• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Slip vs In and Out service

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking for a home for my AR190 this summer. I can either go wet slip or in and out service. It's going to be located on the Fox River in Illinois. Both are about the same cost. Would be nice to just get in and back out, but I'm not sure I want the boat sitting in that water 24/7. Any recommendations on pros or cons between the two? Obviously, with the in and out it will be sheltered and they launch you with bobcats which will be better for the kids and wife. They won't launch on their own. What else do I need to take into consideration on a wet slip? Is power a requirement? Thanks!

Having kept our boat in a slip every summer for the past 8 years, if in and out was available to me I'd take it in a heartbeat. That is, if it is a simple matter to call ahead and have your boat ready whenever you want to use it. A slip is super convenient in terms of being able to use the boat but it does put wear/tear on the boat and obviously drives a requirement for thorough/heavy cleaning at least once a season if not more. I'll still take the slip over having to store the boat elsewhere, trailer to the water, then deal with the ramp. Every. Flipping. Time.

I keep my boat in the water from May to October. Like @OrangeTJ says, it does cause some wear and tear on the boat if you keep it covered when not in use, it’s not that bad. Plus keeping it on a trailer and transporting whenever you want to use it causes a different type of wear and tear IMO.

And depending on how the water is, you’ll need to clean it at least at the end of the season which will take some (and maybe a lot) of elbow grease. By the end of the summer, my boat has a pretty nasty ring of gunk around the hull.

My boat is stored in a partially covered dry stack; it is more than 10 feet off the ground. I can schedule a launch by APP, phone or just show up. The marina has 2 negative forklifts and 2 launch docks. Also, the marina has about 15 wash racks. I never have to wait for anything.

I feel that this arrangement gives me the best balance of accessibility and security (weather and people).

The only time I would regret it would be if I wanted to boat outside of marina staff hours, but this has not been a problem. Also, I could have the boat left in the water over night in the over flow dockage for an early launch or a late return.

If your marina will provide this level of service, I would not wet slip. Of course, I am in salt water so wet slipping has a whole other problem.

I stored my AR190 in a covered high and dry last season and will continue to do that into the foreseeable future. One of the best boating decisions I have ever made. I show up and my boat is pulled from the storage rack and placed on a work rack where I remove the Yamaha cover, load up with whatever I bring along, then they put it in the water. They fill it with gas and away I go. When I return someone is always waiting at the dock to catch my lines and tie up. They take it out, put it on a work rack. I flush the engine, clean her up, put the cover on then they place it back in the storage rack. I love it. No boat ramp drama and no worries about the boat sitting in the water and crap growing on the bottom.

Ours sits in a covered slip on a lift. I cannot imagine any other option being better. However I would go with in and out if I didn’t have a lift.

Totally agreed ! The combination of a covered slip & lift (with Yamaha premium mooring cover) is the only reason boating is still my primary hobby.

Thanks for all the replies. The In and out was want I was leaning towards, but you all have made the decision easy! The place I'm looking at seems pretty easy to deal with, I'm close to the water and plan to do a lot of late afternoon dinner rides, I just need to make sure that I find a place where hours work with my needs!

Thanks for all the replies. The In and out was want I was leaning towards, but you all have made the decision easy! The place I'm looking at seems pretty easy to deal with, I'm close to the water and plan to do a lot of late afternoon dinner rides, I just need to make sure that I find a place where hours work with my needs!

Yes, definitely make sure that you can tie-up your boat after hours and that they will pull it first thing in the morning. Why? Because once you step onto Blarney's Island the fun factor is so high it's nearly impossible to leave!!! Especially Thursdays!!!

I've been to Blarney's as a passenger in the past. Hence my requirement for late night returns! :)

Looking for a home for my AR190 this summer. I can either go wet slip or in and out service. It's going to be located on the Fox River in Illinois. Both are about the same cost. Would be nice to just get in and back out, but I'm not sure I want the boat sitting in that water 24/7. Any recommendations on pros or cons between the two? Obviously, with the in and out it will be sheltered and they launch you with bobcats which will be better for the kids and wife. They won't launch on their own. What else do I need to take into consideration on a wet slip? Is power a requirement? Thanks!
My vote is for the dry stack. Call ahead and your boats ready for you. You don't have to worry about the bilge failing, sun damage or alge growth

I think is pretty common to allow you to tie up after hrs, they'll just stack ya 1st thing in the morning

I dry stacked last year and renewed again for next season. Fully enclosed warehouse of 225 boats. They lock it up every night. Downside was the lift is diesel and some soot does accumulate and isn’t super easy to get off things. They don’t always tighten up the premium mooring cover (it is a pain in the ass) so the starboard corner of swim deck gets dirty.

What did you end up doing? And what marine did you use, I just picked up my 255 and need to decide by the weekend if I want in&out or slip

I went with in and out. The Fox is a dirty river and unless you want to spend a bunch of money in the fall with acid wash and detailing, I'd pull after every use. With the in and out, you load up everything on land, get in, and they drop you in the water and your off. Call on way back and they are waiting with your trailer to pull you out.

Which marine?

Most of the time I don’t have the option to wet slip, even if I did I’d still launch and retrieve my boat each outing as it is much easier. I load up all my gear at the house, put the boat in and tie off to the launching dock, park my truck and get in the boat and go. If it was wet slipped I’d have to haul the fishing gear off the boat as well as the other items that could be stolen, all that stuff would have to hauled to the truck and conversely when I went out.

The exception is when I went to Lake Powell where I was literally on the boat for a week.

We've used the in and out at the Bald Knob on Pistakee for several years- it's now owned and run by the Boathouse at Bald Knob- nice staff, service and a great place.

I'm on the Lower Fox. The place I use is Port Barrington Marina. It's right across the river from the Broken Oar. Jimmy and JT that run it are super laid back and great to deal with. You can find them on facebook (Port Barrington Marina) or call them at (847) 381-1010. If you looking to be below the locks, I'd check them out. On the North side, I've heard good things about Boathouse as Jores recommended above, but I've never personally used them.

Back