• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us your tow rigs!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Different Duromax. There is a big differences between them.
*Duramax......Sorry, couldn't help myself on this one :D

You're spot on though. @J-RAD just got a 1500 truck. The truck in @swatski post is a 2500. 1500's get the 3.0L I-6 Duramax, 2500's get the 6.6L V8 Duramax. Pretty big capability jump in towing, and payload between them.

I am really surprised the baby Duramax in the 1500's aren't available with the Max Tow Packages. Has to be a programmatic detail at this point. Wonder if it's just a "hasn't been down the EPA test route yet" issue with getting the better rear gears and trans package together with the little diesel?!?!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Effing AWESOME!!!
I'm so envious of the diesel powerplant. so much better for towing, as long as you can manage the exhaust nonsensical mods...- and their unwanted side effects.
As far as any worries about tow ratings?? you have got to be kidding... these trucks are absolute f....cking beasts.
RIP @dansx230ho trailered construction equipment with his two duramax trucks, I think one can manage a yamaha jet boat in tow, lololol.
View attachment 140124

--
Thanks! It feels like it will be a little beast. The owner of the dealership pulled his 25ft Malibu up the canyon to Jordanelle and said it was impressive. Definitely going to be fine pulling the Yamaha.

It seems like they're getting the EPA junk figured out. I HOPE...! My 2011 Duramax was so much better after I cut it off, but they've been able to improve on them and find 100 more HP in the current generation.

yeah shouldn't be an issue. Just was surprised it was so low.
WTF is right though. If they could option the thing with a 13,000 lb trailering capacity it would be a no-brainer.

You're spot on though. @J-RAD just got a 1500 truck. The truck in @swatski post is a 2500. 1500's get the 3.0L I-6 Duramax, 2500's get the 6.6L V8 Duramax. Pretty big capability jump in towing, and payload between them.

I am really surprised the baby Duramax in the 1500's aren't available with the Max Tow Packages. Has to be a programmatic detail at this point. Wonder if it's just a "hasn't been down the EPA test route yet" issue with getting the better rear gears and trans package together with the little diesel?!?!
I wouldn't be surprised if it is coming down the pike. If there's a demand and the 3.0L continues to gain popularity I could see them figuring out the engineering. I mean, it seems like the engine is capable.

Honestly, if I was towing more than 9000-10,000lbs on a regular basis I would probably start looking at a ¾ ton diesel over the ½ ton anyway.

I hope I don't come across as braggadocious by mentioning this. The reality of the situation for us is this is our second truck and I've got my '18 6.6 Duramax 3500 to do the heavy lifting. Definitely a different level of capability. I'm jealous she is driving the newer and frankly "nicer" truck. If I were to start complaining about my circumstance I would certainly run the risk of being labeled a entitled douche bag. Pretentious maybe... 😊
20201015_144011-01.jpeg

We'll know in a few months if we made the right choice of if I'm getting a divorce... 😬

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If they could option the thing with a 13,000 lb trailering capacity it would be a no-brainer.
Honestly, do you really want to be towing that much weight with a 1/2 ton if it was rated to do so? I know I wouldn't. I know the weight of a diesel engine will take away payload capacity, at least in my generation Ram it did, so in a 1/2 ton application that may be the reason it's only rated at 9k. It may be a cooling issue too. Or it may be a marketing thing. Like you said if you're towing more then 9-10k pounds on a regular basis you really should have a heavy duty truck.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@J-RAD As much as I think the new AT4's are awesome, and I love the idea of a diesel in a 1500 class pickup. I personally prefer the '14-'19 body style and interior. The interior is really the big kicker for me. I'm not a fan of the "rubberized" flatness of the new center stack. Just looks overly abrupt to me. It's not bad, it's just not as nice IMO. I would rock that '18 until the wheels fall off it (then get some new wheels and do it again).

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If i only had his genes.......
Holy crap! Who's his vet? "Dr." Tony Huge? Maybe Larry Wheels? 😁

Anyhow, my lease is about up on this truck - just a 2018 2.7 eco F150. Picking up another F150 end of March since I can snag A-Plan. The boat is pretty much all I tow, and then really only between my marina and the launch which is about 1 mile each way. Of course the semi-annual (barring anything unexpected) trip to the dealer - about 50 miles each way) to pick up and drop off for storage, maintenance, service, etc.. The 2.7 eco suited my needs for now with a 7600lb rating and has no issues on the surface streets, but if I was going to be towing more long distance I'd definitely want the 3.5 eco or some other beefier option as the 2.7 feels a bit anemic on the freeway.
1610660464218.png

mrtrav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

Anyhow, my lease is about up on this truck - just a 2018 2.7 eco F150. Picking up another F150 end of March since I can snag A-Plan. The boat is pretty much all I tow, and then really only between my marina and the launch which is about 1 mile each way. Of course the semi-annual (barring anything unexpected) trip to the dealer - about 50 miles each way) to pick up and drop off for storage, maintenance, service, etc.. The 2.7 eco suited my needs for now with a 7600lb rating and has no issues on the surface streets, but if I was going to be towing more long distance I'd definitely want the 3.5 eco or some other beefier option as the 2.7 feels a bit anemic on the freeway.
I put in an order for a 21 F-150 back in October, should have it sometime towards the end of march. I ended up going with the PowerBoost (hybrid) version of the 3.5 eco, which has some really good numbers for HP, Torque, MPG, and towing capacity. Will easily handle my little AR195 no problem.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

View attachment 140184
I put in an order for a 21 F-150 back in October, should have it sometime towards the end of march. I ended up going with the PowerBoost (hybrid) version of the 3.5 eco, which has some really good numbers for HP, Torque, MPG, and towing capacity. Will easily handle my little AR195 no problem.
the 3.5 is a monster. Last summer I had about 1k lbs in the bed, my boat full of gas, and also loaded with stuff. My truck pulled that like it was nothing. 10th gear at 73 mph, AC on full blast (heat index was near 105*), and still managed nearly 14mpg on that trip. Even on decent hills/inclines it didn't even downshift. Just chugged right along at 1900 RPMs. Peak torque of 470ft lbs is something like 2400, so it makes sense it doesn't need to really downshift at all. Was super impressed.

Just to give you an idea of just how much weight was in the bed. You can see the sag here. Bed was FULL of tools and all kinds of stuff. Mine is the max tow with the heavier payload limit. Love it for hauling the boat. I've towed about 10k lbs worth of trailer/tractor with this thing on the highway and it didn't give a damn about that either. This is my first Ford, and it definitely won't be my last.
20200724_100035.jpg

Last edited:

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
the 3.5 is a monster. Last summer I had about 1k lbs in the bed, my boat full of gas, and also loaded with stuff. My truck pulled that like it was nothing. 10th gear at 73 mph, AC on full blast (heat index was near 105*), and still managed nearly 14mpg on that trip. Even on decent hills/inclines it didn't even down shit. Just chugged right along at 1900 RPMs. Peak torque of 470ft lbs is something like 2400, so it makes sense it doesn't need to really downshift at all. Was super impressed.

Just to give you an idea of just how much weight was in the bed. You can see the sag here. Bed was FULL of tools and all kinds of stuff. Mine is the max tow with the heavier payload limit. Love it for hauling the boat. I've towed about 10k lbs worth of trailer/tractor with this thing on the highway and it didn't give a damn about that either. This is my first Ford, and it definitely won't be my last.
View attachment 140190
I habe firestone airbags on the raptor pretty much use em when towing the toy hauler 7100lbs empty ,will help you with the sagIMG-20201229-WA0036.jpg

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I habe firestone airbags on the raptor pretty much use em when towing the toy hauler 7100lbs empty ,will help you with the sagView attachment 140191
I rarely have that much weight in the bed while towing the boat. We were heading on a trip and I took just about half my garage with me and about half of our house it seemed. LOL! When just towing the boat it barely goes down at all and is perfectly level. I have air bags on my jeep, don't tow heavy enough often enough for me to worry about air bags on this truck.

OB WI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Try camping with a toddler for a week!

View attachment 140192
Question- is that a truxedo rolling cover. If so what do you have on the metal rail channels. Does it help with the loud squeaking while driving? I like to have the rear window open but when going slow all it sounds like is my bed is going to fall off.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
God help the poor souls with teenage girls... 🙏

...Actually I have no idea... I have 3 boys, 3-13.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Question- is that a truxedo rolling cover. If so what do you have on the metal rail channels. Does it help with the loud squeaking while driving? I like to have the rear window open but when going slow all it sounds like is my bed is going to fall off.
Correct. That is a Truxedo Sentry CT. Good eye!

I 100% hate the rattling this cover makes at any speed above 10mph. It's wildly annoying and having the rear slider (Love the airflow with just the slider and sunroof open) open makes it even more noticeable. Honestly the only thing I dislike about the cover, but it's a big dislike.

I talked with Truxedo about the rattling. Sent some emails to customer support with videos and description of the noise. The answer, while very friendly worded and otherwise exceptionally supportive was basically "yea, it does that. Sorry".

So I bought that foam you see there to try and help the issue. And it did for the first month or so until it permanently deformed into the shape you see there. The rattling is better, and somewhat less noticeable, but still very obvious and very much present.

The foam is from Home Depot I think, might have been Autozone, I can't remember. It's sold as the foam that goes between truck beds and topper caps to weather seal. It's maybe 3/8in thick, soft open cell rubber/foam with an adhesive backing. I think I have some left in the garage, I'll see if I can find it and snap a picture.

It's not a solution, but it does make it slightly better. I've been threatening to get some closed cell silicone and try that, but haven't been annoyed enough with the rattle to follow through.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been there my friend. My little boy is 6, so not too far ahead of ya in that respect. It has gotten worlds better since we don't have to bring the pack and play and all of that mess that goes along with it.
We've got a 9yr old running around as well. This pic was taken with the toddler just over 1yr old, and the oldest at just under 8yr old. We took damn near everything but the kitchen sink on that trip. Toys for both, food and drinks for the week, clothes, and seems like everything honestly.

Family we were traveling with had a 10yr old girl and a 19yr old girl. I think they had a cooler and 4 bags of clothes. They had so much less "stuff", but I could tell at the first rest/fuel/food break of the trip, we had FAR FAR less drama in the cab of the truck :) :)

I'll take the equipment packing for days over the enclosed space drama any time!

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
God help the poor souls with teenage girls... 🙏
I have 2 teenage girls, it isn't too bad. Until "that time" of the month when all 3 women in the house have synced up cycles. Then I just keep my mouth shut and spend a lot of time in the garage. ;)