• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SeaDek install using 3M primer?

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I will be installing SeaDek on my boat in a couple of weeks and was watching the install video on the Jet Boat Pilot website. The video mentions that you can use a 3M primer to make the adhesive adhere better but that it’s an optional step. In all of the SeaDek threads that I could find I did not see one mention of primer. Has anyone used the primer? Thoughts for/against?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the few pieces I've put on, I have no issue with adhesion. I have not heard of a primer for SeaDek either.

I cleaned the area with soap and water, dried it off as best as I could, cleaned it with a glass cleaner (can't recall if it was recommended to have ammonia or not), went over over the area with acetone, and I let everything dry and for a bit, maybe half an hour. I went over it once more with acetone, let that flash off and dry, and then applied the SeaDek piece. I have a small J-roller that I used to go over the edges of one of the pieces really well, but I don't think it's adhered any better or worse than the other two pieces

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Thats the primer they give you when installing a keel guard. Unfortunately i dont know the 3m #.

NeoBrew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I installed a complete set in my FSH210 last winter. I used the primer. It is called "Primer 94". You can get it on Amazon. The pint was more than enough to do my whole boat.

My boat was in good shape, it's a lightly used 2018 so I didn't need to do any removal or restoration. I had clean fiberglass to start with.

I guess it's pretty important to have the boat and SeaDeck at 70F or above for installation. In my case I had to heat it up with lights and fans as I went.

My process was to:
1. Clean entire area really well with Windex and a nylon brush then wipe clean and dry.
2. Position and tape down a few pads at a time to verify spacing and location.
3. Trace around pad with a pencil to create line for primer.
4. Run a line of primer around the boat floor inside the edge of the pencil line. Let that dry for a few minutes before adhering the pads. I used a foa tipped applicator bottle and only did one width of one stroke, not the whole underside. I had a black foam paint brush to tweak application when necessary.
5. Score the back of the paper on the pad down the middle of the pad in the short dimmension and fold back about 1-2 inches of the paper. (This makes a little "tent" so that when you lay the pad down it holds the adhesive off the deck so you can position it.)
6. Lay the pad down and get it positioned EXACTLY! (There is no moving it once it is stuck.)
7. Press the center line under the fold into the deck to adhere and lock in the position of the pad.
8. Lift up one side of the pad and begin to pull the paper away from the underside of the pad.
9. Press from the center out as you pull the paper under the pad. The goal is to chase any bubbles out before the whole pad is stuck down.
10. Run over the pad with a flooring roller to ensure it is down and embedded fully.

I watched a bunch of videos before I did the install. My method is pretty much every belt and suspenders topic I could collect from all of them! With it being my first install and the cost of the SeaDeck I wasn't going to take any chances.

Also, a disclaimer. My boat has been in heated storage all winter. With the arrival of spring we will get to see how it holds up!

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you for the detailed install guide!!

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m using castaway customs in NJ for my seadek install in a couple weeks. While I don’t have a Yamaha anymore I have a larger hot now than any Yamaha and the price to install was $270 dollars. For that cheap I figured why not let them install. Remove my snaps and fill them then lay the sea dek. Seemed like very good price to install.