno if it's brave or reckless than me. I've towed with a new v6 Tacoma and it was barely up to the task of pulling a smallish uhaul trailer that was mostly empty. Anytime there was any sort of hill it dropped down to like 5000rpm. I can't imagine trying to tow a 5000 pound plus boat with one. The 3.5L they use now is great if you use your truck like a car, but it suuuuuucks if you try to use your truck as more than a car with a bed.

The Durango is a great option. The Grand Cherokee would be a good option too, but not as good. Tahoe with the 3.0L diesel is likely our next vehicle. Most full size trucks probably won't fit in your garage, I had an oversized garage and could Barely fit my old f150 in it.

If you're open to used, your options open up a bit. Mercedes ML tows well, the old GMC Envoy (or Buick Rainier) with the 5.3 would work well, or be nuts like me and get a Trailblazer SS. Even the old Explorer with the 4.6L v8 would probably get what you need done, as would an expedition but I suspect that may be too big for your garage.

Personally, I think you're one pucker moment away from getting rid of your truck at breakneck pace. I'd use the cooler months now to figure out what you want and have it ready for warmer weather.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Personally, I think you're one pucker moment away from getting rid of your truck at breakneck pace. I'd use the cooler months now to figure out what you want and have it ready for warmer weather
Exactly what we were thinking.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've towed with a new v6 Tacoma and it was barely up to the task of pulling a smallish uhaul trailer that was mostly empty.
Something doesn't pass the smell test. I don't have a dog in this fight, but this seems...um...I'll just say "suspect". There's clearly info missing/left out to come to such a conclusion.

MeadMan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Currently towing 2018 242x with a 2015 Tacoma (the 4 liter V6 engine). It’s a little anemic on hills, but I’ve had no other issues towing it. I suspect you’ll wish you had a bit more power like me, but it will get the job done. I’d suggest trying it out a few times before you decide to upgrade your vehicle. Best of luck!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Something doesn't pass the smell test. I don't have a dog in this fight, but this seems...um...I'll just say "suspect". There's clearly info missing/left out to come to such a conclusion.
The 3.5L v6 is just garbage as a truck engine IMO. I literally thought that the wife's parents had bought a 4 cylinder it struggled to pull the trailer up hills so much. Any slight incline and it'd drop down gears to like 4 or 5000 RPM.

It's some weird Atkinson cycle engine or something, I think it just has no low end torque. We were towing a uhaul trailer with a queen mattress and a chair in it, and it just... It got the job done but I'm pretty sure that trip took a year off it's lifespan. The older 4.0L engine wasn't a rocket, but it at least did work.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 3.5L v6 is just garbage as a truck engine IMO. I literally thought that the wife's parents had bought a 4 cylinder it struggled to pull the trailer up hills so much. Any slight incline and it'd drop down gears to like 4 or 5000 RPM.

It's some weird Atkinson cycle engine or something, I think it just has no low end torque. We were towing a uhaul trailer with a queen mattress and a chair in it, and it just... It got the job done but I'm pretty sure that trip took a year off it's lifespan. The older 4.0L engine wasn't a rocket, but it at least did work.
It’ll spin 4 or 5000 rpm forever though

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My little truck is a Chevy 2500hd. It’s just about right for my 3000lb boat.

1/2 ton trucks are glorified station wagons with rear springs that are nearly the length of the bed for that soft car like ride when unloaded. Air bags help avoid looking overloaded any time you put a full cart of groceries in the bed or hook up a lawn cart to move a few rose bushes.

Modern Diesel engines in anything less then a 450/550 are a roll of the dice for the cost/benefits and future repair bills.

Ymmv

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I say get the cybertruck. It’ll save plenty of gas money.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
You are not helping me here. Lol..

So if I have to go bigger, sell me on a brand. Chevy Silverado, Ford F-150, or Ram 1500? I love Toyotas, but Tundras are U.G.L.Y...

Anyone purchase these lately? Any good deals on financing or leasing?
You can always get a jet ski instead....😎

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can always get a jet ski instead....😎
I loved my jet skis, lol. Some days I figure if I had a super cheap 3 seater or 2 thatd be ideal... But my wife hates driving them, and buying a jet ski for friends to ride is silly unless you're super rich, lol.